Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The Coronavirus - a virus from eating bats, an accident or something sinister gone wrong?

swordfish

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

Folks have no stake in the ground to work from, no steady tiller, etc. and, when that happens it flows with the currents regardless of whether it's a steady stream or a rip-tide. 

I don't believe that stake in the ground, steady tiller, etc. should be the federal government.

• Disdain 1

The convenience store/gas station in Mulberry still has the couple of tables near the front door where old farmers gather most every morning to drink coffee, swap stories, and tell lies.  Shouldn't this be shut down in the interest of public health?

• Disdain 1

11 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

The convenience store/gas station in Mulberry still has the couple of tables near the front door where old farmers gather most every morning to drink coffee, swap stories, and tell lies.  Shouldn't this be shut down in the interest of public health?

Yes, it should. And, assuming “old farmers” means they are in the high risk group, it’s especially important for these guys to take precautions to heart.

1 minute ago, Bobref said:

Yes, it should. And, assuming “old farmers” means they are in the high risk group, it’s especially important for these guys to take precautions to heart.

Here you go:  https://www.google.com/maps/place/Marathon+Gas/@40.3445373,-86.6648134,16.75z/data=!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x88131153af5e7455:0xf470bad87bbba8fb!2sMulberry,+IN+46058!3b1!8m2!3d40.3444804!4d-86.6652821!3m4!1s0x88131154f54a5291:0xeb0c5e6544a4d795!8m2!3d40.3448494!4d-86.6648273

Clinton County Board of Health:  (765) 659-6385

• Disdain 1

Fiat Chrysler, Ford, and General Motors to close all plants until at least March 30th:  https://apnews.com/4581ea83f606e5bb1833378c77cd63c4

Two people briefed on the matter said Wednesday that Ford, General Motors and Fiat Chrysler agreed to close all their factories. The two spoke on condition of anonymity because the closings had not been announced. The move would idle about 150,000 workers, who are likely to receive supplemental pay in addition to unemployment benefits.

https://www.kokomotribune.com/news/local_news/ap-fiat-chrysler-general-motors-and-ford-to-close-all/article_7060214a-688d-11ea-aab2-03e16a8f0313.html

The Associated Press is reporting Detroit’s three automakers, which includes Fiat Chrysler, Ford Motor Co. and General Motors, have agreed to close all of their factories due to worker fears about the coronavirus.

Automakers are expected to release details of the closure later today.

The decision reverses a deal worked out late Tuesday with the UAW in which the automakers would cancel some shifts so they could thoroughly cleanse equipment and buildings. But workers, especially at some FCA factories, were still fearful and were pressuring the union to seek full closures.

• Disdain 1

With the Dow down a couple grand again today, it's now at a point lower than when Trump took office.  Given that Trump tied almost all of his presidency on the economy, it could be problematic.  While there was a previous cartoon showing the Democratic Party relying on the Corona virus as an election strategy, similarly, Trump will likely need to also depend on it, from a 180 perspective and also hope for major economic snapback in seven months.  Being an external factor, as opposed to a foundational item like the Great Recession financial problems, it's possible ... the question will be,  "Is it probable?"  Of interest is that Trump will likely end up having to campaign on the same things that Republicans campaigned again Obama on in 2012 ... a bailout and a stimulus package payout.  

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Are you attempting to incite hysteria here on the GID by posting this? Turns out you’re not any more responsible than the MSM.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Are you attempting to incite hysteria here on the GID by posting this? Turns out you’re not any more responsible than the MSM.

What part of what I posted is not factual, Gonzo?  What is hysterical about the headline?

3 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Are any of these stories false?

Maybe, maybe not.  But they serve primarily to stoke fear among the general populace.  "We're facing our own Death."  Really?

Edited by Muda69
  • Disdain 1

7 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

True....but media and social media can blow things up so much to the public, that it can lead to politicians making decisions....

I read an editorial just this morning in which a member of the media went after Trump because he didn't act fast enough with the gov't actions and it will cost him the election.  Of course, he said nothing about Biden's role as VP during the H1N1 crisis in 2009 and the lack of action taken by the gov't.  

People are indeed influenced by media and social media, and much of that is incorrect information....and it absolutely impacts the decisions of politicians.

Apparently you believe politicians react very quickly to concerns of their constituents. I don’t recall that ever being the case. How many Bills are waiting to be voted into law right now? 

5 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

What part of what I posted is not factual, Gonzo?  What is hysterical about the headline?

Maybe, maybe not.  But they serve primarily to stoke fear among the general populace.  "We're facing our own Death."  Really?

Lol. Now you’re arguing with yourself. Funny stuff.

