Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Mississinewa

The candidates that the school bring in to interview and subsequent decide to hire who they feel best fits the Culture and program that Coach Funk and his staff helped create. 

I am sure they will have a nice pool of candidates, maybe some in house, some from outside the program. 

In the meantime, let the process play out 

I know of 1 current assistant that is applying for the position.  The administration is going to have a tough decision to make as I am sure the pool of applicants will be high.  Some positive things that the new coach will have to work with:

1. Turf field that is only 2 years old

2.  Weight Room that is outstanding and better than many high schools around the state.

3.  Returns some key offensive and defensive players.

4.  Last season's JV players got a lot of Varsity level experience as they played against other schools Varsity in blowouts.

5.  Lineman returning next year are just as big and strong as what graduated.

6.  Remainder of coaching staff has not resigned so they would be available to stay on staff.

7.  Great fan support as well as well as a great parent group for support.

The biggest drawback for the position is that there is no swimming pool at the school and having to share the turf field with the soccer teams and youth leagues.  But there is a natural grass practice field to use that is pretty decent shape.  

When Coach Funk was hired the administration set up a committee that included school board members, returning players, teachers, and a couple of community members.  Not sure if this what will happen this time or not.  Replacing Coach Funk is going to be difficult but he has left a good foundation that the new coach will continue to build.  Promoting from within may be the best option.  But then again with the football mentality that Coach Funk installed in the players all the way down into the beginning of the youth programs will attract a lot of coach's from not just in Indiana but possibly around the country.  

1 hour ago, Indiansreloaded said:

I know of 1 current assistant that is applying for the position.  The administration is going to have a tough decision to make as I am sure the pool of applicants will be high.  Some positive things that the new coach will have to work with:

1. Turf field that is only 2 years old

2.  Weight Room that is outstanding and better than many high schools around the state.

3.  Returns some key offensive and defensive players.

4.  Last season's JV players got a lot of Varsity level experience as they played against other schools Varsity in blowouts.

5.  Lineman returning next year are just as big and strong as what graduated.

6.  Remainder of coaching staff has not resigned so they would be available to stay on staff.

7.  Great fan support as well as well as a great parent group for support.

The biggest drawback for the position is that there is no swimming pool at the school and having to share the turf field with the soccer teams and youth leagues.  But there is a natural grass practice field to use that is pretty decent shape.  

When Coach Funk was hired the administration set up a committee that included school board members, returning players, teachers, and a couple of community members.  Not sure if this what will happen this time or not.  Replacing Coach Funk is going to be difficult but he has left a good foundation that the new coach will continue to build.  Promoting from within may be the best option.  But then again with the football mentality that Coach Funk installed in the players all the way down into the beginning of the youth programs will attract a lot of coach's from not just in Indiana but possibly around the country.  

No swimming pool?  Sorry, am I missing something?

Wonder if they'll be some Hamilton Country/Northside Marion County coaches that are interested in the job. It's an hour-ish commute and I've heard of head coaches making longer commutes than that for the head-honcho job. 

Edited by MICFan34

I actually made it to the final round of interviews when they hired Coach Funk.  I sat in the conference room with the school board, A.D., and Principal.  One of the board members asked my why I was such a "Bittergymteacher" and I told him a story about how my high school never had a swimming pool and it kept me from being a national champion swimmer (that and I suck at swimming).  I knew their lack of pool facilities would cost me the job!!!

In all seriousness, I did make it to the final round that year and it was the most pleasant interviewing process I had been through.  I hated not getting hired but they definitely made a great choice in picking Funk that year.  Ole Miss will do it right again and take their time for a quality head coach.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bittergymteacher said:

I actually made it to the final round of interviews when they hired Coach Funk.  I sat in the conference room with the school board, A.D., and Principal.  One of the board members asked my why I was such a "Bittergymteacher" and I told him a story about how my high school never had a swimming pool and it kept me from being a national champion swimmer (that and I suck at swimming).  I knew their lack of pool facilities would cost me the job!!!

In all seriousness, I did make it to the final round that year and it was the most pleasant interviewing process I had been through.  I hated not getting hired but they definitely made a great choice in picking Funk that year.  Ole Miss will do it right again and take their time for a quality head coach.  

South Newton has a pool, of which to say I was a four year letter winner for the Swimmin' Rebels.  I never even thought of applying for the Mississinewa job, probably because I've never coached a down of organized tackle football and I'm just tearing  the world of corporate finance up.  But now that I know they're may be some grid iron-natatorium correlation, I may give it a shot...

16 hours ago, Indiansreloaded said:

I know of 1 current assistant that is applying for the position.  

Would you be in favor of an outside hire?  What about a young coach or first time head coach?  Because I would definitely apply for this job as a young coach looking for my first head coaching position.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LCKfan4life said:

Ole Miss also voted #1 Cowbell School in the state 3 years in a row.  🙂 

Just trying to ruffle the Panthers feathers aren't ya 🙂....  Cass #1 in the state last year, couldn't win a Regional... Would've loved to see an old school MIC match-up in Semi-State last year.

