Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hoosier Conference 2019

Good Morning Hoosier Conference 

Been a long time!!  

Hope all is well in the land of Mixers, POWS, GIFs, Highlighted texts, and of course @CoachDurham and @foxbat  the only 2 who have multiple Caddies!!! 

Any News or Notes to share?   

Westside: 

Rensselaer had a nice article in the Post Tribune this week.   Look for a huge announcement on another thread later today  regarding week 1 in land of WagonMasters 

West Lafayette:  Their offseason saw 6'5 WR Truitt verbal to Miami, OH, QB Adams give his verbal to James Madison, a FCS MONSTER program in the playoff system, winning a National Title in 2016 and of course National recruit heading into his JR year, Yanni Karlaftis who will have choice of any program essentially in the nation.  I believe they also had a slew of other players offered D2 this off season as well   

Twin Lakes:   With WL getting sent to the land of Indy Parorchials, (did IHSAA think WL was private school?) for sectionals, Twin Lakes is left along with Benton Central to hang out in Lake County for tournament play.   Could the Indians be the favorites come week 10?   Lots of positive buzz up in my neck of the woods along the Crown Point Square on the off season of Calumet, so beware of the Warriors.  

Lafayette Central Catholic :   Year 2 of Coach Nay system looks to improve from their 5-7 record last year, they have SOPH arm of Barrett who got alot of meaningful game time last year as just a freshman.   LCC starts off with 3 non conference games against 3a Tri West, 3a Guerin and 3a Northwestern.   LCC does not play a 1a school until week 10.   

EASTSIDE:  

Cass:   Returns a BOAT LOAD of very talented skill position players in a mix of Wing T and Spread RPO action.   They were tough out last year and will be again this year.   

Western:  Power run game is back in Russiaville this year for Coach Stewart's version of the Gun Wing T.   Panthers have JR OL ERB who is one physical specimen, and I am sure a whole lot more based on their off season weight room numbers posted!!  Mercy!!

Hamilton Heights:  Year 2 of Coach Kirschner will see their "luck" change as they were devastated by injuries early last year, I will defer to my man @gonzoron on all things Heights, as long as I can keep him out of the OOB dungeon!!

Tipton@Fballfan15 was chilling over in the CIC threads already, studying up on their new sectional alignment, Welcome back to the NORTH Tipton, that southern hospitality isn't all that its cracked up to be, I am sure!!   Sounds like a transition year for Blue Devils, based on amount of Soph/JR playing, but will vastly improved throughout the year.  Though I believe just because your younger, if you have talent, it will show thru!!  

Northwestern:   Coach Robison takes the reins for year 2 of his stint at NW, after a tough start last year losing their coach, he stepped up big time and you could see staple of his principles coming through as the season went on.  NW has had a lot of coaching turnover last few years, but he is there to stay (lewis Cass grad) and I know he is very excited about the finish of the facilities!!    Opposing teams, bring your ROKU on the road to NW this year, plug into their 75 inch flat screen TV's inside the locker room for Hudl Sideline halftime and or You Tube videos of Farming (that is our plan at least)   

Its great to be back Hoosier Conference!!!      

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Tipton@Fballfan15 was chilling over in the CIC threads already, studying up on their new sectional alignment, Welcome back to the NORTH Tipton, that southern hospitality isn't all that its cracked up to be, I am sure!!   Sounds like a transition year for Blue Devils, based on amount of Soph/JR playing, but will vastly improved throughout the year.  Though I believe just because your younger, if you have talent, it will show thru!!

I’m glad to be back in the North mostly because it just makes the most sense. No more hour+ drives for a Sectional game. I’m excited for this season because I think even though there are several unknowns with lot of new faces out there, it’s still a talented group. Losing 16 starters is tough for any team but i don’t there will be a huge drop off like there was in ‘14. This team could still have a great year and win a lot of games. Sr. OL/DL Kobe Stephens is back after being Jr. All-State last year. Jr. RB/LB Jayvin Lyons is back after being Jr. All State as a sophomore. I expect Lyons to be the best player on the field in most games. Kid is an animal. Also Jr. Wr/S Drew Pearce is back and is a big time playmaker.  New QB Sam Edwards will be key as he has some huge shoes to fill. He’s not real big(5’10) but he’s very elusive in the open field and throws a pretty good ball. Not to look ahead but I think there will only be a few seniors starting so Tipton could return something like 17-18 starters for 2020. I look for this years team to continue to get better all year and peak come tournament time. Ready for Friday!

• Like 1

• 6 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

For Tipton:   Who is wearing these numbers?  

