Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hoosier Conference 2019

Pretty physical WR here;

https://www.jconline.com/story/sports/2019/09/12/west-lafayette-nationally-touted-linebacker-recruit-yanni-karlaftis-emerges-offense/2294796001/

WEST LAFAYETTE — Don't misconstrue Yanni Karlaftis.

He's a linebacker despite what his offensive stats will tell you.

That's why Penn State offered the West Lafayette junior on Wednesday. 

It's why several other college football programs — including Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Boston College, Nebraska, Cincinnati, Indiana and Purdue — have done the same.

"I like defense," said Karlaftis, who led last year's Class 3A state champions in tackles. "I like knocking people's heads off. That is kind of my thing I feel like."

Prior to moving to West Lafayette, Karlaftis was a world judo champion in Greece. He is a former high jumper and also was the leading scorer and rebounder for West Lafayette's sectional championship basketball team last season.

Good article in JCOnline spotlighting LCC's Daniel Roach:

https://www.jconline.com/story/sports/2019/09/11/daniel-roach-central-catholics-iron-man/2283193001/ ... some free access, but behind a paywall after a few free accesses of JCOnline

I have a video of him making a pick on a trips right formation back when he was in 3rd grade ... it made one of the finalist slots in the Dick's Sporting Goods contest that year for sports videos.  Really good field sense even all the way back then .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

Good article in JCOnline spotlighting LCC's Daniel Roach:

https://www.jconline.com/story/sports/2019/09/11/daniel-roach-central-catholics-iron-man/2283193001/ ... some free access, but behind a paywall after a few free accesses of JCOnline

I have a video of him making a pick on a trips right formation back when he was in 3rd grade ... it made one of the finalist slots in the Dick's Sporting Goods contest that year for sports videos.  Really good field sense even all the way back then .

If you open the link in Incognito mode in Chrome you can read the full article.

• Like 1

Cass beats Tipton 28-7. This game was a defensive battle most of the way. 7-0 at half and 13-0 after 3. Really impressed with our young D. They gave up a TD after a big punt return in the first half. Cass converted 2 4th downs on another drive to get a score and then the backbreaker was we fumbled on the 10 on first down and Cass scooped and took it 90 yards to the house. Overall I am very pleased with the way we played. Cass is basically all seniors. They’re a very talented and experienced team that could make a deep tournament run. Eurit is the real deal! Would love to see them against Rensselaer. Nowlin and company has them rolling again.

36 minutes ago, Fballfan15 said:

. Nowlin and company has them rolling again.

Company and Nowlin indeed.   Played well tonight for sure.  Twin Lakes did as well and moved the ball but we got key stops when needed and had a nice balance of offense tonight.   

https://www.maxpreps.com/games/9-13-2019/football-fall-19/rensselaer-central-vs-twin-lakes.htm?c=VyfPR5Yi8EWZyE_LBsyQqQ#tab=box-score&schoolid=6d161a93-4e2e-42d5-9260-173ca6cdf751

16 hours ago, Fballfan15 said:

Cass beats Tipton 28-7. This game was a defensive battle most of the way. 7-0 at half and 13-0 after 3. Really impressed with our young D. They gave up a TD after a big punt return in the first half. Cass converted 2 4th downs on another drive to get a score and then the backbreaker was we fumbled on the 10 on first down and Cass scooped and took it 90 yards to the house. Overall I am very pleased with the way we played. Cass is basically all seniors. They’re a very talented and experienced team that could make a deep tournament run. Eurit is the real deal! Would love to see them against Rensselaer. Nowlin and company has them rolling again.

With the victory over Tipton, that pretty much puts Cass in the driver's seat in the HC East with only Western to potentially keep Cass from getting to dance with West Lafayette, who has pretty much already sent notice that the bus is parked already in the West, two out of the last three weeks of the regular season.  Would probably have to wait until regionals to see Cass and RCHS mix it up on the gridiron provided that both make it out of their respective sectionals.

I could see Western Cass in a high scoring affair, similar to the webo game 

WL, they are Ok,  :classic_laugh: 

Though don't if WL defense has seen a position player this year yet, called a TIGHT END, let alone, 2 of them,  AT THE SAME TIME  :classic_biggrin:   Defensive coaches may have to review what those positions look like.   

Gonna be a great challenge.    I think we may run a 1-1-9  Umbrella 

10 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I could see Western Cass in a high scoring affair, similar to the webo game 

WL, they are Ok,  :classic_laugh: 

Though don't if WL defense has seen a position player this year yet, called a TIGHT END, let alone, 2 of them,  AT THE SAME TIME  :classic_biggrin:   Defensive coaches may have to review what those positions look like.   

