Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

MSC-PLAC 2019

Excited to compete against another school, but with the offseason being set up the way it is I believe the scrimmage set up needs a change. 

I would be a proponent of having a mandated off week for all IHSAA Football teams (last 1/3 of season or all schools bye week is the same week) and start Week 1 of season in place of the scrimmage. Maybe schools would see that as an opportunity for scheduling their Fall Breaks. 

OR

Give the opportunity to schedule a 10th game and they can choose to schedule it in place of the scrimmage. 

Attached is a copy of the rules and regulations of the controlled scrimmage from 2018 and I'm pretty sure it hasn't changed.  If you scroll to the second page you will see the two different options.  Essentially Option A has a kicking game portion of it with no goal line set.  Option B does not have any special teams involved and has a 10 play goal line set from the 10 yard line.

Controlled Scrimmage Rules and Regulations (1).pdf

16 minutes ago, Lions 55 said:

I didn’t realize there were multiple options for the scrimmage.  Can someone explain each option?  Salem/Madison have done the same thing since the scrimmage’s were started.  Thanks.

http://www.ihsaa.org/dnn/Sports/Boys/Football/tabid/68/Default.aspx Click on Scrimmage Rules

I believe you can petition to have a jamboree, but not sure if the same things apply per number of plays per team. I assume the time limit and max number of plays is the same. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gc75 said:

Are there any advantages to doing a jamboree versus a scrimmage? I have heard some talk of conferences going back to a jamboree.

No idea, the format I received from the school was:

Quarter 1:

15 plays or 15 minutes Team A -25 yard line

15 plays or 15 minutes Team B -25 yard line

6  plays –First down and Goal Team A - 5 yard line

6  plays- First down and Goal Team B -5 yard line

7 minute break/ warm up 

3 hours ago, senatorcoach72 said:

Excited to compete against another school, but with the offseason being set up the way it is I believe the scrimmage set up needs a change. 

I would be a proponent of having a mandated off week for all IHSAA Football teams (last 1/3 of season or all schools bye week is the same week) and start Week 1 of season in place of the scrimmage. Maybe schools would see that as an opportunity for scheduling their Fall Breaks. 

OR

Give the opportunity to schedule a 10th game and they can choose to schedule it in place of the scrimmage. 

I dont really have any interest in a bye week. I could see why some would want it though.. I want a 10th game. 

We will have had 46 "practices" 8 of those against other teams, 1 scrimmage against another team, and 1 intrasquad scrimmage before our first game. Entirely too many. 

• Like 1

Observations from Floyd Central/ Charlestown scrimmage

Teams looked evenly matched. Both Defenses seemed to dominate when starters were on the field. Lots of subbing on both sides. More then usual for Charlestown.

However I was troubled by Charlestown's lack of imaginative play calling and offensive schematics. Passing game is still inept. The same things that have caused us not to have won a sectional game since 2015!

Hopefully  they are saving the good stuff for the season.

Week 1 Games:

Crawford Co. at Switzerland Co.

Eastern Greene at Springs Valley

Madison at Paoli

Mitchell at Edgewood

Perry Central at Tell City

West Washington at Eastern Pekin

Charlestown at Silver Creek

Clarksville at Scottsburg

Corydon at Brownstown

Salem at North Harrison

13 hours ago, PiratePride said:

Observations from Floyd Central/ Charlestown scrimmage

Teams looked evenly matched. Both Defenses seemed to dominate when starters were on the field. Lots of subbing on both sides. More then usual for Charlestown.

However I was troubled by Charlestown's lack of imaginative play calling and offensive schematics. Passing game is still inept. The same things that have caused us not to have won a sectional game since 2015!

Hopefully  they are saving the good stuff for the season.

My observation: Charlestown tries to “win” a scrimmage. If they want to try to beat Floyd Central, then why not start a series with them? I have no idea about how these seasons will go for these teams. But it’s hard to say they are “evenly matched” when Charlestown never takes their starters out. Floyds Starters played 10 plays total.

