Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

COVID 19

21 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

Maybe a nice long 20 hour ride in the car together going somewhere would bring out some of that infamous Ly magic.....

Something tells me the result of that 20 hour ride would be more akin to “Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome”.

“Two men enter, one man leaves”.

I am best in small doses.....20 hours would tax even Job’s patience.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Lysander said:

Something tells me the result of that 20 hour ride would be more akin to “Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome”.

“Two men enter, one man leaves”.

I am best in small doses.....20 hours would tax even Job’s patience.

No car trips, please.  Anything over two hours makes me a basket case...

On 3/12/2020 at 10:38 PM, Gipper said:

I’m supposed to go to Costa Rica next month, I wonder if that will happen.

Probably not, this will be a 3-4 month thing. I feel additional restrictions are coming next week within US borders. Stock up on essentials and make sure you keep your tank is full of gas.

52 minutes ago, psaboy said:

Probably not, this will be a 3-4 month thing. I feel additional restrictions are coming next week within US borders. Stock up on essentials and make sure you keep your tank is full of gas.

Did that today.

On 3/14/2020 at 4:16 AM, Staxawax said:

Well I hate to once again be the bearer of bad news, but ALL cruise lines are halting cruises that port in the US.

Yep, booked a house in Naples for the week with a private pool... In the event they start shutting everything down (Ft Lauderdale/Miami Beaches have been closed)

This is being overblown by social media. I think taking these precautions are a good idea, but lets not go overboard. 

The first influenza pandemic was recorded in 1580, and since then, influenza pandemics occurred every 10 to 30 years.

When all is said and down, probably mid summer, it will probably be similar to the swine flu. This pandemic killed around half a million people worldwide. It caused about 12,000 deaths in the United States. I don't recall all these precautions in 2009 with Obama. In fact, the media barely covered this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, psaboy said:

This is being overblown by social media. I think taking these precautions are a good idea, but lets not go overboard. 

The first influenza pandemic was recorded in 1580, and since then, influenza pandemics occurred every 10 to 30 years.

When all is said and down, probably mid summer, it will probably be similar to the swine flu. This pandemic killed around half a million people worldwide. It caused about 12,000 deaths in the United States. I don't recall all these precautions in 2009 with Obama. In fact, the media barely covered this. 

I feel the exactly the same way  

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, 1st_and_10 said:

Yep, booked a house in Naples for the week with a private pool... In the event they start shutting everything down (Ft Lauderdale/Miami Beaches have been closed)

At this point, those beaches are only closed from the 16th to the 19th this month. I am guessing that will be extended; and I expect other beaches to do the same. I am holding out hope though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psaboy said:

The difference is those pandemics had vaccines and treatments, plus they didn't spike in a very short time. They were spread out and the healthcare industry could handle the volume. There are so many differences between those and this one. The CDC is not overreacting. People who are hoarding TP and hand sanitizer are. I have not seen one report on the media imploring people to stock up on those items because they will very soon become unavailable.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JustRules said:

The difference is those pandemics had vaccines and treatments, plus they didn't spike in a very short time. They were spread out and the healthcare industry could handle the volume. There are so many differences between those and this one. The CDC is not overreacting. People who are hoarding TP and hand sanitizer are. I have not seen one report on the media imploring people to stock up on those items because they will very soon become unavailable.

You may be missing my point. I didn't say the CDC was overreacting, I did so precautions are a good idea. And I didn't say anything about media imploring people to stock up. The constant media coverage and is leading people to go out and hoard food and essentials, IMO. I guess since most things are at a stand still they need something to report on. The biggest pandemic in modern times did not cause this massive hysteria.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, psaboy said:

You may be missing my point. I didn't say the CDC was overreacting, I did so precautions are a good idea. And I didn't say anything about media imploring people to stock up. The constant media coverage and is leading people to go out and hoard food and essentials, IMO. I guess since most things are at a stand still they need something to report on. The biggest pandemic in modern times did not cause this massive hysteria.  

The thing that many people fail to appreciate is that, when it comes to fueling hysteria, the “media” is not the bogeyman it once was. That’s because anyone with access to social media is now a member of the “media.” So even if the established news media didn’t blow something out of proportion, you can bet that the social media will. There’s no longer a meaningful distinction between news media and the public on subjects like this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bobref said:

The thing that many people fail to appreciate is that, when it comes to fueling hysteria, the “media” is not the bogeyman it once was. That’s because anyone with access to social media is now a member of the “media.” So even if the established news media didn’t blow something out of proportion, you can bet that the social media will. There’s no longer a meaningful distinction between news media and the public on subjects like this.

The media didn’t tell us to hoard toilet paper and water, but I think they knew the supply chain would be hampered.  Some media I trust, others not so much...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Yeah, I was meaning media as all inclusive; news on TV, internet, social, etc. 

13 hours ago, psaboy said:

Predictions and history are a moot point as this is a different disease with different factors contributing to decisions. Personally, I could care less what CNN or FOX has to say about this...I want to hear from the CDC and the WHO - they are the experts and they are the ones who will provide us with the facts and the direction to make us safe.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Trojan88 said:

Predictions and history are a moot point as this is a different disease with different factors contributing to decisions. Personally, I could care less what CNN or FOX has to say about this...I want to hear from the CDC and the WHO - they are the experts and they are the ones who will provide us with the facts and the direction to make us safe.

I respect your opinion. I agree that the CDC and WHO would be best provider of info. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Titan32 said:

Haven't seen it myself yet but someone came in my office and said the new CDC recommendations are 20 weeks of no school.

So can we fire off football with no summer preparation??

I would think this is including summer months. There is roughly 9 weeks of school left in most areas with spring break, then 8 or 9 weeks of summer break. So i do think there is good chance they first close it down for the year and start in mid/late August. My wife is a 4th grade teacher and it is difficult to know what will happen after the next 4 weeks. There are 3 weeks till spring break, so my girl in PHM was first told 2 weeks, but I'm hearing now the soonest will be week after spring break, 4-13. The problem with some districts don't yet have e-learning, so that will pretty much equal free pass to students that don't have, will be to hard to enforce if or if they don't do work. 

14 hours ago, psaboy said:

I would think this is including summer months. There is roughly 9 weeks of school left in most areas with spring break, then 8 or 9 weeks of summer break. So i do think there is good chance they first close it down for the year and start in mid/late August. My wife is a 4th grade teacher and it is difficult to know what will happen after the next 4 weeks. There are 3 weeks till spring break, so my girl in PHM was first told 2 weeks, but I'm hearing now the soonest will be week after spring break, 4-13. The problem with some districts don't yet have e-learning, so that will pretty much equal free pass to students that don't have, will be to hard to enforce if or if they don't do work. 

Yeah...I did not mean to imply that it wouldn't include summer break.   It looks like the CDC might just be saying...school should be closed until it's regular starting time in the Fall.  My question was....is there a way to even start football "on-time" if that were the case.

Edited by Titan32

19 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Yeah...I did not mean to imply that it wouldn't include summer break.   It looks like the CDC might just be saying...school should be closed until it's regular starting time in the Fall.  My question was....is there a way to even start football "on-time" if that were the case.

I would hope so. High school football is the best !! I'm guessing we will know more about this and the whole school situation before the end of week of 4-5.