Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

A proposal, in light of Madison’s withdrawal from the HHC

1 minute ago, GoodKn19ht said:

I'm not sure how bad they really want to be in the conference as it is. 

I can't speak to that, I have no idea, nor have I talked to anyone in the know. Purely my opinion I would think it's a pretty good fit for them, a handful of competitive games, decent gates, some gimme's to get healed, and the flexibility to go play 3 non-conference games where ever they like. EC has never shied away from OH and KY schools. 

1 minute ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I can't speak to that, I have no idea, nor have I talked to anyone in the know. Purely my opinion I would think it's a pretty good fit for them, a handful of competitive games, decent gates, some gimme's to get healed, and the flexibility to go play 3 non-conference games where ever they like. EC has never shied away from OH and KY schools. 

Certainly just an opinion on my end as well, I personally just like a little change in the schedule from time to time. I wish it changed every couple years, just like the sectional alignment. 

25 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

Wrong HHC; Lame joke also.

My bad, I thought the Hoosier Heritage (as opposed to the Hoosier Heartland) Conference was being referred to.  It wasn't a joke as conference affiliations are much more than just football teams.  Back in the day, I had to go to remote outposts such as Delphi, Rossville, and Crown Point High Schools for sports other than football on weeknights.  I still was National Honor Society, but it took a lot of work...

Edited by Gipper

9 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

That makes no geographic sense.

People are kind of missing the forest for the trees here: conferences need to be about geography first and foremost.  Intriguing matchups are great, but when it comes with a long bus ride, that kind of defeats the purpose.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gipper said:

People are kind of missing the forest for the trees here: conferences need to be about geography first and foremost.  Intriguing matchups are great, but when it comes with a long bus ride, that kind of defeats the purpose.

And a conference that includes schools in Columbus and Terre Haute makes no sense; particularly when factoring in that another Columbus high school is in a much more geographically compact conference.

17 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

And a conference that includes schools in Columbus and Terre Haute makes no sense; particularly when factoring in that another Columbus high school is in a much more geographically compact conference.

Exactly.  I know it's tough for the Hautians, but what else are they gonna do?  I think the next biggest schools in the area are Martinsville, Mooresville, Plainfield, South Vermillion, and West Vigo.

2 hours ago, Gipper said:

Exactly.  I know it's tough for the Hautians, but what else are they gonna do?  I think the next biggest schools in the area are Martinsville, Mooresville, Plainfield, South Vermillion, and West Vigo.

Northview is a neighboring school for both Terre Haute schools and they have 975 students.  Owen Valley is not too far away and their enrollment is around 715.  Northview can compete with THN and THS in several sports, but Owen Valley would struggle.  Mooresville, Plainfield, and Decatur Central are all about an hour from Terre Haute, and Martinsville is about an hour and 20 minutes.  I don’t see any of those schools being eager to leave the Mid-State Conference to pair up with THN/THS, and the other Mid-State schools farther east would have no interest in bringing them into the conference.  They would be a competitive fit in the Mid-State, but not a good geographic fit.  That is probably the best place those two schools could go.

10 minutes ago, HoopsCoach said:

Northview is a neighboring school for both Terre Haute schools and they have 975 students.  Owen Valley is not too far away and their enrollment is around 715.  Northview can compete with THN and THS in several sports, but Owen Valley would struggle.  Mooresville, Plainfield, and Decatur Central are all about an hour from Terre Haute, and Martinsville is about an hour and 20 minutes.  I don’t see any of those schools being eager to leave the Mid-State Conference to pair up with THN/THS, and the other Mid-State schools farther east would have no interest in bringing them into the conference.  They would be a competitive fit in the Mid-State, but not a good geographic fit.  That is probably the best place those two schools could go.

Thanks, as I said I've been north of 24 for awhile...

1 hour ago, HoopsCoach said:

Martinsville also has old rivalries with the Bloomington schools, as well as Bedford.

On 2/13/2020 at 9:50 AM, HoopsCoach said:

According to the Indiana DOE Compass, Northview HS's feeder middle school has larger classes, which would bring Northview HS's enrollment above 1100 within 4 years, and closer to 1200 after that. 

Terre Haute North HS has under 1700 students this year, putting it on parallel with Bloomington South for enrollment. Martinsville's enrollment will be closer to 1200 in less than a decade; BNL will be in the same situation. All of the schools in my proposal have, or will have, more in common with one another than with anyone else. 

5 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

According to the Indiana DOE Compass, Northview HS's feeder middle school has larger classes, which would bring Northview HS's enrollment above 1100 within 4 years, and closer to 1200 after that. 

Did you look at the enrollment trend of both schools?  North Clay Middle School and Northview High School have both had declining enrollments for at least the last 5 years.  North Clay has gone from over 860 to just under 800, and Northview has gone from 1050 to 975.

2 hours ago, HoopsCoach said:

Did you look at the enrollment trend of both schools?  North Clay Middle School and Northview High School have both had declining enrollments for at least the last 5 years.  North Clay has gone from over 860 to just under 800, and Northview has gone from 1050 to 975.

The classes in the elementaries have larger class sizes.

On 2/12/2020 at 10:14 AM, Gipper said:

My bad, I thought the Hoosier Heritage (as opposed to the Hoosier Heartland) Conference was being referred to.  It wasn't a joke as conference affiliations are much more than just football teams.  Back in the day, I had to go to remote outposts such as Delphi, Rossville, and Crown Point High Schools for sports other than football on weeknights.  I still was National Honor Society, but it took a lot of work...

Lol.  A south Newton alum calls Crown Point remote

Call the doctor!