Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

A proposal, in light of Madison’s withdrawal from the HHC

I hereby propose:

1. Columbus North and Silver Creek  be admitted to the HHC

2. Martinsville, Northview, and BNL be admitted to Conference Indiana 

3. Southport be admitted to the Mid-State Conference 

These groupings of schools would have a more compact geographic footprint than the current arrangement of conferences, in addition to having similar enrollment figures and growth numbers.

• Kill me now 1

I would not expect Conference Indiana to be around in 5 years. It will take the collapse of that conference to get Columbus North to move to the same conference as Columbus East (more trophies for everyone in Columbus if they aren’t competing with each other). From a competitive standpoint across all sports, I think it makes sense to have Madison, Silver Creek, Seymour, Jennings County, Scottsburg, and Brownstown Central in a 6 team conference. Then the Hoosier Hills can stay an 8 team conference by adding Bloomington North, Bloomington South, and Columbus North to the remaining 5 members (Columbus East, BNL, Floyd Central, New Albany, and Jeffersonville).

How about this option?

Hoosier Hills: BNL, Columbus East, Floyd Central, Jeffersonville, New Albany, Seymour

MSC East: Brownstown Central, Charlestown, Jennings County, Madison, Scottsburg, Silver Creek

MSC West: Clarksville, Corydon, Eastern, North Harrison, Providence, Salem

1 hour ago, HoopsCoach said:

I would not expect Conference Indiana to be around in 5 years. It will take the collapse of that conference to get Columbus North to move to the same conference as Columbus East (more trophies for everyone in Columbus if they aren’t competing with each other). From a competitive standpoint across all sports, I think it makes sense to have Madison, Silver Creek, Seymour, Jennings County, Scottsburg, and Brownstown Central in a 6 team conference. Then the Hoosier Hills can stay an 8 team conference by adding Bloomington North, Bloomington South, and Columbus North to the remaining 5 members (Columbus East, BNL, Floyd Central, New Albany, and Jeffersonville).

North does not want to lose its Indy connections.  They will join the HCC when CI blows up.  East is a southern Indiana school, while North is a central Indiana school.  I thought we covered this.  

3 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

I hereby propose:

1. Columbus North and Silver Creek  be admitted to the HHC

2. Martinsville, Northview, and BNL be admitted to Conference Indiana 

3. Southport be admitted to the Mid-State Conference 

These groupings of schools would have a more compact geographic footprint than the current arrangement of conferences, in addition to having similar enrollment figures and growth numbers.

No way Martinsville leaves the Mid state.  They have competitive balance with similar sized schools and low travel.  Best case snenario for them

Perry Meridian has blocking veto privileges against Southport.  Cardinals will remain in no man's land

2 hours ago, DT said:

North does not want to lose its Indy connections.  They will join the HCC when CI blows up.  East is a southern Indiana school, while North is a central Indiana school.  I thought we covered this.  

Would you please educate me on this? Legitimate interest here and I can't say I read too many threads concerning the Columbus schools.

Columbus HS, later North was a founding member, 1936, of the South Central Conference. At the time the conference included Greencastle, Connersville, Franklin, Martinsville, Rushville, and Shelbyville. Within a couple of years Greensburg, Indianapolis Washington, and Seymour joined. Washington left in pretty short order, like 3-4 years later. I'm not sure any of that qualifies as "Indy" connections, as I recall back in the day, there were clear distinctions as you headed up 31 between Franklin, Whiteland, Greenwood, and Indy. It's not like today when you get to Franklin, you're in Indy. 

Southport was added in 51 or so and left in the mid-60's. Bloomington HS, now BHSS, was added in 64. Center Grove entered in 91. 

When the SCC finally fell apart in 97, Columbus North left with several other current and former members to form Conference Indiana, a ten team conference. I'm assuming this is where the Indy connection comes in. It should be noted that several of those original 10 have moved on to greener pastures: DC, FC, PM, LC, Martinsville, and Pike. The lone "Indy connection" currently being Southport. CN has routinely been placed in the same sectional with CG however, several of those years the sectional consisting of CG, CN, Jeffersonville, and New Albany. 

In the grand scheme of things, I suppose it's a little bit faster for Columbus North to get to the interstate to head north than it is for Columbus East to get the interstate to head south. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

In the grand scheme of things, I suppose it's a little bit faster for Columbus North to get to the interstate to head north than it is for Columbus East to get the interstate to head south. 

Unfortunately, Columbus North also does a few trips a year to Terre Haute, which isn’t closer than Indy.

6 hours ago, NEWGUY said:

I do not see the EIAC expanding by 2 more schools, especially schools that are over an hour away for most of the schools already in the EIAC.  

Valid point, but east and west divisions could present themselves. So no Madison to connersville trips. 

13 hours ago, GoodKn19ht said:

Valid point, but east and west divisions could present themselves. So no Madison to connersville trips. 

EIAC currently uses a 3A/4A split in Football, which doesn't bode well for adding an odd number. Currently  eight schools all play each other, regardless of class, so seven conference games with two non-conference. The exception to that Rushville and East Central only play six conference games, obviously not playing each other.  I'm not sure if this was a scheduling anomaly or what. Rushville's schedule doesn't look like it's changed since their first year in the conference, when they played EC week 1. There are a lot of traditional rivalries in the EIAC, obviously Rushville and Connersville being the outliers equation. I don't know what the conference by-laws require as far as playing conference FB games. EC has some non-conference traditional rivalries, Harrison and Roncalli come to mind, I'm not sure they'd be on board with adding a bad conference game and lose the gate for traditional rivals. 

2 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

EC has some non-conference traditional rivalries, Harrison and Roncalli come to mind, I'm not sure they'd be on board with adding a bad conference game and lose the gate for traditional rivals. 

I'm not sure how bad they really want to be in the conference as it is.