• Haha 1
  • Sit and spin 1

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Had to laugh - the daughter of the owner of our company (our HR lady) came in the office this morning spitting nails, because this morning her Dad (in his late 70's but doesn't consider himself old) was having breakfast (just like every morning prior) at the coffee shop in downtown Shipshewana (Yes, there is a "downtown" at least that is what they call it) with his buddies.  "I told him he'd better get home,  or to the office, this place is supposed to be closed, I'm calling the Health Department and shutting this place down."  She is the polar opposite of him and the rest of the office and is mother-henning us to death with sanitizer, clorox wipes, lysol, etc. in every office.  God love her, but she is driving us nuts (short trip, yeah I know).

IDK - would the health department shut something down?

3 minutes ago, Howe said:

An interesting question from someone who backs a president who takes the word of Putin over his own intelligence agencies.  By the way, don't forget that Trump told us all he believed Xi.  https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/22/trump-on-coronavirus-from-china-we-have-it-totally-under-control.html

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

No bills have been required to take action with this current situation.  Did it take a bill for an area of 7 million people to shelter in place for 21 days?  For investments in improved testing, etc.  

I'm done with debating this...If you want to believe that the any reaction (over, perfect, not enough) is solely gov't driven...good for you.  But I absolutely believe MSM, and social media plays a major impact in driving politician's behavior.  If social media wasn't important, well, politicians wouldn't be on Twitter.....

Is your Twitter account the method you use to contact your Government representatives?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

No....but I read others sharing their thoughts on Twitter with politicians.  I also read politicians sharing their thoughts with subscribers.

Just because I don't contact government officials via social media, doesn't mean others don't.

Is this an attempt at humor or just you being you?  

No attempt at humor. Did it make you laugh? It was a serious question. Thanks for the response.

I'll have to check and see if my Representatives follow me. I'm not sure I can speak my mind in 280 characters though.

I may have to stick to Facebook.

19 hours ago, Bobref said:

Well Bob, you got your wish.  As I drove by the Mulberry convenience store/gas station earlier this morning the table was empty and the surrounding chairs were turned up on top of it.  

Somebody must have snitched to the county board of health.  Was it you Bob?

And this little incident brings forth some interesting questions:

1.  I'm hoping these old men/farmers, obviously long time friends, are currently meeting in another place, perhaps at one of the men's kitchen table, to drink coffee, swap stories, and tell lies.   Should this kind of home assembly be banned during this current "crisis"?

2. Let's say John & Martha are getting stir crazy practicing "social distancing" during this "crisis" and decide to have a Saturday night dinner party.  So they invite a bunch of their friends to their home, and a number of them accept.   So later that evening the party is going well and a local LEO drives by John & Martha's home.  He notices that there are an unusual amount of vehicles parked outside the home for that time of day so he decides to investigate.  After he discovers the existence of the dinner party should he immediately demand all parties disperse?  Should he contact the local Board of Health and report an infraction?   Should John & Martha face at the very least some kind of misdemeanor charge of planning and hosting an unlawful assembly?

Edited by Muda69
  • Disdain 1

Slashing Regulations to Combat Coronavirus: https://www.cato.org/blog/slashing-regulations-combat-coronavirus

The coronavirus is battering the U.S economy as businesses cut back and close down. Unfortunately, federal policymakers are pursuing their usual misguided response to all crises—passing a big stimulus bill that will accomplish little except putting the government further into debt. After the financial crisis a decade ago, Congress passed an $800 billion stimulus and we suffered the slowest recovery since World War II.

Government spending to boost demand won’t help the economy when supply chain disruptions and safety fears are restricting production. Rather than stimulate demand, governments should repeal regulations that aren’t in place for legitimate safety reasons.

These articles point to regulations that are being repealed, or should be repealed, to aid the crisis response. Many of the regulations are unneeded even if there were no crisis. CEI, ATR, CNN, and Walter Olson have compiled similar lists.

During Hurricane Katrina in 2005, bureaucracy and regulatory bottlenecks amplified the damage. Let’s hope that governments have learned the lesson and move quickly to repeal rules that stand in way of rapid and efficient private‐sector responses.

Yes, one can hope.

• Disdain 1

14 hours ago, foxbat said:

An interesting question from someone who backs a president who takes the word of Putin over his own intelligence agencies.  By the way, don't forget that Trump told us all he believed Xi.  https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/22/trump-on-coronavirus-from-china-we-have-it-totally-under-control.html

And so did the WHO.....But your linked story fails to mention that......(Orange man bad, its all Trump's fault)

https://dailycaller.com/2020/03/18/flashback-who-china-coronavirus-contagious/?fbclid=IwAR1rTVrLJpbxlLCxuZ_qPyhKbu9axGR_ESREufvn4wy3kzcoOlQ_wmTjx00

The World Health Organization (WHO) tried to cam fears of a pandemic on Jan. 14 by repeating China’s claim that coronavirus was not contagious among humans.

“Preliminary investigations conducted by the Chinese authorities have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel #coronavirus (2019-nCoV) identified in #Wuhan, #China,” the WHO tweeted.

Edited by swordfish