Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

washington has hired a new coach...

I was just talking about the open Washington position a week ago. I hadn’t realized Jake Durnil stepped down at the time. 

What’s strange is some of the parents I spoke to  last fall seemed to feel he had some things going in the right direction, mostly pertaining to the younger incoming classes. Yet, the on-field product and varsity numbers were not encouraging signs. 

Good luck to Coach Morris. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, tango said:

Great message. I too hope he can turn the program around.  A big step would be getting the community to show that football matters and invest in a turf field at Hatchet Hollow.    

I think it’s a pretty cool venue, although a little tight on the sidelines. I haven’t been there in several years, they used to have a pretty nice Bermuda grass field. 

2 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I think it’s a pretty cool venue, although a little tight on the sidelines. I haven’t been there in several years, they used to have a pretty nice Bermuda grass field. 

A little tight? You better tell your line judge not to work the bottom of the white or he might fall in a storm drain. I think it was a GS poster who had a picture showing that last time it came up.

Best of luck to Coach Morris. I guess he would have played for Coach Purichia back then? Great coach to learn from then. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JQWL said:

What do you have circled? I can't tell.

The white is a probably a 3‘ x 3’ concrete pad surrounding a 12-18 inch drain. (Small metal circle inside the concrete square.)

The issue is that the concrete is probably 2-3 inches off the out of bounds line on the north visitor 20 yard line. I think they cover it with plywood or a PE Mat during games, but it’s still a dangerous spot. 

Not much worse than sprinkler heads filled with sand I have seen at other natural grass fields, the crash pad in the dark corner of Reitz Bowl, or the pole vault incline at Boonville. 

I just hope Coach Morris will hold a little more sway when it comes to potential upgrades to the football facilities, as Hatchet Hollow is in desperate need of some. I realize this is easier said than done, but removing the track to extend the sideline along with a resurfacing job and new grass would completely change the entire complexion of the field.  

VL was in a similar situation with Inman Field a few years back, although not as dire. 

Edited by SEAL_63

6 hours ago, SEAL_63 said:

I just hope Coach Morris will hold a little more sway when it comes to potential upgrades to the football facilities, as Hatchet Hollow is in desperate need of some. I realize this is easier said than done, but removing the track to extend the sideline along with a resurfacing job and new grass would completely change the entire complexion of the field.  

VL was in a similar situation with Inman Field a few years back, although not as dire. 

I would take the tight sidelines of hatchet Hallow any day to stay out of those New Deal visitor locker rooms at Inman Field!  🤣  They are the worst.  I hated them in 2001 when I played and they have not been touched since.  In all seriousness, you think that there is any chance they get some TLC with the move to he SIAC .... Not that all the City facilities are great.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

The white is a probably a 3‘ x 3’ concrete pad surrounding a 12-18 inch drain. (Small metal circle inside the concrete square.)

The issue is that the concrete is probably 2-3 inches off the out of bounds line on the north visitor 20 yard line. I think they cover it with plywood or a PE Mat during games, but it’s still a dangerous spot. 

Not much worse than sprinkler heads filled with sand I have seen at other natural grass fields, the crash pad in the dark corner of Reitz Bowl, or the pole vault incline at Boonville. 

This is my recollection as well.  In addition, the proximity to the track is frightening.

Edited by Titan32

27 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

This is my recollection as well.  In addition, the proximity to the track is frightening.

Boonville used to have a gentle slope in their endzone where the pole vault pit is.  I think they have leveled it out, but I could be wrong?

17 hours ago, tango said:

Boonville was pretty nice when we were up there in October.  The crown wasn't nearly as severe as Castle.  Both need to get turf though.  It makes sense for so many other things besides football...

To your point..

image.thumb.png.dae5871b9d1a0f2bc3431526cc6fb843.png

• Like 2

23 hours ago, eschnur66 said:

I would take the tight sidelines of hatchet Hallow any day to stay out of those New Deal visitor locker rooms at Inman Field!  🤣  They are the worst.  I hated them in 2001 when I played and they have not been touched since.  In all seriousness, you think that there is any chance they get some TLC with the move to he SIAC .... Not that all the City facilities are great.

This made me chuckle a little. A lot of truth in your statement. And trust me, the home locker rooms were just as bad at that time. Fortunately they are no longer in use.

Both locker rooms were relocated to either new or revamped buildings at the same time the field was resurfaced a few years ago. Still probably not great by some schools' standards, but functional and with proper plumbing!

19 hours ago, tango said:

Boonville was pretty nice when we were up there in October.  The crown wasn't nearly as severe as Castle.  Both need to get turf though.  It makes sense for so many other things besides football...

It would be a big investment because all Warrick County schools would need to be fitted with turf.  People often forget that Tecumseh is in Warrick county.  So Castle, Boonville, and Tecumseh would be pushing over $1.5 million, and probably closer to $2 million if you base it off of Jasper's cost.  Jasper's cost included resurfacing the track though too..