34 minutes ago, djbowzz said:

Just trying to ruffle the Panthers feathers aren't ya 🙂....  Cass #1 in the state last year, couldn't win a Regional... Would've loved to see an old school MIC match-up in Semi-State last year.

Lol just seeing how long it would take!!! Panthers are in a league of their own in all things cowbell. Both of these schools are great football schools. Tremendous support from community and buy in from players. 

• Like 1

All four of those are good jobs but they definitely have distinctly different flavors. Roncalli is a cornerstone of the Catholic school system of the state's largest city, with proven tradition and a nice steady stream of tested athletes coming from the CYO leagues. Certainly a nice job to pad the record and trophy case but not a financially enticing prospect I would presume compared to public counterparts. Excellent rivalries with Chatard and Brebeuf, and a nice undefeated title run in 2016 during the Scifres swan song. However from 2006-2019 they had the title run in 16 a regional in 15 and a sectional in 14. Most programs would take that success but for a school with 9 titles in 12 appearances this would be considered a bit of a lull. Shout out to that 2005 Lowell team I watched in person knock of the Rebs, what a special game.

Evansville Reitz is another school with some nice tradition albeit not on Roncalli's level but still a couple undefeated title runs coupled with some sectional/regional championships from 2003-2010 put this blue collar Midwestern city school on the map. However the past decade has seen them slip into more mediocrity with just a couple sectional titles as other city schools like Memorial and Central have surged. 

Have to love a chance though to coach in such a cool spot like the Reitz Bowl though.

Also Ole Miss has to be one of the largest enrollments without a pool. 

Edited by silvertone1696

44 minutes ago, HoopsCoach said:

Mississinewa could drop down to 3A for the next cycle.

Is that a “better” post season route than 4a?

Not trying to slight anyone or any team. Don’t really know how else to phrase it and I’m not too familiar with that part of the state in 3-4a. 

1 hour ago, DannEllenwood said:

Is that a “better” post season route than 4a?

Not trying to slight anyone or any team. Don’t really know how else to phrase it and I’m not too familiar with that part of the state in 3-4a. 

If Ole Miss did end up in 3A, I could see them moving into sectional 27.  Concordia is the best team in the current alignment of that sectional.  Delta and Marion both had a higher Sagarin rating than Concordia last season, and Ole Miss beat both of them to win sectional 20.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2020 at 9:38 AM, Coach Nowlin said:

so Mississinewa does not participate in Swimming ?   Or use other local facilities?  School that size without swim team seems odd to me 

No they do not.  When the school was built in the 70's there was plans for a pool and auditorium, but both were axed due to budget.  In the late 80's there was a discussion by the board to add the pool and it was again decided not to build it because of the humidity issues that other schools were having locally.  The pool was to go where the auxiliary gym was built in 2016. 

On 2/20/2020 at 10:43 AM, Knightmare said:

Would you be in favor of an outside hire?  What about a young coach or first time head coach?  Because I would definitely apply for this job as a young coach looking for my first head coaching position.

The one inside would be his first head coaching job and under 30 years old.  He has a good relationship with the players and knows the system that Funk set in place.  

On 2/20/2020 at 1:58 PM, LouH said:

I think miss. was coach funk first head coaching job.

Yes it was his first head coach position.  When he first arrived he looked like a Senior in high school.  

On 2/20/2020 at 4:47 PM, HoopsCoach said:

Mississinewa could drop down to 3A for the next cycle.

Many have thought that since Mississinewa moved up to 4A in 2015.  Then they were the smallest in 4A based on enrollment.  I think Andrean was 4A due to success factor.  The next realignment Mississinewa was the 3rd or 4th smallest school based on enrollment in 4A.  The most recent realignment they were still around the 3rd or 4th smallest school in 4A.  Depending on how many schools drop football and how the enrollment numbers are they are a bubble school for 3A and 4A.  Moving down to 3A may not last long due to enrollment.

On 2/20/2020 at 9:48 AM, MICFan34 said:

Wonder if they'll be some Hamilton Country/Northside Marion County coaches that are interested in the job. It's an hour-ish commute and I've heard of head coaches making longer commutes than that for the head-honcho job. 

In the mid 90's Mississinewa had a head coach that commuted from Indy area by the name of Vince Lorenzono.  Mississinewa likes coach's that live in the district or less than 40 minute drive.  Mississinewa likes to see the Head Coach involved in the community.  Also the head football coach is involved with the youth sports program.  So being willing to reside close to the Mississinewa Community would be to the advantage of the applicants.

21 hours ago, GV5 said:

Barnes would be a great interior pick!

Barnes is not a licensed teacher.  Although not required by the IHSAA anymore, but Mississinewa usually prefers a licensed teacher to be head coach of football and basketball.  Not sure if he would want to give up his full-time job.

Funk and assistant coach Josh Greentree were both named as coaches for the Region 5 All Star Team.  So whoever gets the job would have an excellent coaching staff in place if they choose to keep all the assistants.