Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The Coronavirus - a virus from eating bats, an accident or something sinister gone wrong?

swordfish

China Wants to Use the Coronavirus to Take Over the World: https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/04/coronavirus-pandemic-china-seeks-increase-geopolitical-power/

What started as a catastrophe for China is shaping up to be a moment of strategic opportunity, a rare turning point in the flow of history. Suddenly, the protests in Hong Kong, carrying a mortal threat to political stability in the mainland, became a physical impossibility. More important, the pandemic set in motion a global competition, to contain the virus, for which China and the Chinese Communist Party seem uniquely prepared.

As the virus spread to the whole world, it became apparent that Western societies — Beijing’s true rivals — did not have the ability to quickly organize every citizen around a single goal. As opposed to China, which remains to a large extent a revolutionary society, their political systems were built for normal times. Chinese society is a mobilized army, which can quickly drop everything else and march in one direction.

Mao once said, “Everything under heaven is in utter chaos, the situation is excellent.” And so it seems at present, as seen from Beijing. Chinese diplomats stationed all over the world spend their time raising the stakes to a dangerous level. Following instructions from the very top, they have taken to the media to issue a challenge to America, to point out its failure, and to compare the chaos in American cities and hospitals with what they see as a singular success in stopping the epidemic in China.

Forget about “mask diplomacy.” It is no more than a distraction. There are other ways for China to use the coronavirus pandemic to upturn the existing global order. I see three main levers.

The first one is the direct comparison between the situation in China and elsewhere. The numbers of cases and fatalities provided by Chinese authorities almost certainly misrepresent the real figures by more than an order of magnitude, but the fact remains that a semblance of normalcy was achieved in a small period of time. If the United States fails to do the same, its prestige will suffer a severe blow. People all over the world will quickly change their perceptions about relative power and capacity.

The second lever resides with industrial value chains. Last month General Motors, Ford, and Fiat Chrysler closed all their automotive production plants across the United States and Canada. Other sectors have followed. In the meantime, China contained the worst of the pandemic to one province, allowing economic activity to quickly resume elsewhere. The most recent data show renewed activity in the flow of goods across the country, as well as at ports worldwide that do business with China. If the freeze in Europe and America continues for much longer, Chinese companies will be able to dramatically expand market share and replace Western-led value chains. Just yesterday Chinese authorities announced that manufacturing activity expanded in March, defying expectations of a contraction. In February the official Purchasing Managers’ Index hit a record low of 35.7. It bounced back to 52.0 in March. Prepare for a worldwide wave of Chinese acquisitions at knockdown prices.

Finally, in a more extreme scenario, important countries could experience the kind of economic shock that leads to widespread social and political collapse. At that point, China would have a unique opportunity to step in, provide aid, and refashion these countries in its image. It would look like a repeat of the Marshall Plan and the beginning of the American world order after the ravages of World War II. Indonesia, South Asia, and even Russia might be of special interest in such a scenario.

We knew that a generalized race or competition between alternative geopolitical models had started, but it was never clear what the background for such a competition would be. If the clash took place within the existing global trade and financial system, which was of course built according to Western rules and principles, the United States was confident the battle could be decisively won. But what if it took place on neutral ground? What if it took place in a kind of neutral landscape, a state of nature with few or no rules, against a chaotic and quickly evolving background? The outcome would become considerably more uncertain.

To put it more bluntly: There was always an argument that the existing world order cannot change because only a momentous war has done that in the past and world wars have become impossible. But in pandemics — and soon in climate change — we may have found two functional equivalents of war.

The government imposed shutdown the has destroy the American economy has to end,  or we will also lose the economic and ultimately the cultural war with China.  If we don't then China becomes the dominant economic force in the world, and the U.S. slowly slides into oblivion.  

Do you for one welcome your Chinese overlords?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Disdain 1

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

China Wants to Use the Coronavirus to Take Over the World: https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/04/coronavirus-pandemic-china-seeks-increase-geopolitical-power/

The government imposed shutdown the has destroy the American economy has to end,  or we will also lose the economic and ultimately the cultural war with China.  If we don't then China becomes the dominant economic force in the world, and the U.S. slowly slides into oblivion.  

Do you for one welcome your Chinese overlords?

I've been accused of needing a tin foil hat for thinking this very thing.  How else would China be able to bring the Western world economies to their knees?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, gonzoron said:

He wasn't fired for raising the alarm, he was fired because he sent his email to his superiors (on the ship - he was NOT the top officer) incorrectly over unsecured means, and it was leaked out as a result......It is noteworthy that this is something even Hillary Clinton didn't get fired for.......

4 minutes ago, swordfish said:

I've been accused of needing a tin foil hat for thinking this very thing.  How else would China be able to bring the Western world economies to their knees?

