Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hoosier Conference 2019

19 hours ago, foxbat said:

LCC represents the Hoosier Conference as the last remaining team in the tourney as Andrean eliminated Cass last night after knocking off fellow-Hoosier member, RCHS, the week before.  LCC will face Adams Central who pulled off an upset defeating Adams County rival, South Adams, in a revenge game last night.  LCC notches its second post season title, following on last week's sectional title, of the Brian Nay era.

LCC mixed things up last night using a short passing attack that was primarily effective in moving the ball, although LCC coughed up the ball on the NJSP 3-yard line on the opening drive after pretty much moving at will.  Similarly, the defense was able to stifle NJSP who spent the vast majority of the night trying, unsuccessfully, to run between the tackles against LCC's defense.  The 17 points scored is a bit deceiving as one of the TDs came again in the last minute of play and the field goal came after NJSP started with the ball at the LCC 23, pushed it to first and goal, and then was forced to kick it.  Hopefully, teh stats will get updated to MaxPreps to do a bit more detail analysis.

Smith, the freshman, did a nice job coming in and filling in for Schrader, who got a well-needed rest to make sure he's ready to go for semi-state.  Despite Schrader returning for semi-state, LCC will be without Roach who was ejected after reacting to being hit in the helmet on a targeting by NJSP on a late-whistle play.  That occurred just before the half.  The call is not able to be appealed.  You can see it here: https://www.wlfi.com/content/news/Central-Catholic-captures-first-regional-title-since-2015-565029422.html.    The upset of South Adams by Adams Central puts LCC in the enviable position of playing its fourth game of the tourney at home including a regional followed by a semi-state.  Pioneer defeated LCC last season at LaRocca.  The last time before that that LCC has lost at home was all the way back in 2008 when eventual state-runner up, Sheridan, beat LCC in a second-round sectional game 34-28.  LCC would follow that loss with three undefeated seasons in a row en route to their 1A four-peat.

Why is that? 

1 hour ago, CatholicFootball10 said:

Why is that? 

IHSAA by-laws 9-5 and 16-2 basically state that a judgment call made by an official during a contest cannot be appealed or protested.

9-5 Official’s Decisions are Final - In all Contests the decisions of the officials shall be considered final and binding.

16-2 Contest Official’s Decisions are Final - Contest decisions by game officials are considered final and binding.

In the Q&A area of Rule 8, there's a specific question that reads, "May a member School file a protest regarding the ejection of a player for unsportsmanlike conduct?"  The corresponding answer is "No, neither a judgment call nor misapplication of a game rule by an official may be protested or appealed. (rules 9-5, 16-2)."

https://ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/about ihsaa/2019-20 By Laws.pdf

15 minutes ago, LCCAlum said:

He deserved an unsportsmanlike penalty but ejection for reacting to a targeting (which was the 2nd targeting shot he took in the game to that point) seems like an overreaction. 

He took a swing, which is ejection-worthy in itself, whether it connects or not.

54 minutes ago, LCCAlum said:

He deserved an unsportsmanlike penalty but ejection for reacting to a targeting (which was the 2nd targeting shot he took in the game to that point) seems like an overreaction. 

There was also a targeting call later in the game against NJSP for a hit in the back of the head on Smith who was already on his way down.  I've seen three helmet calls this season at the LCC games and two were in this game against NJSP on a player who was in the grasp or off of his feet.

11 minutes ago, BendNotBreak said:

The letter of the law was enforced... not the spirit ...... An undisciplined team got ther cheap shots in.... with little to lose..... is what it is......

You can question whether he should of been ejected all you want, but don't make NJ out as an undisciplined, dirty team trying to score knock out blows.  The Jays have been anything but dirty this year.  They play hard and to the whistle.  They win and lose with class.  

LCC was clearly the more talented team.  However, if you're trying to portray the Bluejays as a dirty team than you are being foolish.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kamikaze said:

You can question whether he should of been ejected all you want, but don't make NJ out as an undisciplined, dirty team trying to score knock out blows.  The Jays have been anything but dirty this year.  They play hard and to the whistle.  They win and lose with class.  

LCC was clearly the more talented team.  However, if you're trying to portray the Bluejays as a dirty team than you are being foolish.   

I can agree to that. 

I saw them play 3 times, didn't notice anything too bad. 

18 minutes ago, LCCAlum said:

NFHS should go to the targeting rules lower colleges do. Toss the offender. 

What’s more detrimental to the game an opened hand slap or a helmet to helmet hit?

I know I'm just taking the bait, but I totally disagree.  Helmet to helmet hits happen during the flow of the play.  Some are intentional, but I would say most are not.  The NJ hits were not intentional by my judgement.   Throwing a punch, or open handed slap, have nothing to do with the flow of a play.  There is no place for them.  I don't believe that the kid deserves to sit out next week, but I disagree with your assessment about what is more detrimental to the game.

• Like 1

If anyone is actually interested in what the rules have to say on this subject:

“Fighting is any attempt by a player or nonplayer to strike or engage a player or nonplayer in a combative manner unrelated to football. Such acts include, but are not ­limited to, attempts to strike an opponent(s) with the arm(s), hand(s), leg(s) or foot (feet), whether or not there is contact.

“PENALTY: Arts. 1, 2, 3j – Fighting, intentionally contacting a game official, striking, kicking or kneeing – (S38-47) – 15 yards and disqualification.” (emphasis supplied)

Edited by Bobref

2 hours ago, Kamikaze said:

I know I'm just taking the bait, but I totally disagree.  Helmet to helmet hits happen during the flow of the play.  Some are intentional, but I would say most are not.  The NJ hits were not intentional by my judgement.   Throwing a punch, or open handed slap, have nothing to do with the flow of a play.  There is no place for them.  I don't believe that the kid deserves to sit out next week, but I disagree with your assessment about what is more detrimental to the game.

Did I make an assessment? 

12 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

If they didn't overturn the David Bell ejection last year (oof that was bad) they certainly are not going to in this case.  

Lewis Cass had a player ejected as well.   Not sure if he was SR or not, but I think if he was an underclassman, he will have to sit week 1 in 2020.  

??? 

Roach is a senior, but if he wasn't, why would he also have to sit a second, the one you've stated for Week 1 of 2020, if he's already sitting out semi-state?

I wasn't sure if you were talking about the Cass player, in which case I understand that an underclassman would sit out the Week 1 2020 game since the Cass season is over, or LCC's Roach.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure why these were in my office instead of at home in my study.  Perhaps a bit of serendipity.  Thought I'd share a blast from the past.  Your 2019 1A Class A State Champions when they were just starting out.

image.thumb.png.6296060c95c6a5adb53b7fb7849efd8d.png