Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The late game heroics were nice, but a final score of 23-21!?! Enter the shot clock debate

Muda69

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2020/03/04/does-ihsaa-need-add-shot-clocks-indiana-high-school-basketball/4954519002/

Almost immediately after I posted video of Jackson Hughes’ game-winning back shot on Twitter Tuesday night, the responses came quick. I knew they would.

A 23-21 final score — which was Zionsville’s margin over Fishers in Class 4A Sectional 8 at Noblesville — solicits an almost immediate reaction: “High school basketball needs a shot clock.”

Three older gentlemen sitting behind me were having the same conversation on Tuesday night, after the Zionsville-Fishers game was over and Carmel’s eventual 50-43 win over Hamilton Southeastern was underway.

But while a 23-21 score will illicit that response, I think it is also fair to understand there were other factors at play. It reminded me a lot of Warren Central’s 27-25 sectional win over Lawrence North in last year’s Sectional 10 game at Lawrence North. Like that game, Tuesday’s result was due to a combination of factors: methodical offense, Zionsville’s size and zone defense, Fishers’ solid man-to-man defense, a combined seven free throws, a combined 51 field goals attempted (there were 69 in the Carmel-HSE game) and 26 turnovers.

In addition, everybody is a little more nervous in a sectional game. Every possession is magnified. After the game, Zionsville coach Shaun Busick admitted the beauty was in the eye of the beholder.

A shot clock was not going to turn this into a 73-71 game, the numbers show. It might have made it 33-31. But it would have changed the final three minutes for sure.

Just say no to an Indiana high school basketball shot clock.  It is not needed.

• Thanks 1

Kid who hit the Game Winner was a Bomber 1st 3 years before moving to Zionsville with his Dad and Sister.    Would of LOVED to keep him with our Football team, he had a real nice year JR year, 6'5 205 would of been fun to utilize on both sides of the ball!!!   

So happy for the kid.  

As for the message of shot clock:  Im with ya Muda,  All Shot Clock is going to do and cause more wild shots, forced shots, out of control players and Refs blowing the whistle more bailing out guys and girls trying to create their own Shots as the time ticks down.  HARD PASS 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Kid who hit the Game Winner was a Bomber 1st 3 years before moving to Zionsville with his Dad and Sister.    Would of LOVED to keep him with our Football team, he had a real nice year JR year, 6'5 205 would of been fun to utilize on both sides of the ball!!!   

So happy for the kid.  

As for the message of shot clock:  Im with ya Muda,  All Shot Clock is going to do and cause more wild shots, forced shots, out of control players and Refs blowing the whistle more bailing out guys and girls trying to create their own Shots as the time ticks down.  HARD PASS 

Im glad he didnt stay. 

Rensselaer would be hands down the favorite in our bball sectional this year!! Him and Fleming? WHOA!!!

No shot clock!!  High School Basketball is fine like it is.  Bring back one class basketball, haha. That should open up a debate.   I don't even like the shot clock in college but I have adapted.  I do love the pitch clock in minor league baseball.  Lots of conflicts in those statements.  Ok attack!!!!

• Like 1

I like the run and gun style, so why not bring the shot clock. 😁Actually, the best method would be to adopt from lacrosse,  the "timer on" which would eliminate the need for stall ball and the shot clock and problem solved. You wouldn't have the 16 to 12 and such. Though my grandfather played in a pretty famous stall game in the 50s in which his team won 5 to 4. I think he had scored 35 the previous game against a decent opponent. The opposing coach basically made it known that he wasn't getting that many on his team. I have a good story of in game happenings that I will keep to myself, as one secured it from being a tie game.