Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Corona Could Lead to Contraction Acceleration

Guest DT

Given the massive disruptions caused at all levels by the Corona virus, I would not be surprised to see several "programs on the brink" succumb to the contraction initiative as we enter a period of consolidation and austerity.

Recession is coming and the impact on high school sports will be more evident than it was in years past.  All across the country, we will see consolidations and closings occurring at multiple levels throughout every facet of American business and cultural life.  

Maintaining resource consuming programs will no longer be prudent and admins will begin to pull the plug at an ever increasing pace.

6 hours ago, DT said:

Given the massive disruptions caused at all levels by the Corona virus, I would not be surprised to see several "programs on the brink" succumb to the contraction initiative as we enter a period of consolidation and austerity.

Recession is coming and the impact on high school sports will be more evident than it was in years past.  All across the country, we will see consolidations and closings occurring at multiple levels throughout every facet of American business and cultural life.  

Maintaining resource consuming programs will no longer be prudent and admins will begin to pull the plug at an ever increasing pace.

Might happen, might not.  No one knows for sure, not even you.

6 hours ago, DT said:

This flu strain will cause a lot of changes in society; business, finance education, health care etc. Their will be contraction in a lot of things. 

9 minutes ago, psaboy said:

This flu strain will cause a lot of changes in society; business, finance education, health care etc. Their will be contraction in a lot of things. 

Although I agree that certain things in our society will be curtailed, reduced, and eliminated, I doubt high school athletics will be the first target.

Then again, might happen or it might not.

5 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Although I agree that certain things in our society will be curtailed, reduced, and eliminated, I doubt high school athletics will be the first target.

Then again, might happen or it might not.

Ha, yes. High school sports contraction will not be high on the list. I will say, maybe some of the "lesser" sports could be targeted. I would think football, basketball and baseball would be the last to go. Public schools will continue to face financial challenges for years to come, especially if Indiana follows and continue on with the Daniels/Bennett & Pence model.

3 minutes ago, psaboy said:

Ha, yes. High school sports contraction will not be high on the list. I will say, maybe some of the "lesser" sports could be targeted. I would think football, basketball and baseball would be the last to go. Public schools will continue to face financial challenges for years to come, especially if Indiana follows and continue on with the Daniels/Bennett & Pence model.

Exactly!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, psaboy said:

Public schools will continue to face financial challenges for years to come, especially if Indiana follows and continue on with the Daniels/Bennett & Pence model.

So in other words you believe government schools should receive a huge boost in funding, and that government school teachers should receive a huge boost in salaries.   

• Disdain 3

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

So in other words you believe government schools should receive a huge boost in funding, and that government school teachers should receive a huge boost in salaries.   

I'm saying the public school systems should have full support from the state and federal level.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, psaboy said:

I'm saying the public school systems should have full support from the state and federal level.

That is a somewhat vague statement. 

And the federal government frankly has no business being involved in education.  The U.S. Dept. of Education is an unconstitutional entity.

• Disdain 4

28 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

And the federal government frankly has no business being involved in education.  The U.S. Dept. of Education is an unconstitutional entity.

With that logic, wouldn’t that make the entire government unconstitutional?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gipper said:

With that logic, wouldn’t that make the entire government unconstitutional?

No. I don't understand how in the world you came to that "logical" conclusion. Please educate yourself on the function and purpose of the U.S. Constition.

• Disdain 3

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

Well, then you please tell Michelle to retract her "7 Education Initiatives" 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, psaboy said:

Why should not teachers get higher salaries?  Professors at state universities make lots of money...

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Some of my teachers had been there for well over 20 years, yet they make $35k (merely guessing) per year—not right.

Sound like maybe they chose the wrong profession, if the money if that important to them.

• Disdain 1