Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Pro/Cons Turf vs. Grass

3 hours ago, foxbat said:

One pro that most people have probably missed is that it's easier to spot the dog crap when some uncaring person walks their dog on the field and lets their dog do its business without cleaning it up.  Nothing worse than that first tackle of the game, heading back to the huddle, and realizing that's not the sweet smell of success.  😃

When I coached at Muncie Central, it was a fact of life that you would leave the field with at least two or three mounds of goose poop stuck to your shoes. 

I remember picking mud out of my teeth... and I remember washing mud out of my eyelids the regional game in 2008 vs. Southridge. 

Willing to bet that's as muddy and mushy of a field that's ever been played on. I've heard that game was the reason they got turf. Absolutely insane. 

1 hour ago, btownqbcoach said:

I remember picking mud out of my teeth... and I remember washing mud out of my eyelids the regional game in 2008 vs. Southridge. 

Willing to bet that's as muddy and mushy of a field that's ever been played on. I've heard that game was the reason they got turf. Absolutely insane. 

In your opinion, was the awful condition of the 2016 regional field the reason BC got turf? 
Or was it more keeping up with Seymour?

1 hour ago, btownqbcoach said:

Mud and muck should be part of the Indiana H.S. football experience.   Random elements such as field conditions give the game character, and force coaches and players to adapt to the elements.   With every single football field in Indiana going to artificial turf,  part of your agenda IIRC,  that random element is removed.  And the game overall suffers.

• Disdain 1

23 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Mud and muck should be part of the Indiana H.S. football experience.   Random elements such as field conditions give the game character, and force coaches and players to adapt to the elements.   With every single football field in Indiana going to artificial turf,  part of your agenda IIRC,  that random element is removed.  And the game overall suffers.

Your snarky attitude gets really annoying(bolded). Stop quoting me. I do not care for your opinion (see the underlined). 

Telling me that I have an agenda is quite honestly absurd. Again.. stop quoting me. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

In your opinion, was the awful condition of the 2016 regional field the reason BC got turf? 
Or was it more keeping up with Seymour?

Regional certainly played a part. Keeping up with Seymour? I don't understand? 

I would say the majority of the reason we got the turf

-Getting an 8 lane track at the same time/saved cost there 

-We have a pretty pro-sports community/They saw the community understood the overall impact our football program has had on other sports

-We understood the benefits for the community/overall sports program of getting the turf

We also upgraded tennis courts, new baseball locker rooms/coaches offices, new baseball concrete bleachers/backstop, AC in both gyms, new bleachers in the gym, renovations to the gym to make it wheelchair accessible, new football stadium/pressbox. They are also currently replacing the gym floor. 

Image result for brownstown central football stadium

Image result for brownstown central football stadium

Image result for brownstown central baseball Bleachers have been replaced since this picture with concrete ones that are built into that bank behind the backstop and they turfed the batters box. 

Image result for brownstown central basketball gym

image.jpeg

23 minutes ago, btownqbcoach said:

Your snarky attitude gets really annoying(bolded). Stop quoting me. I do not care for your opinion (see the underlined). 

Telling me that I have an agenda is quite honestly absurd. Again.. stop quoting me. 

Why so sensitive, Chief?  Just own up to it:

Sounds like an agenda to me............................

And interesting that you didn't address the other point that I made concerning traditional grass fields.

• Disdain 1

6 hours ago, btownqbcoach said:

Regional certainly played a part. Keeping up with Seymour? I don't understand? 

I would say the majority of the reason we got the turf

-Getting an 8 lane track at the same time/saved cost there 

-We have a pretty pro-sports community/They saw the community understood the overall impact our football program has had on other sports

I could be mistaken, but didn’t Seymour get turf installed on their football field the year before Brownstown did?

If my county rival improved their facility, I would want to do the same. That’s all I meant. Nothing negative implied. But as you said being such a pro-sports community, maybe the plan was already in place for BC’s upgrades before that.

Edited by oldtimeqb

21 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

I could be mistaken, but didn’t Seymour get turf installed on their football field the year before Brownstown did?

If my county rival improved their facility, I would want to do the same. That’s all I meant. Nothing negative implied. But as you said being such a pro-sports community, maybe the plan was already in place for BC’s upgrades before that.

2 years I think. I don't think Seymour having it was ever brought up. They have awesome facilities. A couple of our renovations were replacing facilities that were built in the 60s, some of them were simply things that had to be done. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Wedgebuster said:

Has anyone noticed any higher occurrence in knee or ankle injuries on turf?  Seems to me I've seen more players get their foot "stuck" in the turf (combination of great cleats and a great playing surface) and the first thing to give is their knee or ankle. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30452873

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Biomechanical studies have shown that synthetic turf surfaces do not release cleats as readily as natural turf, and it has been hypothesized that concomitant increased loading on the foot contributes to the incidence of lower body injuries. This study evaluates this hypothesis from an epidemiologic perspective, examining whether the lower extremity injury rate in National Football League (NFL) games is greater on contemporary synthetic turfs as compared with natural surfaces.

HYPOTHESIS:

Incidence of lower body injury is higher on synthetic turf than on natural turf among elite NFL athletes playing on modern-generation surfaces.

STUDY DESIGN:

Cohort study; Level of evidence, 3.

METHODS:

Lower extremity injuries reported during 2012-2016 regular season games were included, with all 32 NFL teams reporting injuries under mandated, consistent data collection guidelines. Poisson models were used to construct crude and adjusted incidence rate ratios (IRRs) to estimate the influence of surface type on lower body injury groupings (all lower extremity, knee, ankle/foot) for any injury reported as causing a player to miss football participation as well as injuries resulting in ≥8 days missed. A secondary analysis was performed on noncontact/surface contact injuries.

RESULTS:

Play on synthetic turf resulted in a 16% increase in lower extremity injuries per play than that on natural turf (IRR, 1.16; 95% CI, 1.10-1.23). This association between synthetic turf and injury remained when injuries were restricted to those that resulted in ≥8 days missed, as well as when categorizations were narrowed to focus on distal injuries anatomically closer to the playing surface (knee, ankle/foot). The higher rate of injury on synthetic turf was notably stronger when injuries were restricted to noncontact/surface contact injuries (IRRs, 1.20-2.03; all statistically significant).

CONCLUSION:

These results support the biomechanical mechanism hypothesized and add confidence to the conclusion that synthetic turf surfaces have a causal impact on lower extremity injury.

7 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Interesting article

I've always had this thought, but until reading that article it had always just been anecdotal.   Seen it happen many times on turf, personally experience in college (had a defensive player thrown into my legs while engaged in a block, foot stuck, knee gave) 

Related question for the Forum......how many of your team's O-Lineman wear some sort of knee brace and who supplies that for them?