Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The Coronavirus - a virus from eating bats, an accident or something sinister gone wrong?

swordfish

Fake News reporter: Are you doing this voluntarily?                                                                    Dr. Fauci: Don’t even imply that.

• Disdain 1

7 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

for the donkeys, science is not absolute when it comes to selecting a bathroom....how would you expect it here?  Unless padding statistics can be used in favor of telling a story that one wants to tell..........

Note to self: never buy Eli Lily pharmaceuticals.

• Thanks 1

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2020/04/14/with-empty-beds-at-the-javits-center-and-on-the-comfort-uniformed-health-workers-are-going-straight-into-nyc-hospitals/

Turns out the ship docked in New York (whose premature pulling out of retrofit was covered by everyone under the sun), and the Javits Center (whose opening the media covered intensely to illustrate the gravity of the virus) wasn't needed.  Positive thing the medical staffs are close enough and flexible enough to help in various locations as needed......

I am assuming the same media will do a story on this as well......right?

A friend of mine used the analogy "we are now using nuclear weaponry to kill mice"....

Edited by swordfish

10 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

Perhaps if you took some time, you could go to the original source listed, and look up the data listed and confirm it for yourself.

But I know its easier for you to be lazy and simply just post.

I'll make it easy for you....see if you can find it........warning, you may have to look at some different sets of data.

https://www.worldometers.info/

Yeah, went there and all you see is ads for Facebook. Got any verification on these “statistics” from a reliable data source? 
No wonder you didn’t want to share your source for treatment effectiveness of Trump’s miracle cure.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, swordfish said:

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2020/04/14/with-empty-beds-at-the-javits-center-and-on-the-comfort-uniformed-health-workers-are-going-straight-into-nyc-hospitals/

Turns out the ship docked in New York (whose premature pulling out of retrofit was covered by everyone under the sun), and the Javits Center (whose opening the media covered intensely to illustrate the gravity of the virus) wasn't needed.  Positive thing the medical staffs are close enough and flexible enough to help in various locations as needed......

I am assuming the same media will do a story on this as well......right?

A friend of mine used the analogy "we are now using nuclear weaponry to kill mice"....

Does anyone else remember in March NY Governor Cuomo demanding DEMANDING 40,000 ventilators?  Well - They got 5,000 from FEMA.  This week, the same Governor Cuomo is donating some of his state's surplus ventilators (of the 5,000) to other states......I wonder if some of that surplus came from his National Guard troops who he was supposedly sending throughout the state to get more ventilators.....That (as it turns out) he actually didn't need.

Yeah I didn't see that story reported either.....Just the exhalation of the caring Governor of New York for having done such a great job now donating HIS ventilators.....BTW - California is "donating" ventilators as well.

Yes - I do think this was a huge HUGE over-reaction that just like everything else the government starts (the shutdown) it has a hard time ending......

1 hour ago, swordfish said:

Yes - I do think this was a huge HUGE over-reaction that just like everything else the government starts (the shutdown) it has a hard time ending......

I'm not happy about the restrictions either, but there HAVE been several publicized cases of people who ignored and scoffed at the restrictions who are now dead from Coronavirus. I'd rather stay alive quite honestly, so I'm taking it seriously.

5 hours ago, gonzoron said:

Got any verification on these “statistics” from a reliable data source? 
No wonder you didn’t want to share your source for treatment effectiveness of Trump’s miracle cure.

• Disdain 1

17 hours ago, gonzoron said:

I'm not happy about the restrictions either, but there HAVE been several publicized cases of people who ignored and scoffed at the restrictions who are now dead from Coronavirus. I'd rather stay alive quite honestly, so I'm taking it seriously.

Every day we are subjected to a cornucopia of things that "could" kill you.  Every person who is concerned about getting sick, being in an accident, or whatever malaise that they may encounter - STAY HOME.  Nobody is guaranteed their next heartbeat - But, we had to shut down the entire US/world economy over the equivalent of a really bad flu year......

• Like 1
  • Disdain 1

14 minutes ago, swordfish said:

But, we had to shut down the entire US/world economy

Not really the entire economy has been shut down. Some businesses are thriving, especially the paper industry, and that's likely to continue on a bigger scale when the restrictions end.  And I'm still traveling for work every day. Except for my previously scheduled vacation days. 

