Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Colts 2020

Muda69

Colts part with coveted pick to obtain DL DeForest Buckner from 49ers: https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/colts-insider/2020/03/16/colts-make-major-splash-trade-first-round-pick-deforest-buckner/5062470002/

On what will be remembered as a historic Monday afternoon in Indianapolis Colts history, Chris Ballard fed his “obsession” and addressed a major team need. Saying earlier this offseason that he was consumed by a need to upgrade the Colts defensive front, the fourth-year general manager went out into the trade market and made a blockbuster deal for 49ers star DeForest Buckner, then signing him to a five-year contract extension worth $21 million annually, according to a league source. 

The cost was steep. Beyond the price tag -- which sees Buckner become the second-highest paid defensive tackle in the game behind only Aaron Donald -- going back to San Francisco is the Colts’ first-round pick (No. 13 overall) in the upcoming NFL Draft. However, the Colts were unlikely to find a player in the draft -- even at that spot -- who could immediately impact the defense the way Buckner will.

Time of course will tell but this looks to be a smart move by Mr. Ballard.

Next up in free agency:  A quarterback?

Time will tell on Rivers. It's only a one-year deal so if he doesn't work out they can cut him loose pretty quickly. It's a fairly calculated gamble. Hopefully they keep Brissett and go back to him if Rivers doesn't pan out. He's not a great quarterback, but he's still young and athletic and could probably be pretty good if surrounded by the right talent.

It isn't just the Buckner and Rivers signings, they also signed AC to another 2 year contract.  That means Rivers will be playing behind one of the best O lines in the NFL.  I wouldn't make too much about the year Rivers had last year.  He played behind a crappy O line.  Look at the last 5 years and you'll see he's been one of the best.  Yes, Father Time catches up to all of us and he isn't the same player he was 8 - 10 years ago.  But I believe with this line and the scheme he will play in this year, will tell us IF he is really washed up or not.  If he has a second "bad" year, then we'll  know.  But as someone pointed out, he's on a one year deal so the Colts can walk away.  I have a feeling the Colts are going to make the playoffs and Rivers will get a one year extension.  One thing is for sure, Rivers will chuck it deep.  We didn't get that with Brissett.  I see the Colts drafting a QB this year to sit behind Rivers.  Personally, I am hoping it is Jalen Hurts.  I've been seeing a lot people wanting the Colts to draft Love (Utah State), but Hurts is faster (40 time in the combine) and can run the RPO just as well.  Plus Hurts has played for 2 big time programs in Alabama and Oklahoma.  He's played in plenty of big games and won a National Championship at 'Bama.  So in that regard, I feel he will be better prepared to transition to the NFL than a lot of the other QB's in the draft.  I didn't quite get cutting Desir.  But with Ballard, who knows?  No one saw the Buckner signing coming.

14 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

It isn't just the Buckner and Rivers signings, they also signed AC to another 2 year contract.  That means Rivers will be playing behind one of the best O lines in the NFL.  I wouldn't make too much about the year Rivers had last year.  He played behind a crappy O line.  Look at the last 5 years and you'll see he's been one of the best.  Yes, Father Time catches up to all of us and he isn't the same player he was 8 - 10 years ago.  But I believe with this line and the scheme he will play in this year, will tell us IF he is really washed up or not.  If he has a second "bad" year, then we'll  know.  But as someone pointed out, he's on a one year deal so the Colts can walk away.  I have a feeling the Colts are going to make the playoffs and Rivers will get a one year extension.  One thing is for sure, Rivers will chuck it deep.  We didn't get that with Brissett.  I see the Colts drafting a QB this year to sit behind Rivers.  Personally, I am hoping it is Jalen Hurts.  I've been seeing a lot people wanting the Colts to draft Love (Utah State), but Hurts is faster (40 time in the combine) and can run the RPO just as well.  Plus Hurts has played for 2 big time programs in Alabama and Oklahoma.  He's played in plenty of big games and won a National Championship at 'Bama.  So in that regard, I feel he will be better prepared to transition to the NFL than a lot of the other QB's in the draft.  I didn't quite get cutting Desir.  But with Ballard, who knows?  No one saw the Buckner signing coming.