Gonna be a great challenge.    I think we may run a 1-1-9  Umbrella 

Investing in some anti-aircraft guns wouldn't hurt either.  😀

12 hours ago, wabashalwaysfights said:

I've seen you guys do something like this before.  If memory serves correct it was more of a 2-9 Umbrella...

been at it 17 years   gonna have to jog my memory?    BC game, Seeger game?  mid 2000's?   

http://indianahsfootball.homestead.com/files/confHoosier.htm#loaded

HOOSIER
ALL TIMES EASTERN
East Division
  CONFERENCE ALL GAMES
  W-L Pts OP W-L Pts OP Streak
Cass 1-0 28 7 4-  0 173 35 Won 4
Hamilton Heights 1-0 36 0 1-  3 80 128 Won 1
Western 0-0 0 0 3-  1 161 97 Won 1
Tipton 0-1 7 28 3-  1 107 62 Lost 1
Northwestern 0-1 0 36 0-  4 28 134 Lost 5
West Division
  CONFERENCE ALL GAMES
Rensselaer 1-0 35 0 4-  0 116 38 Won 4
West Lafayette 1-0 50 0 3-  1 218 97 Won 3
Benton Central 0-0 0 0 0-  4 28 228 Lost 15
Central Catholic 0-1 0 50 1-  3 81 134 Lost 1
Twin Lakes 0-1 0 35 1-  3 45 92 Lost 2

23 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

been at it 17 years   gonna have to jog my memory?    BC game, Seeger game?  mid 2000's?   

I had to chuckle a bit at the thought of Seeger airing it out enough to warrant rushing 2 and dropping 9.  Fall of 2011 v. BC.  We had Rooze at QB and Fischback as our leading WR.  Very physical game, but not uncommon at all for you guys to literally have two guys with hands in the dirt and 9 on their feet in coverage.  

• Like 1

https://www.colts.com/community/highschoolfootball/

RENSSELAER CENTRAL (4-0) AT WEST LAFAYETTE (3-1)

KICKOFF: 8 p.m. EDT, Straley Field.

COACHES: Chris Meeks, 163-82 in 21st season at Rensselaer. Shane Fry, 71-13 in seventh season at West Lafayette.

LAST CONTEST: Rensselaer beat Twin Lakes, 35-0. West Lafayette beat Lafayette Central Catholic, 50-0.

TOP PERFORMERS: Noah Bierma tallied eight rushes for 41 yards for the No. 4 (Class 2A) Bombers against Twin Lakes. Kyle Adams went 19-of-25 for 286 yards and four scores for the No. 1 (Class 3A) Red Devils against Lafayette Central Catholic.

PREVIOUS MEETING: West Lafayette, 69-14, on September 14, 2018.

CHALK TALK: “West Lafayette is extremely loaded once again and a definite favorite to repeat as Class 3A state champs. They are very well-coached and do not make mistakes. Their quarterback, Kyle Adams, is a candidate for Mr. Football and rightfully so. He is an extremely accurate passer with numerous weapons surrounding him. And defensively, they are anchored by one of the top linebackers in the country, Yanni Karlaftis. Their defense is very athletic and plays downhill. For us to be successful, we need to be able to control the ball and finish drives out with scores. We will also need to execute flawlessly on both sides of the ball and limit their big plays.” – Rensselaer Central’s Chris Meeks.

“We will need to get their offense off the field. Rensselaer runs a unique offense and we need to be disciplined on defense in order to get stops. We also need to win the turnover battle because turnovers always play a huge part in big games. On offense, we really need to protect our quarterback. Rensselaer always has some exotic stunts and blitzes they bring at us, so we need to be ready for anything.” – West Lafayette’s Shane Fry.

• Like 1

Congrats to RDP, tremendous team yet again.   So many ways they can hurt you with their scheme offensively.  Quick sideline to sideline again on defense, thought their big NG played tremendous for them as does #44 Sophomore, very tough kid.  Lamont Johnson also still on the team, seems like he has been there for ever anchoring this year's defense from ILB spot.  HUGE Weapon this year for WL, their KICKER, very very good leg.  Drilled a 46 yarder in 4th quarter, very impressive.   Sectional 28 is going to be your state champion.  Im all in on WL.