On 4/14/2020 at 10:57 AM, swordfish said:

Well there you go......The same guy......RIP......

FTA:  The 69-year-old was also suffering from other underlying health conditions.

Dr. Brian R. Peterson, M.D. signed the death certificate affirming that Professor Wells' cause of death was "Complications of novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) infection.   But the main fact is that the meme is misleading. This man was BOTH a former lieutenant for the Milwaukee Police Department and a Professor of Criminal Justice at the University of Memphis. So, the man didn't die twice from COVID-19, as the meme states. The man died once and his obituary in Wisconsin focused on his role with the Milwaukee Police Department, while his obituary in Mississippi (he lived in Mississippi and commuted to Memphis for his work there) focused on his role as a criminal justice professor.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gonzoron said:

Not really the entire economy has been shut down. Some businesses are thriving, especially the paper industry, and that's likely to continue on a bigger scale when the restrictions end.  And I'm still traveling for work every day. Except for my previously scheduled vacation days. 

I am having a problem with the laying off of 70 - 80% of hospital staff in the areas with next to zero Coronavirus cases to make room for all the Coronavirus cases we can expect.  And you don't hear about that in the statistics everyday.  

12 minutes ago, BARRYOSAMA said:

Dr. Brian R. Peterson, M.D. signed the death certificate affirming that Professor Wells' cause of death was "Complications of novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) infection.   But the main fact is that the meme is misleading. This man was BOTH a former lieutenant for the Milwaukee Police Department and a Professor of Criminal Justice at the University of Memphis. So, the man didn't die twice from COVID-19, as the meme states. The man died once and his obituary in Wisconsin focused on his role with the Milwaukee Police Department, while his obituary in Mississippi (he lived in Mississippi and commuted to Memphis for his work there) focused on his role as a criminal justice professor.

Yeah, we know - look at the previous page.  

• Disdain 1

11 minutes ago, swordfish said:

I am having a problem with the laying off of 70 - 80% of hospital staff in the areas with next to zero Coronavirus cases to make room for all the Coronavirus cases we can expect.  And you don't hear about that in the statistics everyday.  

Yeah, we know - look at the previous page.  

I’m not sure I follow you. Did the government force these hospitals to lay people off? Sounds like a decision by their employers to me.

Hospital patients still need medical care, facilities need to be cleaned/maintained and patients need to eat.

As you said previously, people still are involved in accidents, are sick and can get sick by any number of things besides Coronavirus, so why the need to lay off medical workers?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

I’m not sure I follow you. Did the government force these hospitals to lay people off? Sounds like a decision by their employers to me.

Hospital patients still need medical care, facilities need to be cleaned/maintained and patients need to eat.

As you said previously, people still are involved in accidents, are sick and can get sick by any number of things besides Coronavirus, so why the need to lay off medical workers?

No "elective" appointments or procedures (profitable occurrences)......BTW - this is happening all around the country not just in the Midwest. 

Simple supply and demand.  And the unavoidable truth that Profit = Revenue - Expenses.

Next to follow is the local government budget shortfalls due to lower tax revenues......

https://www.huntingdondailynews.com/news/local/hospital-sees-layoffs/article_7fd73017-372b-56d7-9e82-7cc4ec92b3b4.html

Norman noted the pandemic has forced unprecedented changes to healthcare organizations across the U.S., and Penn Highlands Healthcare is not immune to the economic fallout.

“In the past two to three weeks alone, we’ve seen a dramatic decline,” said Norman. “In analyzing finances and volumes, we’ve seen a 59% drop in clinic visits, 83% decline in surgeries, 57% in radiology visits, 55% in lab testing and there’s been a net revenue drop of 40% in Penn Highlands Healthcare.”

Norman noted that while hot spots across the U.S. are seeing a surge of patients who are suspected or have been confirmed to have COVID-19, that hasn’t been the case in the health system.