Desir was cut because he was a bit of a one hit wonder. He was a replacement level journeyman for several years who was cut a handful of times. He then got a chance in Indy and played well as a solid starter, so he was signed to a big contract. He then regressed last year, possibly due to injuries. I'm thinking that the staff must really believe in a younger guy like Ya-Sin to cut Desir.

15 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

Plus, I think he was a big cap hit...didn't they save something like $7M against the cap by letting him go?

The Colts saved 6.85 million in cap money by cutting Desir (zero dead cap money).  Have seen rumors that they are wanting more cap money to sign other free agents.  One of them is rumored to be Clowney.  I really hope not.  He is over hyped and expects to be paid too much money.  Plus he gets a lot of off sides called against him.  Was hoping they might sign Anderson WR from the Jets but he just signed with the Panthers and got 20 million over 2 years.   Have a suspicion the Colts might look at a couple of guys in the XFL.  Hoping they might check out a TE named Donald Parham since the Colts could use another TE.  They have Doyle and Mo Allie Cox and that's about it.  Parham played on the Houston Roughnecks in the XFL.  Dude is 6 ft 8 in tall and 240 pounds.  He was the top TE in the XFL.  In 5 games he had 34 catches for 300+ yards and 4 TD's.  The TD total was tied for 3rd in the entire league.  The second closest TE to him in yards had 170 less than Parham.   Saw some highlights of him.  He looks promising.  Oh and he is only 22.  Doesn't turn 23 until August.

11 hours ago, Warren05 said:

Colts have just signed Sheldon Day. 

Saw that on NFL.com.  Good depth signing.  Several good reasons:  He played with Buckner last year on the 49ers, he played at Notre Dame with Nelson,  he is a Warren Central grad so there is that homecoming factor.  Wonder if Buckner had anything to do with this signing?  Haven't seen any contract details yet, but the film I saw on him he looks really athletic.  Something that the Colts like in their defensive players.  

The Colts signed Xavier Rhodes, CB from the Minnesota Vikings.  The deal is reportedly a one year deal worth about 5 mil.  This signing saves the Colts about 1.85 mil in cap money since they saved 6.85 mil when they cut Desir.  Rhodes hasn't been that good the past couple of years but before that he was a 3 time pro bowler and he's dealt with injuries.  Maybe a change of scenery and schemes will revive his play.  At any rate, he's a vet CB to work with the  2 young guys.  If he doesn't work out, the Colts can just walk away.  Another good deal by Ballard.

• 3 weeks later...

The Colts have signed veteran fullback Roosevelt Nix.  One year deal but no details yet.  This is a good signing.  The running game should now be improved and he'll come in handy in short yardage situations especially at the goal line.  He was All Pro in 2017 with the Steelers.  He's also very good on special teams.  Dude weighs 243 pounds.  Me likey.

Several pundits are saying the Colts are the most improved team in the league after free agency.  With all of the signings they have had, it's no wonder.  They have signed quite a few of their own FA's besides the ones from other teams.  Several needs have been met and depth has been addressed.  I expect the draft to be offensive heavy this year.  Probably see a couple of WR's and maybe a TE.  I really like Pittman and Claypool.  Although Claypool is a WR he has a TE body.  He could be moved to TE quite easily.  

• 2 weeks later...

Second round of the draft tonight.  Now the draft starts for the Colts.  Unless they do a trade, they have picks 34, 44, and 75 in these next 2 rounds.  With all of the quality players left, they should get a couple of starters out of it.  I'd like to see 2 WR's get taken.  Personally I like Pittman and Claypool.  Both big guys and great targets for Rivers.  Claypool is a WR with a TE body so he could play all over the field.  Also like Hurts for a QB selection.  Wouldn't be unhappy with Cleveland or Houston for a tackle either.  Also like WInfield at Safety.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Second round of the draft tonight.  Now the draft starts for the Colts.  Unless they do a trade, they have picks 34, 44, and 75 in these next 2 rounds.  With all of the quality players left, they should get a couple of starters out of it.  I'd like to see 2 WR's get taken.  Personally I like Pittman and Claypool.  Both big guys and great targets for Rivers.  Claypool is a WR with a TE body so he could play all over the field.  Also like Hurts for a QB selection.  Wouldn't be unhappy with Cleveland or Houston for a tackle either.  Also like WInfield at Safety.

