Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Mt. Vernon and South Spencer HC Jobs

Both positions have some positives and negatives.  I am interested to see the direction each school chooses to go.

MTV- can the new coach (whoever it will be) build on what Coach Brunson was building.? Will the move to the PAC help or hurt them?  I would guess help, but you never know.

SS- can the new coach turn things around?  Will the shakeup in the PAC help them? I am not sure it will.  I know SS has had success in the past.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Coach_K said:

Both positions have some positives and negatives.  I am interested to see the direction each school chooses to go.

MTV- can the new coach (whoever it will be) build on what Coach Brunson was building.? Will the move to the PAC help or hurt them?  I would guess help, but you never know.

SS- can the new coach turn things around?  Will the shakeup in the PAC help them? I am not sure it will.  I know SS has had success in the past.  

I don't think things change much at all for MTV schedule wise.  Five games stay the same.  They trade South Spencer for Mount Carmel, Forest Park for Scottsburg and GS for Jasper.  Looks like they are short a game yet for Sept. 11th on the new schedule...could look at that game as a Vincennes replacement. 

image.png.be83be278b5240bfb0b2029bc6c5ca4f.pngimage.png.1c24d596546f032999301aab26342966.png

3 hours ago, CJJL said:

South Spencer IMO, is a sleeping giant. Whoever gets this job is getting a good gig.

Why would you say SS is a sleeping giant? Facilities? Athletes coming up? Administration support? I think they're re-doing the weight room, right?

6 hours ago, JQWL said:

Why would you say SS is a sleeping giant? Facilities? Athletes coming up? Administration support? I think they're re-doing the weight room, right?

I kinda wondered the same thing.  Haven’t really ever done much and getting through Sectional 40 with Mater Dei and (usually) Southridge is always going to be a challenge.  

10 hours ago, Coach_K said:

I don't know if I agree with this. I think short term with the right coach MTV can win some games but I think the move to the (big school) PAC hurts their ability to win long term. 

10 hours ago, PantherBall20 said:

I don't know if I agree with this. I think short term with the right coach MTV can win some games but I think the move to the (big school) PAC hurts their ability to win long term. 

Do you think if the Big 8 had stayed together that would hurt their ability to win long term? Five teams remain the same and the add Forest Park, South Spencer, and Gibson Southern. They lose Mt. Carmel, Scottsburg, and Jasper.  

20 hours ago, Titan32 said:

Looks like they are short a game yet for Sept. 11th on the new schedule...could look at that game as a Vincennes replacement. 

On the thread "PAC 2020..." it shows North Central (Farmersburg) for Sept. 11th. 

If I'm a Mt. Vernon fan (I am not!) I look at next years schedule and believe they have 6 should be wins, HH is going to have to reload (if I'm a fan I see a win,) Boonville we played tough last year (fan hoping for coin toss game,) and Gibson Southern. So IF I'm a MTV man I see 6-3 to 8-1 and we build on our perceived positive momentum. 

12 hours ago, tango said:

I kinda wondered the same thing.  Haven’t really ever done much and getting through Sectional 40 with Mater Dei and (usually) Southridge is always going to be a challenge.  

I would add Linton to this... 

I made the comment about South Spencer because my wives family lives in the SS school district. The community really wants good FB back. Again IMO community support is the single most important factor in rebuilding a program. Plus, Joh Edge is an excellent coach so I know the last 2 years have been very productive and the players will have a good fundamental knowledge. All this together leads me to believe that South Spencer is a good job.

• Like 2

On 3/4/2020 at 9:10 AM, Titan32 said:

Hi All,

Not looking for any rumors here...we all know the rules.  That said...who do you think we have out there roaming the state that might be a good fit for these jobs?

Sir, do you know the endzone camera situation at those two schools? It could go a long way to attract or repel potential suitors. 

• Like 1

On 3/4/2020 at 10:48 AM, CJJL said:

South Spencer IMO, is a sleeping giant. Whoever gets this job is getting a good gig.

I don't know about a sleeping giant...but maybe a sleeping good job.  SS will be 1A in three years as enrollment continues on a downward trend.  The best indicator on where a program is heading is the interest of the youth and the SS youth had 120 kids involved, nice numbers (nearly 1A) school.  Also a strong 7th grade team (will be 8th graders this coming season).

Edited by Titan32

19 hours ago, Tanka Jahari said:

Sir, do you know the endzone camera situation at those two schools? It could go a long way to attract or repel potential suitors. 

Mount Vernon has a pretty solid endzone camera... I have seen the footage.  Crystal clear on a rainy Friday night...  Although it could have been their visitors who had the end zone camera...

Don't know about South Spencer

19 hours ago, Tanka Jahari said:

I do not....I know MV has resources and tend to have top of the line stuff.  I agree that this should be a major consideration for potential coaches!

On 3/5/2020 at 8:21 AM, Cappy said:

If I'm a Mt. Vernon fan (I am not!) I look at next years schedule and believe they have 6 should be wins, HH is going to have to reload (if I'm a fan I see a win,) Boonville we played tough last year (fan hoping for coin toss game,) and Gibson Southern. So IF I'm a MTV man I see 6-3 to 8-1 and we build on our perceived positive momentum. 

Just to clarify...is this what you are saying you think they could pull off?

Heritage Hills      W
South Spencer    W
Princeton             W 
Farmersburg       W
Forest Park         W
Boonville              ?
Gibson Southern  L
North Posey          ?
Washington          W

1 hour ago, Titan32 said:

Just to clarify...is this what you are saying you think they could pull off?

Heritage Hills      W
South Spencer    W
Princeton             W 
Farmersburg       W
Forest Park         W
Boonville              ?
Gibson Southern  L
North Posey          ?
Washington          W

Nope had HH and NP swapped, and to clarify that is not my opinion. That is the opinion I would have if I was a MTV fan. 

I would predict they lose to HH, GS, Boon, NP, and possibly one other school like FP or SS. 

6 minutes ago, Evansville50 said:

How can someone with a 9-43 record be considered a great hire?

Dude can flat out coach....that is all I know.

1 minute ago, Cappy said:

Nope had HH and NP swapped, and to clarify that is not my opinion. That is the opinion I would have if I was a MTV fan. 

I would predict they lose to HH, GS, Boon, NP, and possibly one other school like FP or SS. 

I get it now.

5 hours ago, Evansville50 said:

I would think both of these programs should bring in young coaches with energy and new ideas to spark the program and compete. First time head coach instead of retreads the have been let go in other places. Brunson sparked Mt Vernon. In order to complete at schools like this I feel like you have to really be different or great at some facet like Brunsons offense is.   

19 hours ago, Evansville50 said:

I think you underestimate how much he did for that Bosse program. It's a struggle to get people to show up much less try and win games. On top of that he had to do a bunch of work in youth football development. The record doesn't indicate his ability to coach. He took a 2-8 team into sectionals and took 11-1 Big 8 Champs Boonville to the wire in 2018. 

• Like 1