Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Corona and spring sports

3 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

I concur. I am seeing and reading projections that the US will peak with COVID 19 cases anywhere from the end of April to June/July. Is this accurate?  I don’t know. But even at the start of that range, I don’t see spring sports this year. I hope this isn’t the case. I feel bad for kids, especially seniors. I guess it all boils down to the rate this virus cannot sustain in this country and beyond. 

I have not seen that, but the problem is that there are so many sources of information out there.  It seems like, from what I remember of looking at a graph of cases reportd in China, that they peaked around 3-4 weeks after their first cases.  If that were the case, you are looking at the US peaking near the beginning of April to the middle of April.  That said, I don't know what our response here in the US has been as compared to China, quality of healthcare systems, susceptability of the population, etc. so that may be, and probably is, wishful thinking.

I did see where the Wuhan province only had one new reported case yesterday, so that would appear to be good.  I also heard some speculation that cases could surge again around October just based on climate.  The long and the short is that it appears as through this year's Seniors (high school and college) are going to get drastically shortchanged on their experience.  It just goes to show, as I think someone else on these boards pointed out, you can't take anything for granted.

2 hours ago, coachkj said:

I can see nothing but tournaments for spring sports.  If that.

Maybe this was the secret of the all-in, random draw process the IHSAA has used for years. We don't need a regular season to determine anything! Kudos to them for their foresight.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

Again...really hope what I've seen is wrong.  China took some hard line actions of shelter in place.....which is what just happened yesterday in the San Fran area.  Will we do that as a nation?  Not sure.  Their tolerance for non-compliance is a little bit different than in the US...unless that changes in the short term.

Wow...I sure hope we don't see cases surge again in the fall...I agree with you 100% about senior getting shortchanged....it is a shame.  I believe Butler and ISU announced today no live commencements for graduating seniors.  

Purdue just cancelled their in-person graduation, but will seemingly offer a virtual ceremony.  They are offering for spring grads to return to be recognized at a future ceremony.

3 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

China took some hard line actions of shelter in place.....which is what just happened yesterday in the San Fran area.  Will we do that as a nation?  Not sure.  Their tolerance for non-compliance is a little bit different than in the US...unless that changes in the short term.

Shelter in place would seem to me at this point here in the US to be what it is currently; localized and focused primarily on urban areas.  National shelter in place would only work if you had some sort of martial law, which I would say is out of the question, but a week ago I was preparing for track season and had only paid passing attention to this virus thing so...

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2020/03/19/ihsaa-changes-spring-sport-practice-requirements/2879017001/

Someone with more knowledge than me will have to educate us on Bylaw 15-2.  

The IHSAA announced spring sports teams will also revert to IHSAA By-Law 15-2 for in-season athletes, which states that students may participate in team sport practices and contests as members of a non-school team without compromising their eligibility. 

Does that mean club volleyball and soccer teams can resume their weekend tournaments in Atlanta, St. Louis, Orlando, and so on? That would be great for HS athletes. (sarcasm)

Edited by oldtimeqb
  • Like 2

On 3/20/2020 at 12:40 AM, oldtimeqb said:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2020/03/19/ihsaa-changes-spring-sport-practice-requirements/2879017001/

Someone with more knowledge than me will have to educate us on Bylaw 15-2.  

Does that mean club volleyball and soccer teams can resume their weekend tournaments in Atlanta, St. Louis, Orlando, and so on? That would be great for HS athletes. (sarcasm)

It basically means that all athletes are being treated as "in school out of season". So limited contact as permitted by local corporations but they are able to participate with club teams and private instructors. I'm not aware of any travel organization that is having tournaments anywhere in the country right now. What shocked me was to caveat that if they can resume May 1, cutting the number of practices from 10 to 5, I never thought they would waiver on that number. 

In all fairness to the IHSAA I think they are doing everything in their power to have a spring sports season. Hats of too them for being flexible, holding out hope, and trying to salvage something out of the spring season. At this point I think it's a foregone conclusion spring sports aren't happening. Breaks my heart for all the seniors. All the preparation that has already been put in by the coaches, athletes, and officials, but as the old adage goes, play every game like it's your last, because it could be. 

Edited by Impartial_Observer
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

It's official...

April 2, 2020

IHSAA Spring Sports Officially Cancelled

The Indiana High School Athletic Association staunchly supports our Governor, our State Commissioner of Health and our State Superintendent of Public Instruction in their herculean efforts during the COVID-19 pandemic. We are extremely fortunate in Indiana to have these exemplary leaders providing guidance and care to all Hoosiers.

With the announcement today of the closure of K-12 schools throughout Indiana for the remainder of the school year, the IHSAA announces the cancellation of all spring sports tournament series events for the 2019- 20 school year.

It is imperative that our students, coaches, officials, administrators and parents be encouraged in every manner to adhere to the guidance provided by our leadership. The Association understands the extreme seriousness of this pandemic and joins in support of current measures being implemented as well as future considerations. In unwavering support yet with extreme sadness, we must cancel our spring sports programming. We join all Hoosiers in anticipation of a triumphant homecoming back to our schools in the fall of 2020 complete with a full complement of IHSAA sports.

The Association continues to remind its member schools and the general public to follow the guidance of the governor and the Indiana State Department of Health via IN.gov/coronavirus.

Completely agree TojanDad.  We, as a track staff, had held out hope but in retrospect, it seems as if this was a foregone conclusion 3-4 weeks ago.  Definitely feel for our Seniors.  We had 9 between the boys and girls teams which for a school with a total population of roughly 185 in 4 grades is pretty outstanding.  And they were a great group of kids too, gonna miss them...

• Like 1

Flattening the curve means that they wish to slow down the rate...which means it will be around longer.

Let's say that summer school is canceled in buildings and"normal" activity can't occur until August 1.  When could you realistically start the season.

You can't assume your players have been staying in shape.

2 hours ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

Flattening the curve means that they wish to slow down the rate...which means it will be around longer.

Let's say that summer school is canceled in buildings and"normal" activity can't occur until August 1.  When could you realistically start the season.

Since the regular season is just exhibition games anyway, why not just start with the tournament ?

Potentially, this could hurt all football, not just high school.  If the colleges don’t have meaningful practices my mid-June, I don’t think they’ll be game ready the traditional season start.  The NFL won’t be their normal polished selves  either.

16 hours ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

Honestly, for some smaller rural schools this is nothing new.

Trojandad, thank you very much, I really appreciate it. I tell my students all the time, most of us educators are not in it for the money, we really do love our jobs and love the kids we work with, even if some of them can be a little difficult at times.

On 3/17/2020 at 10:41 AM, wabashalwaysfights said:

I did see where the Wuhan province only had one new reported case yesterday, so that would appear to be good.  

If you believe ANY news out of China I've got some prime land in Florida I'll sell you at a really good price!