A friend of mine brought up this question as well......remember late last year we were seeing the stories about so many people dying because their lungs were being destroyed by vaping? In general, vaping had not been considered that unsafe. It was the THC in the vape that was causing these problems. I am not sure what the thing is called that contains the material that is inhaled, but those were made in China. We had this discussion in our teachers lounge before the shutdown that there did seem to be a lot of absences and extended illnesses among staff and students late last semester. Not trusting the Chinese government at all, I have little doubt the virus was here before they reported their first cases. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, swordfish said:

By buying up the rest of the major American industries, who are all facing bankruptcy and diving stock prices due to the forced government shutdown.   

What part of the statement:

Prepare for a worldwide wave of Chinese acquisitions at knockdown prices.

do you not understand?

That included with the latest 2+ billion "stimulus"  bill (with possibly more to come according to some sources) and you have a U.S. government treasury with little to no wriggle room financially.  No, other countries are going to start to lose faith in the U.S. dollar, and China will be happy to swoop in.

• Thanks 1
  • Disdain 1

1 minute ago, Irishman said:

We had this discussion in our teachers lounge before the shutdown that there did seem to be a lot of absences and extended illnesses among staff and students late last semester. 

Like in California the Coronavirus has probably already swept across much of Indiana.  We are probably seeing the second wave of infections.  But this time we have the MSM caused hysteria and the authoritarian government caused fear to contend with as well.

• Like 1
  • Disdain 1

On 3/25/2020 at 8:27 AM, swordfish said:

In the infection and allergy medical field - he IS the almighty.  Dr. Fauci is the nation's leading doctor on this topic and his long time experience and position at NIAID and the White House Task Force will prohibit him ENDORSING something that has no solidly achieved data to support it. 

Interesting why the "almighty" of infection and allergy medicine would make the following statements on January 26th: 

"The American people should not be worried or frightened by this. It's a very, very low risk to the United States," Dr. Fauci said on The CATS Roundtable. "It isn't something that the American public needs to worry about or be frightened about."

Director Redfield agreed with Dr. Fauci's assessment, saying that at that time in January the information coming out of China suggested "they were pretty certain that this was not transmitted human to human."

"I think no one could have predicted how transmissible, how infectious this virus really is," he added.

https://radio.foxnews.com/2020/03/27/cdc-director-reacts-to-resurfaced-tape-of-dr-anthony-fauci-downplaying-virus-threat/

Especially since American media had been reporting human to human transmission of the coronavirus since January 20th.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/human-human-transmission-coronavirus-reported-china/story?id=68403105

• Disdain 1

31 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Fox News was very accurate in their reporting on the Russia hoax, Mueller Dossier and the Impeachment hoax. The liberal mainstream media was dead wrong and proved to be Fake News.

• Disdain 1

After 17 years there is no vaccine or cure for SARS-CoV. After 8 years there is no vaccine or cure for MERS-CoV. I wonder when the vaccine and cure for COVID-19 will be available? 

• Disdain 1

CBS New York Coronavirus Update:  NYC COVID-19 Survivor Says Drug Hydroxychoroquine Helped Save His Life.

He tested positive for coronavirus, but says the malaria drug hydroxychloroquine helped save his life.

“When your lungs are filled with fluid, you can’t breathe. It’s like you’re drowning, you’re suffocating,” Cannizzaro said.

“It was just a horrible situation. I’m on a floor and everybody had the virus and people were passing away and I thought I was going to pass away,” Cannizzaro said.

On a Thursday, his doctor told him they were administering hydroxychloroquine.

“Friday, I got better. Saturday, I got better. Sunday, I almost felt like my old self. So that drug is really what saved my life, to be honest with you,” Cannizzaro said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/coronavirus-update-nyc-covid-19-survivor-says-drug-hydroxychloroquine-helped-save-his-life/ar-BB12eRwL

• Disdain 1

Detroit Rep says hydroxychloroquine, Trump helped save her life amid COVID-19 fight.

LANSING — A Democratic state representative from Detroit is crediting hydroxychloroquine — and Republican President Donald Trump who touted the drug — for saving her in her battle with the coronavirus.

State Rep. Karen Whitsett, who learned Monday she has tested positive for COVID-19, said she started taking hydroxychloroquine on March 31, prescribed by her doctor, after both she and her husband sought treatment for a range of symptoms on March 18.

Whitsett said she was familiar with "the wonders" of hydroxychloroquine from an earlier bout with Lyme disease, but does not believe she would have thought to ask for it, or her doctor would have prescribed it, had Trump not been touting it as a possible treatment for COVID-19.

But Whitsett said Trump's comments helped in her case.

"It has a lot to do with the president ... bringing it up," Whitsett said. "He is the only person who has the power to make it a priority."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/04/06/democrat-karen-whitsett-coronavirus-hydroxychloroquine-trump/2957897001/

• Disdain 1