Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Pro/Cons Turf vs. Grass

2 minutes ago, btownqbcoach said:

Tell us why turf is so awful here. 

Other than the expense and extravagance of such a project for what is basically a game played by children, I already linked to a number sources detailing the cons on field turf.  Please read them and educate yourself.

• Haha 1

Just now, Muda69 said:

Other than the expense and extravagance of such a project for what is basically a game played by children, I already linked to a number sources detailing the cons on field turf.  Please read them and educate yourself.

I am PLENTY educated on the subject. I simply do not care. 

I wanted to know who was getting turf and who was thinking about it in the other thread that I started. I have an excel spreadsheet dedicated just to that. I am very curious about the subject. 41% of the state had turf last year. I do not care about your crusade to complain about where tax dollars should be allocated. To be fair... I wouldn't care where anyone wanted tax dollars. 

The Pros and Cons can be discussed here. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqbcoach said:

I wanted to know who was getting turf and who was thinking about it in the other thread that I started. I have an excel spreadsheet dedicated just to that. I am very curious about the subject. 41% of the state had turf last year. I do not care about your crusade to complain about where tax dollars should be allocated. To be fair... I wouldn't care where anyone wanted tax dollars. 

Wow,  "simply do not care" and your apathetic attitude concerning taxpayer funding says a lot. 

So you don't care how your taxpayer dollars are spent?  Are you currently employed, if your are employed, in the private or public sector?  

10 minutes ago, btownqbcoach said:

I think when we did our bond...it raised property taxes on the average home $3.00 per year (or something close to that) until the bond matured...which it did early (I think) due to assessed values going up.  I have slept a lot since then but those details are close enough to show....financially it was pretty easy for the community to swing.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

a project for what is basically a game played by children

Actually SEVERAL games  played by SEVERAL different groups of children on different teams. As well as the students in the schools physical education classes, who could use it daily for class. PLUS the band and color guard students who could likely benefit from it for practice and competitions... AND the various community events that could be hosted by the school renting out the facility 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Wow,  "simply do not care" and your apathetic attitude concerning taxpayer funding says a lot. 

So you don't care how your taxpayer dollars are spent?  Are you currently employed, if your are employed, in the private or public sector?  

I don't care about your crusade. 

Whiting we have it.  We love it.  Our Pop Warner loves it.  Our fans love it.  Visiting teams love it.  Our maintenance dept. loves it.  Our admin loves it.  Our community loves it.  

Cons: everyone wants to use it.  We had a semi-pro team play a few times on it last year who left the surrounding area around the stadium a disaster.  

That is all.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GoodKn19ht said:

Actually SEVERAL games  played by SEVERAL different groups of children on different teams. As well as the students in the schools physical education classes, who could use it daily for class. PLUS the band and color guard students who could likely benefit from it for practice and competitions... AND the various community events that could be hosted by the school renting out the facility 

Key word:  children.

1 hour ago, btownqbcoach said:

I don't care about your crusade. 

Neither do I care about your crusade of taxpayer funded extravagance.   I guess you don't pay taxes.

• Confused 1
  • Kill me now 1

Pros---blah, blah, blah

Cons---those stupid black pellets get in my shoes.

However a local level/district wants to spend their money is their choice as long as the tax payers support it.

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

Key word:  children.

Neither do I care about your crusade of taxpayer funded extravagance.   I guess you don't pay taxes.

Every study I've heard has a payoff of 10-years when installing turf. This is based on the money saved to grass field maintenance, seeding, line painting, etc. Most fields seem to last about 10 years. The replacement cost is less than the original installation because the foundation is already there. I assume that means the pay back is even sooner. So yes it is an expense to the taxpayers, but in the long run it's no more than not installing the turf. And you get a lot more use out of it than grass.

Your issue based on other posts isn't about turf. It's about schools funding extra curricular activities in general.

16 hours ago, JustRules said:

Your issue based on other posts isn't about turf. It's about schools funding extra curricular activities in general.

In a way, yes.  In my end analysis it is about government getting out of the education business entirely.

Pros:

-Varsity, JV, 7th and 8th grade, and youth league teams all play on our turf. Many times Sunday is the only day there isn't a game.

-PE classes use it during the day

-Baseball and Softball are able to hit/field on it 

-Track teams can run/workout on it saving shins and legs

-No mud

-Little maintenance

-Uniforms last longer

-Tends to look nicer 

-Easier to mark off penalties/ do measurements (lines more accurate)

-Concussion type injuries are less common from hitting the turf in a helmet as opposed to a hard ground in November. (this is an observation, not a fact necessarily)

Cons:

Hella rubber pellets in my truck/house/classroom after practice 

Edited by olinecoach
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, olinecoach said:

-Easier to mark off penalties/ do measurements (lines more accurate)

Absolutely true! The same applies to well marked grass fields too, but less likely to be variability on turf fields.

Most good officials will also spot most first downs with the nose of the ball touching the back of a yard line. This way the officials can use the lines on the field (much less arbitrary) than the sticks on the sideline (very arbitrary). If you spot the ball between the yard lines, the back stake has to estimate about where it is between the lines from at least 20 yards away. He could easily be off by a foot or two. Then you have the person setting the clip (which is used in the event of a measurement or resetting the chains). He/she is at least a little closer to the line, but still a couple yards away. That could be off by 2-4 inches. If you don't have the benefit of using the lines to determine a first down on your spot, even that becomes an estimate (if an official tells you they know exactly where the spot is to the inch, they are lying). Then add in the potential movement as they are running in to give the spot to the umpire, you could easily have a couple inches of variability. But by using the yard lines, the wing officials can now use the yard line similar to the goal line and make a judgement of whether or not the ball reached that physical line. If they do they spot it as such and we move on with a first down. If in their judgement the ball was short of the line when it became dead they can spot it as such some distance short. No need to measure in most cases. We maybe have 1 or 2 per yer now.

Robert Faulkens hates this mechanic because he thinks it's a college mechanic. It's not specifically called out at any level. It's just a good mechanic most officials at all levels learn to use, especially when they have good lines on the field. Turf fields generally are going to have very good, consistent lines, and they are much easier to see and use on the field.

One pro that most people have probably missed is that it's easier to spot the dog crap when some uncaring person walks their dog on the field and lets their dog do its business without cleaning it up.  Nothing worse than that first tackle of the game, heading back to the huddle, and realizing that's not the sweet smell of success.  😃

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

One pro that most people have probably missed is that it's easier to spot the dog crap when some uncaring person walks their dog on the field and lets their dog do its business without cleaning it up.  Nothing worse than that first tackle of the game, heading back to the huddle, and realizing that's not the sweet smell of success.  😃

Dog crap builds character 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4