We executed the game plan on both sides of the ball well 1st half.  WL scores 1st, quickly after we go 3 and out give them the ball.  We go on a drive, not sure if it was 2nd drive of game or 3rd.  We pop a 58 yard run for TD, 2pt no good, 7-6.  Ensuing Kickoff, WL fair catches, but muffs it but there is a discussion and we have to rekick, inadvertent whistle.   It happens.   I believe WL scores next drive, then we go on a nice drive, aided by a 15 yard penalty on 4th and 4, 15 yards, was told WL was simulating our punt snap.  Extends drive.  Get down inside the 3, score on a run, but we have an illegal motion penalty, good call, now 3rd and goal from 6, can't get it in, this was with about 90 seconds or so in half.   Get WL to the half from midfield.  WL to start half, they score, then line up and execute a flawless onside, and then we were playing catchup from there on out after they scored 21 3rd quarter points.    Our stat guy said we kept the ball all but 5 minutes of the 1st half.  

We had WL for 496 yards, 200 some rushing and Adams was his typical self, almost 300 yards and 4 touchdowns.  

Kyle Adams is absolutely in the mix for Mr. Football.  So talented, such a playmaker and has total control of all aspects of their offense.  

https://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/rensselaer-central-bombers-(rensselaer,in)/football/home.htm

Also nice to reconnect with @nmsu_aggie post game, just wish I kept a pocket wagonmaster for him!!   

Looks like LCC had a great win vs Tipton 

Western rolled

TL rolled

Cass Rolled 

After next week, week 9 could become more clearer   

Friday, Sep. 20
Central Catholic 24, Tipton 14
Cass 52, Northwestern 6 ©
Twin Lakes 61, Benton Central 7 ©
West Lafayette 44, Rensselaer 6 ©
Western 51, Hamilton Heights 13 ©

**** Doing film*****   That FG WL hit was 45 yards and good from 55.   That was a BOMB.  

Also, didn't realize it at the time, We ran the last play of the 1st quarter and turned the ball over on downs at the 1 yard line 20 plays later, 11 mins.  Almost had it the entire 2nd quarter.   

Thought we played fairly well despite being down 7 starters. Not having our stud Lyons really hurt us as well as our other RB. Really struggled to run the ball. Thought passing game got better tonight throwing for over 200. Started 6 sophomores and 4 juniors on defense and they played fairly well outside of some big pass plays. I think LCC soph QB has a bright future. He looks the part for sure and had some really nice throws. Roach #23 is a stud as well. Also first time being at LCC since they installed the new grass. Looks awesome! I would say there’s a great chance this game will be played again in 4 weeks. 

On 9/21/2019 at 9:19 AM, Fballfan15 said:

Thought we played fairly well despite being down 7 starters. Not having our stud Lyons really hurt us as well as our other RB. Really struggled to run the ball. Thought passing game got better tonight throwing for over 200. Started 6 sophomores and 4 juniors on defense and they played fairly well outside of some big pass plays. I think LCC soph QB has a bright future. He looks the part for sure and had some really nice throws. Roach #23 is a stud as well. Also first time being at LCC since they installed the new grass. Looks awesome! I would say there’s a great chance this game will be played again in 4 weeks. 

Should hold up really well this season.  LCC only ends up with three home games this regular season and two have already been played.  Got a chance to play on it last night with the youth program and it was nice.

17 minutes ago, XStar said:

How do you guys determine your matchups for the last week?

East vs. West. 1 through 5. I believe this year it's East AT West.

HOOSIER
ALL TIMES EASTERN
East Division
  CONFERENCE ALL GAMES
Cass 2-0 80 13 5-  0 225 41 Won 5
Western 1-0 51 13 4-  1 212 110 Won 2
Hamilton Heights 1-1 49 51 1-  4 93 179 Lost 1
Tipton 0-1 7 28 3-  2 121 86 Lost 2
Northwestern 0-2 6 88 0-  5 34 186 Lost 6
West Division
  CONFERENCE ALL GAMES
West Lafayette 2-0 94 6 4-  1 262 103 Won 4
Rensselaer 1-1 41 44 4-  1 122 82 Lost 1
Twin Lakes 1-1 61 42 2-  3 106 99 Won 1
Central Catholic 0-1 0 50 2-  3 105 148 Won 1
Benton Central 0-1 7 61 0-  5 35 289 Lost 16
Edited by gonzoron
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WL is clear #1 in the West.  