Tee Higgins. 

I am disappointed in our round three selection.  A guy coming off an ACL is not exactly a great pick.  Only time will tell, but it is often said that players never get that spark back after that type of injury.  Just too many questions for that early in the draft.  Really wanted the receiver out of Texas at that point.  Scratching my head on the deal.  We also could have improved the OL at 75 or even 85.  With the amount of talent that was still there in the 2nd round, I would have tried to move into round two for as many picks as I could get.  

On 4/28/2020 at 10:36 AM, Coach Nowlin said:

Eddie Jackson was picked by the Bears in the 4th round from Alabama coming off losing SR due to knee injury....  

He is working out alright  

I'm a fan of using later round picks on first or second round talents. Jaylon Smith (2nd round) and Marcus Cannon (5th round) are good examples of players who persevered.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2020 at 11:39 AM, Punttheball said:

I am disappointed in our round three selection.  A guy coming off an ACL is not exactly a great pick.  Only time will tell, but it is often said that players never get that spark back after that type of injury.  Just too many questions for that early in the draft.  Really wanted the receiver out of Texas at that point.  Scratching my head on the deal.  We also could have improved the OL at 75 or even 85.  With the amount of talent that was still there in the 2nd round, I would have tried to move into round two for as many picks as I could get.  

I found that pick interesting as well as the Eason pick. Everything the team had been doing this off season seemed to be geared towards winning now, but then you take 2 guys in those rounds that most likely won't play a snap this season. Or at least not until pretty late in the year. IMO the 3rd round is still a time where you should be getting a player who will be expected to be on the field for at least 50% of your snaps on the season for their side of the ball. 

I don't mind the Eason pick as much because he had fell a little and was probably worth a little more due to his potential. Really like the Pinter selection at 149 however, should be good value and a guy that can rotate around positions up front as needed. 

On 4/28/2020 at 10:36 AM, Coach Nowlin said:

Eddie Jackson was picked by the Bears in the 4th round from Alabama coming off losing SR due to knee injury....  

He is working out alright  

I feel that there is a difference between a 3rd round reach and a 4th round reach. A 3rd rounder at that point could be a real contributor early.  I'm not sure that the Colts could have found that kid still sitting their in the 5th round.  It is all just blow right now, as it will take several years to all play out.  

I am not shocked by the pick though.  The Colts obviously are not happy with the development of Malik Hooker.  

I see it as teams look at a player who they have 1st round to 2nd round talent that falls to the 3rd and 4th round as an opportunity to take the talent over the injury 

just like teams will take the talent over the potential red flags of the player.   

See Tryann Mathieu .......    as just 1 over countless examples  where NFL front offices says  Give me the TALENT, forget about the red flags medially or otherwise 

• 2 weeks later...

On paper, it looks like the AFC South will be a fight between the Colts and the Titans.  O'Brien has trashed the Texans and Jacksonville really hasn't done much to improve in the off season.  The Colts have an easier schedule than most this year, so they look to be set up for double digit wins.  As I see it their 3 toughest games are:  the Vikings, the Packers, and the Ravens.  However all 3 games are at home so there's that.  They do have the Steelers late in the year (on the road) who usually has their number especially in Pittsburgh.  All things being equal I see the Colts with a minimum of 10 wins.

5 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

On paper, it looks like the AFC South will be a fight between the Colts and the Titans.  O'Brien has trashed the Texans and Jacksonville really hasn't done much to improve in the off season.  The Colts have an easier schedule than most this year, so they look to be set up for double digit wins.  As I see it their 3 toughest games are:  the Vikings, the Packers, and the Ravens.  However all 3 games are at home so there's that.  They do have the Steelers late in the year (on the road) who usually has their number especially in Pittsburgh.  All things being equal I see the Colts with a minimum of 10 wins.

Agreed. If they can't win 10 games with that schedule, regardless of who is at QB, they need to clean house and try again. 

Houston will still be in the mix for the division. Hopkins is a great player but Stills, Cooks, Fuller, and Cobb will be enough to help Watson score points, not to mention a still improving O Line and running game. Defense will be the biggest question for them, and bouncing back from the collapse in Kansas City. 

I am expecting Tennessee to take a bigger step back than Houston. Jacksonville is tanking and looking to lose 13-14 games.