“We’ve seen a decline in elective services, preventative care and outpatient testing,” he said. “People are canceling doctors appointments out of fear or because of shelter-in-place orders.”

https://www.wxyz.com/news/coronavirus/wayne-mayor-demands-answers-in-wake-of-covid-19-hospital-shutdown-layoffs

WAYNE, Mich. (WXYZ) — "It’s a travesty.” Wayne Mayor calls for criminal investigation into closure of Beaumont Wayne.

The Mayor of Wayne is calling for a criminal investigation into why Beaumont Health paused operations at its hospital in the City of Wayne during a pandemic.

“This is a travesty, and I cannot believe this is happening in America right now,” said Mayor John Rhaesa.

Rhaesa says he’s always been a proud supporter of Beaumont Wayne, he’s even a member of their community advisory board. But now Rhaesa wants to know why Beaumont Health has paused operations at the Wayne hospital, and why they transferred patients on ventilators to other facilities.

“It makes no sense to take a hospital away. In my opinion that’s criminal and should be investigated in the future, because this is not right,” Rhaesa told 7 Investigator Heather Catallo.

Rhaesa says he’s now contacting the Attorney General and the Governor.

Beaumont has said they will use the now-empty Wayne location as a covid19-only hospital again if there’s another surge. A spokesman says the remaining patients were transferred safely earlier this week and they are re-deploying some staff to other locations. But other healthcare workers from Beaumont Wayne say they received lay off notices.

“How do you do this to your heroes? They’re putting their life on the line for us. Yet, they’re just thrown out like garbage. This is wrong! This absolutely just blows my mind that this could happen in a pandemic when we’re in such a crisis,” said Rhaesa.

Relatives who’s loved ones were being treated at Wayne tell 7 Action News that in those final hours of life, family members were getting calls from the hospital saying they were going to send them to other facilities. Those relatives say the patient’s doctors did not agree with the decision to move the patients.

“I am so sorry that happened to you. No one deserves that, no one deserves to have to go through what you’ve gone through. And you are owed an apology from Beaumont, and on behalf of myself and my citizens, we’re ashamed that this has happened to you. This should not happen in my city,” said Rhaesa.

The 7 Investigators have learned a total of 39 Beaumont patients from across their system have now been transferred to the Veterans Affairs hospitals in Detroit and Ann Arbor, even though they are not military patients. Four of them came from the Wayne campus.

VA officials proudly told 7 Action News this is a historic move, and they’re happy to help, but they believed all of the patients were coming from hospitals at capacity – not a hospital about to close it’s doors.
A Beaumont spokesman says “Beaumont is committed to reopening Beaumont Wayne and making sure the services there both meet the community’s needs and fit within our system’s overall strategic plan.”

Mayor Rhaesa says that’s not good enough during a pandemic.

“My community rallied around the hospital. My businesses have rallied around the hospital. I mean, they’ve been sending stuff – anything and everything they can do to help and support them. How can you do this? How? It’s just wrong,” said Rhaesa.

Mayor Rhaesa says his EMS crews are already short staffed. Now without this hospital for covid19 patients or any other kind of medical care, he says there will be a much longer response time.

Beaumont Hospital Director of Communications Mark Geary issued this statement about Beaumont Wayne:

Beaumont Hospital, Wayne is important to Beaumont Health and is not permanently closing. Rumors to that effect are false. Yesterday, the few remaining patients at Wayne were safely discharged home or transferred to other hospitals. The hospital is now temporarily paused and not serving any patients. Most staff is being redeployed to other Beaumont sites where they can provide care for more patients. Others will be temporarily laid off and could potentially participate in enhanced state/federal unemployment programs.

As the surge was expected to occur just a couple of weeks ago, Beaumont received approval from the state to designate Wayne as a COVID-19 only hospital. Fortunately, the surge was more moderated, likely due to aggressive social distancing, the stay at home order and other factors mitigating the spread of the disease.

However, we are still operating under several executive orders that severely restrict the extent and type of care we can provide to our community. Until these executive orders are lifted and the disaster declaration has ended, we are not changing the COVID-19 only status of the Wayne hospital. This is in preparation for a second surge that could occur after the stay at home restrictions end. The pandemic remains very unpredictable. Beaumont Health is committed to responding to potential ongoing COVID-19 surges by relying upon our Wayne hospital and other resources.

