Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Salem HC

Sorry to hear. Good young coach, seemed really passionate about the program. 

Recurring theme in this game, we're losing good young coaches to burnout/time concerns. I will never fault a person for putting their family first, but our game is losing good young coaches because of some of the insane time commitments. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Sorry to hear. Good young coach, seemed really passionate about the program. 

Recurring theme in this game, we're losing good young coaches to burnout/time concerns. I will never fault a person for putting their family first, but our game is losing good young coaches because of some of the insane time commitments. 

Among many other things.

Most, not all, but most high school coaches teach as well as coach.   What is reasonable for a school to ask for as a time commitment from their Head Coach?  Couple hours a day for practice, then there is that flex time before and after so it ends up being more like 3 hours.  Then they have their commute.  With most of them teaching, they are likely to have some sort of lesson planning, test writing, grading time in their evening, then they have to make and eat dinner, practice planning for the next day, most will want to watch some film,  some staff to staff text and phone calls throughout the evening.  This is all before any parent or player issues are dealt with, youth league work is done, or any time is spent with family.  

That's not evening mentioning the weekend grind. Time with the varsity kids in film (which the coaches were up watching til 2 am the night before) and/or JV football on Saturday morning.  Maybe you get to collapse on the couch for a little while Saturday afternoon but then back to the film.  Sunday morning, film, church, lunch film, mow the lawn, change a light bulb, pay the bills, staff meeting in the evening, and getting ready to teach for the week, etc.  

Again, this is just in-season grind............lets not start on the off season. 

Seems like a lot to ask for the few thousand bucks that most coaches are paid at the HS level.  Is their any "fix" to this crazy work-life mix that coaches face today? 

29 minutes ago, Wedgebuster said:

Most, not all, but most high school coaches teach as well as coach.   What is reasonable for a school to ask for as a time commitment from their Head Coach?  Couple hours a day for practice, then there is that flex time before and after so it ends up being more like 3 hours.  Then they have their commute.  With most of them teaching, they are likely to have some sort of lesson planning, test writing, grading time in their evening, then they have to make and eat dinner, practice planning for the next day, most will want to watch some film,  some staff to staff text and phone calls throughout the evening.  This is all before any parent or player issues are dealt with, youth league work is done, or any time is spent with family.  

That's not evening mentioning the weekend grind. Time with the varsity kids in film (which the coaches were up watching til 2 am the night before) and/or JV football on Saturday morning.  Maybe you get to collapse on the couch for a little while Saturday afternoon but then back to the film.  Sunday morning, film, church, lunch film, mow the lawn, change a light bulb, pay the bills, staff meeting in the evening, and getting ready to teach for the week, etc.  

Again, this is just in-season grind............lets not start on the off season. 

Seems like a lot to ask for the few thousand bucks that most coaches are paid at the HS level.  Is their any "fix" to this crazy work-life mix that coaches face today? 

IMHO, there is.

Stop trying to "keep up with the Jones'".

1 hour ago, Wedgebuster said:

I would like to hear how some veteran coaches have combated this crazy work-life balance

1 hour ago, DannEllenwood said:

IMHO, there is.

Stop trying to "keep up with the Jones'".

I think the counter argument is that "my team will lose because others are out-working us"  Could the IHSAA make certain rules that prohibit off-season schedules?  They have started to do that now with some things.  Otherwise, I think everyone will continue to try to "keep up with the Jones"

10 minutes ago, Knightmare said:

I would like to hear how some veteran coaches have combated this crazy work-life balance

I think the counter argument is that "my team will lose because others are out-working us"  Could the IHSAA make certain rules that prohibit off-season schedules?  They have started to do that now with some things.  Otherwise, I think everyone will continue to try to "keep up with the Jones"

Then let them.

2 hours ago, Wedgebuster said:

There is no "good fix ." Either put in the time and grind it out with a family that is understanding of the time and financial short comings. Or, have a short head coaching career...

The districts are locked into what they get from the state and referendums. A lot of times districts want to pay more but fiscally cannot. It will only change if the state legislature will pony up and actually fund public education appropriately or communities invest more into their community's children's education.

I’ve found that with Hudl, phones, texts, weekend meetings don’t necessarily have to happen anymore with a few exceptions. It can also be easy to confuse being busy with being productive. Just from my experience, I’m a better coach when I’m rested and I take time to recharge.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Wedgebuster said:

I remember my last year as an assistant I would have a practice with varsity kids then JV game on Monday, Practice Tuesday followed by my son's youth practice. Wouldn't get home until 7:30 or 8. Wednesday just HS practice. Thursday practice then youth practice. Friday game. Saturday youth game, watching films. Always made sure I watched the Louisville game. Sunday my younger sons had soccer games and we had our coaches meeting. I actually took a day off of school (probably a sick day) so I could catch up on mowing one week. It was my favorite season I have had coaching.