Edited by Fkfootball

16 minutes ago, Fkfootball said:

16 minutes ago, Fkfootball said:

My observation: Charlestown tries to “win” a scrimmage. If they want to try to beat Floyd Central, then why not start a series with them? I have no idea about how these seasons will go for these teams. But it’s hard to say they are “evenly matched” when Charlestown never takes their starters out. Floyds Starters played 10 plays total.

And believe me. I’m not slighting Charlestown. They are a very good football team. I just have never understood why Hawkins does that. Marion Lukes played about 40 snaps going both ways. 

Edited by Fkfootball

3 hours ago, JQWL said:

Week 1 Games:

Madison at Paoli

Mitchell at Edgewood

Corydon at Brownstown

Salem at North Harrison

So is this going to be moved to the Pick Em site?

Can anyone join?

I was going to wait to make my picks until I knew if I had a running back this week or not but fortune favors the impatient!

Week 1 Games:

Madison at Paoli

Mitchell at Edgewood

Corydon at Brownstown

Salem at North Harrison

Eastern Greene at Springs Valley

Madison at Paoli

Mitchell at Edgewood

Perry Central at Tell City

West Washington at Eastern Pekin

Charlestown at Silver Creek

Clarksville at Scottsburg

Corydon at Brownstown

Salem at North Harrison 

23 hours ago, Fkfootball said:

This is not allowed per scrimmage rules.

• Like 1

Long time listener, first time caller lol......

Life long Perry county/Crawford county resident.....but actually got hooked on Valley football in the 80s....been following PLAC and more or less MSC teams since.

I got buddies with inside scopes all over southern Indiana....they’ll trade info for beer any day!  Ha!

Any way, I’m looking at the MSC for game of the week.......NH lost a ton, but they’ve had Salem’s number for a while......Salem returns a lot, and their Q may be one of the best small school Qs this side of I-74.

All that being said, I think NHs staff has the Lions’ staffs number.....but I’ve been wrong a time or two before.

My picks:

Switzerland (finally not neutral lol)

Valley

Madison (paoli lost them all)

Edgewood (Mitchell night only best Crawford this year)

Perry (my pick for PLAC champs)

west wash (wasn’t this suppose to be a conference game lol?)

Charlestown

Scottsburg

Corydon (upset special of the week)

NH

Gonna go finish watching Drew Brees carve up the Buckeyes, circa 2000.....gotta love that BTN!

8 hours ago, PLAC FAN said:

Long time listener, first time caller lol......

Life long Perry county/Crawford county resident.....but actually got hooked on Valley football in the 80s....been following PLAC and more or less MSC teams since.

I got buddies with inside scopes all over southern Indiana....they’ll trade info for beer any day!  Ha!

Any way, I’m looking at the MSC for game of the week.......NH lost a ton, but they’ve had Salem’s number for a while......Salem returns a lot, and their Q may be one of the best small school Qs this side of I-74.

All that being said, I think NHs staff has the Lions’ staffs number.....but I’ve been wrong a time or two before.

My picks:

Switzerland (finally not neutral lol)

Valley

Madison (paoli lost them all)

Edgewood (Mitchell night only best Crawford this year)

Perry (my pick for PLAC champs)

west wash (wasn’t this suppose to be a conference game lol?)

Charlestown

Scottsburg

Corydon (upset special of the week)

NH

Gonna go finish watching Drew Brees carve up the Buckeyes, circa 2000.....gotta love that BTN!

Just like to welcome ya to program!! Haha. Look forward to the inside scoops. Even if they are made up but they are entertaining I'm all for it!! 

On 8/17/2019 at 8:57 PM, JQWL said:

Week 1 Games:

Madison at Paoli

Mitchell at Edgewood

Corydon at Brownstown

Salem at North Harrison

Just noticed, Mitchell opens at Edgewood. After getting new red turf last year, Edgewood had another construction project over the summer. New home and visitors locker facilities. I can't recall whether they had already done a bleacher upgrade or if it was in the works. I know they've flipped home and away stands, so the visitors will now have to face the sun in the early season games. As an added bonus they have also added officials dressing in the new building, so we no longer have the long walk across the parking lot. Edgewood has made some massive facility upgrades the last two years, it looks awesome. 

• Like 2