As the last two weeks have shown, predictive models are estimates and lack the specificity to make accurate decisions, even a month in advance. Non-COVID-19 patient volume has reduced across the system, but the COVID-19 patient volume remains high. Beaumont is committed to reopening Beaumont, Wayne and making sure the services provided there both meet the community’s needs and fit within our system’s overall strategic plan. However, we will only do that when it is safe to do so and when we have more clarity about the pandemic.

Ruthanne Sudderth, Senior Vice President, Public Affairs & Communications for the Michigan Health & Hospital Association sent us this statement about the VA:

The U.S. Department of Veterans recently announced a “Fourth Mission,” which is to provide medical care for civilians affected by the COVID-19 pandemic in high-outbreak zones around the country. This includes southeast Michigan. As a result, the VA facilities in Detroit and Ann Arbor reached out to hospitals in southeast Michigan offering to care for some COVID-19 patients if hospitals lacked capacity to care for them in their own facilities. This lack of capacity includes not having enough staff, or shortages of beds or supplies. To date, multiple health systems in this region have been able to partner with the VA and have had patients transferred to their facilities in Detroit and Ann Arbor. We commend and thank our VA partners in Michigan and their staff on the front lines for

https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/business/healthcare/5203517-Nurses-bargaining-with-Essentia-over-potential-layoffs

In late March, Essentia laid off about 500 employees that it described as non-medical staff. This week, those layoffs were extended by another 30 days. The health system said more layoffs had taken place this week, but refused to say how many.

The actions come as hospitals throughout the state face an economic shortfall caused by canceling elective procedures and reducing clinic visits in anticipation of a surge of COVID-19 cases. Minnesota hospitals and health systems expect to lose $3 billion over the next 90 days, the Minnesota Hospital Association has said.

"We're in talks with lots of other hospitals around the state about this very same issue," Fuentes said, adding about northern Minnesota: "There are a lot of empty beds up there."

• Disdain 1

On 4/12/2020 at 2:55 PM, Howe said:

His contribution to this forum is the serial abuse of the "disdain"  feature to the point where one or more moderator(s) awarded Muda with 20,000 positive points. 

BARRYOSAMA 

1. thumbs-down-512.png  BARRYOSAMA reacted to a post in a topic: The Democrat's roster for a Trump - beater in 2020 3 hours ago
  2.  thumbs-down-512.png  BARRYOSAMA reacted to a post in a topic: The Democrat's roster for a Trump - beater in 2020 3 hours ago
  3.  thumbs-down-512.png  BARRYOSAMA reacted to a post in a topic: The Democrat's roster for a Trump - beater in 2020 3 hours ago
  4.  thumbs-down-512.png  BARRYOSAMA reacted to a post in a topic: The Democrat's roster for a Trump - beater in 2020 3 hours ago
  5.  thumbs-down-512.png  BARRYOSAMA reacted to a post in a topic: The Democrat's roster for a Trump - beater in 2020 3 hours ago
  6.  thumbs-down-512.png  BARRYOSAMA reacted to a post in a topic: The Democrat's roster for a Trump - beater in 2020 3 hours ago
  7.  thumbs-down-512.png  BARRYOSAMA reacted to a post in a topic: The Democrat's roster for a Trump - beater in 2020 3 hours ago
  • Disdain 1

8 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

Ok?  Who said it was?  Not sure what your trying to say Dante.  

1. *you're

2. The bloated pharmaceutical giant in Indianapolis (that I can now bad-mouth because my aunt no longer does drug development for them) doesn't produce "life-saving compounds", but rather superfluous crap for decrepit Boomers. 

• Haha 1

As pressure will continue to mount on Governors to drop restrictions, the fact is we still do not know the extent of what we are dealing with. While this is about San Francisco, the likelihood is that numbers are similar to this in major cities across the country. 
https://www.foxnews.com/health/coronavirus-antibody-testing-finds-bay-area-infections-85-times-higher-reported-researchers

I Do think this article deflates the conspiracy theory that Health officials and Governors are inflating  umbers in their states. 

The key is testing. We HAVE to have a widely administered test before we can begin the conversation of opening things back up. 

• Like 1