Isn't Coach Tolle's kid a QB?  JR?  

If you would have attended Corn Night, you'd know!

I must have missed the week 1 announcement about the Bombers. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

For Tipton:   Who is wearing these numbers?  

Isn't Coach Tolle's kid a QB?  JR?  

2 Sam Edwards- Starting QB

3 Drew Pearce- WR/S

33 have no clue. 

87 Jayce(Sam’s twin) Edwards- Starting WR(yes it’s a WR not a RB this year)

Coach Tolle’s son is 81 and will start at WR. He is just a sophomore. He played QB in middle school. 

WESTERN:   HUGE!!!! 

The offensive line is loaded with experience. Seniors Blake Banter (5-10, 245), Reece Pelgen (6-2, 275) and Ian Sheroan (6-2, 245) and junior Brayden Erb (6-1, 240) are returning starters. Erb was a Class 4A underclass all-state pick last year.

Stewart also likes his O-line depth. Senior Isaac Bourff (6-4, 290) likely will take other starting spot with senior A.J. Swing (6-0, 215), junior Coby Tuggle (5-10, 245) and sophomore Rhett Berryman (6-0, 235) all in the mix for time as well.

Western’s D-line looks powerful with 6-8, 310-pound junior Dan Marley and the 245-pound Tuggle clogging the inside and the 240-pound Erb and Jarvis on the ends. Erb had 69 tackles, 14 tackles for loss and four sacks last season.

LCC is looking very good this year.  After their fall from grace after having 3 different coaches in 4 years, the kids seem to have a good grip on the offensive and defensive schemes.  Lots of speed, more depth, and everyone looks a lot stronger.  Freshman class reminds me of the seniors from the state championship team that graduated in 2010. It's gonna be a great day to be a knight this Friday in Lizton.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

WESTERN:   HUGE!!!! 

The offensive line is loaded with experience. Seniors Blake Banter (5-10, 245), Reece Pelgen (6-2, 275) and Ian Sheroan (6-2, 245) and junior Brayden Erb (6-1, 240) are returning starters. Erb was a Class 4A underclass all-state pick last year.

Stewart also likes his O-line depth. Senior Isaac Bourff (6-4, 290) likely will take other starting spot with senior A.J. Swing (6-0, 215), junior Coby Tuggle (5-10, 245) and sophomore Rhett Berryman (6-0, 235) all in the mix for time as well.

Western’s D-line looks powerful with 6-8, 310-pound junior Dan Marley and the 245-pound Tuggle clogging the inside and the 240-pound Erb and Jarvis on the ends. Erb had 69 tackles, 14 tackles for loss and four sacks last season.

Their OL/DL will definitely be the strength of their team. I don’t think they’ll have anyone carrying it the caliber of Knepley or Gifford but will still have some really good backs. I look for the Padgett kid to have a really big year for them. It’ll be interesting to see how the use Engle at QB. When he was a youngster at Tipton I always thought he’d be a big time passer. Not a lot of opportunities in that offense though. Well at least in the past. Be interesting to see if they let him sling it around a little bit.

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Why pass when average 8 yards a run?   

At least that is my philosophy   

There are some great concepts out of Western's offense in the pass game, it is just not your typical Spread zone blocking, pass game style.  

I guess I’m just going off our game with them last year. He was 0/3 passing and ran 2 times for -6 yards. He averaged 6.3 pass attempts per game so he had a little more opportunity in other games. Just be interesting if he gets to throw it more often. Talented kid. But you’re right, if they’re averaging 8 yards per carry, I doubt he gets the chance. 

8 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Congrats to Lewis Cass head coach Jeff Phillips and the rest of the Kings as they earned Indianapolis Colts Coach of the Week honors from the entire state!!

Love what Coach Phillips and the rest of the staff is doing up in Walton, IN. Stay healthy and consistently get better every week and these Cass boys will make a lot of noise come November in the North

The only change is 87 is normally our starting RB but this year 87 is being worn by a WR. 81 and 3 are still the other WR’s per usual and 2 is our QB. I love the tradition as well. Mike Tolle said back in I believe ‘93 that Dwengers coach said to him “I already know 2 is your QB, 87 is your stud RB and 81 is your stud WR.” He was correct. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Thanks to @dcjjones  multi year Booster

Best Wishes tonight Hoosier Conference.   Just rolled through beautiful Rossville, IN, home of the Hornets.   

I have always been puzzled by the fact that Roseville doesn’t have a football team. My understanding is that they have good sign-ups for their elementary school development league.  If so, the interest sounds like it is there.