Big week to determine seeding of week 9 

NEXT 2 WEEKS:

Friday, Sep. 27
Central Catholic at Rensselaer ©, 8 pm
Northwestern at Tipton ©, 7 pm
Twin Lakes at Hamilton Heights, 7:30 pm
West Lafayette at Benton Central ©, 7 pm
Western at Cass ©, 7 pm
Friday, Oct. 4
Hamilton Heights at Tipton ©, 7 pm
Central Catholic at Twin Lakes ©, 7 pm
Rensselaer at Benton Central ©, 8 pm
West Lafayette at Cass, 7 pm
Western at Northwestern ©, 7 pm

RCHS beats LCC this week, that puts the Bombers in the drivers seat for playing in the 3rd/4th place game week 9

On the EAST SIDE:  HUGE MATCHUP THIS WEEK

Cass speed and skill vs Westerns Power and sprinkled in speed.  If Cass wins, that puts them in driver's seat for #1 slot on East division, if that plays out that way, then Cass gets to play WL week 7 and week 9

Western finishes their regular season with all EAST division teams starting with Cass.  

Fun time of year and Sectional draw looms large for all coming in 2 Sundays!!!

NEXT 2 WEEKS:

Friday, Sep. 27
Western at Cass ©, 7 pm
Friday, Oct. 4

RCHS beats LCC this week, that puts the Bombers in the drivers seat for playing in the 3rd/4th place game week 9

Cass speed and skill vs Westerns Power and sprinkled in speed.  If Cass wins, that puts them in driver's seat for #1 slot on East division, if that plays out that way, then Cass gets to play WL week 7 and week 9

Western finishes their regular season with all EAST division teams starting with Cass.  

26 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

NEXT 2 WEEKS:

Friday, Sep. 27
Western at Cass ©, 7 pm
Friday, Oct. 4

LOVE LOVE LOVE this conference format.

It is high level of coaching and players and systems each and every week it seems. 

Watching LCC this weekend and today.  They are the best 2-3 team in small class football in my opinion.   They gave Guerin all they wanted  most of the 1st half until some things went south late 2nd quarter for them.  Same Guerin team that just beat 6a Columbus North.   Beat Tipton, who is valid 2a team.  Took their WL medicine already and played very competitive week 1 game vs Tri West.   They are the hands down favorite to win sectional 42 in my humbled opinion and they may go into the tournament with a sub 500 record and being playing in Semi State 

SECTIONAL 41
SECT.
RANK
STATE
RANK
TEAM OVERALL
RATING
SCHEDULE
STRENGTH RANK
RECENT
RATING   RANK
PREDICTOR
RATING   RANK
1 175 Culver 36.68 20.94 276 36.19 182 37.54 174
2 176 North Judson 36.38 35.87 191 36.60 179 36.01 180
3 231 Winamac 25.71 50.70 105 24.84 233 26.01 228
4 276 South Central (Union Mills) 10.93 38.15 179 9.87 279 10.99 275
5 291 West Central 5.21 0.81 312 6.15 288 4.54 291
6 314 Lake Station -17.19 19.93 284 -14.63 313 -17.84 315
7 317 Gary Roosevelt -18.70 20.58 279 -19.11 317 -19.87 317
8 319 South Newton -31.29 9.18 306 -31.12 319 -31.27 319
SECTIONAL 42
SECT.
RANK
STATE
RANK
TEAM OVERALL
RATING
SCHEDULE
STRENGTH RANK
RECENT
RATING   RANK
PREDICTOR
RATING   RANK
1 137 Lafayette Central Catholic 48.64 59.77 66 49.20 131 48.63 136
2 195 Traders Point Christian 34.49 3.40 309 35.99 183 34.74 194
3 210 Clinton Prairie 31.07 17.70 291 30.75 211 31.92 205
4 260 Carroll (Flora) 16.98 2.72 310 17.80 254 17.15 259
5 277 Clinton Central 10.72 13.64 301 10.07 277 10.74 276
6 288 Frontier 6.05 -5.57 317 10.64 275 5.00 290
7 304 North White -2.45 3.76 308 -3.36 305 -1.91 304
8 313 Tri-County -14.71 0.44 313 -16.49 315 -15.63 313
  • Like 1

It is high level of coaching and players and systems each and every week it seems. 

Watching LCC this weekend and today.  They are the best 2-3 team in small class football in my opinion.   They gave Guerin all they wanted  most of the 1st half until some things went south late 2nd quarter for them.  Same Guerin team that just beat 6a Columbus North.   Beat Tipton, who is valid 2a team.  Took their WL medicine already and played very competitive week 1 game vs Tri West.   They are the hands down favorite to win sectional 42 in my humbled opinion and they may go into the tournament with a sub 500 record and being playing in Semi State 

SECTIONAL 41
SECT.
RANK
STATE
RANK
TEAM OVERALL
RATING
SCHEDULE
STRENGTH RANK
RECENT
RATING   RANK
PREDICTOR