Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Dan Dakich under investigation for comments on Scottsburg basketball coach firing

Muda69

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2020/03/20/emmis-investigating-dan-dakichs-comments-scottsburg-coach-firing/2881793001/

Dan Dakich went on a 5-minute rant on his radio show Wednesday, lambasting the firing of Scottsburg High's basketball coach, calling a player a "methhead," urging listeners to go "take a dump" in Scottsburg and threatening, "I may just drive down there and beat the hell out of every school board member."

The tirade, including Dakich saying Scottsburg is a town full of "meth and AIDS and needles” set off a string of emails and calls from residents to WFNI The Fan, where his noon to 3 p.m. "The Dan Dakich Show" airs.

On Friday, Dakich's employer told The IndyStar it "is aware of the statements made by Dan Dakich earlier this week and we continue to investigate the issue." 

Emmis Communications, which owns ESPN affiliate WFNI The Fan, went on to say in a statement that, "Dan apologized (Thursday) to his listeners who were offended by his comments and passionate opinions about the situation. Listeners tune in to Dan's weekday show for his strong views and frank manner. When we hear from our listeners who have been offended by Dan's opinions, we take those matters seriously."

The subject of Dakich's controversial dialogue involved the firing of Scottsburg varsity coach Brent Jameson. At a Wednesday meeting, the Scottsburg school board voted not to renew his contract. Jameson was 41-57 in four seasons and had led the Warriors to back-to-back winning seasons for the first time since 2005-07.

Jameson, 35, told IndyStar's High School Insider Kyle Neddenriep that he was blindsided by the decision. 

“In four years, I haven’t had a single negative review,” he said. “It has been nothing but positive support from my athletic director.”

"Scottsburg, (are) you complete idiots? Like are you just that fricking stupid, Scottsburg, Indiana? Can we please not fire a coach who has been great for the community," Dakich said on the air. "I mean what is wrong with you people in Scottsburg, Indiana? I mean are you that hillbilly?"

Dakich poked fun at the city in Scott County 30 miles north of Louisville, imitating its residents in twangy accents with improper English and calling it a "hilljack world." Then in the same voice, he criticized the school board for firing a coach with a winning record.

He implied that a school board member was an angry parent of a son who didn't get enough playing time.

"Let me guess, some jack--- of a board member has a kid on the team at Scottsburg that didn't get to play enough," he said. "Shut the living hell up Scottsburg, Indiana. Shut the whole damn town down. Hey jack---, I may just drive down there and beat the hell out of every school board member."  

He went on say that whichever boy on the team didn't get to play, "Your boy's a methhead. He's a pain in the (expletive deleted)."

Dakich also started laughing as he came up with a new motto. 

"Take a dump in Scottsburg should be our new thing. My god, how stupid. Somebody send me a picture of this school board, these idiots in Scottsburg," he said. "Take a dump in Scottsburg should be the new motto."

He explained why he does the show. "That's why I'm on this earth," Dakich said. "I'm on this earth because we must call dumb(expletive deleted) out.

Anybody familiar with the firing of Mr. Jameson like to comment on the situation and Mr. Dakich's insinuation?  

Sounds like Mr. Dakich won't be invited to court side seats at a Scottsburg basketball game anytime soon...................

• Haha 1

On 3/20/2020 at 2:32 PM, Muda69 said:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2020/03/20/emmis-investigating-dan-dakichs-comments-scottsburg-coach-firing/2881793001/

Anybody familiar with the firing of Mr. Jameson like to comment on the situation and Mr. Dakich's insinuation?  

Sounds like Mr. Dakich won't be invited to court side seats at a Scottsburg basketball game anytime soon...................

Well done Dan.  You da man!

20 hours ago, DT said:

Well done Dan.  You da man!

Da man?  More like da joke...

What he said was unacceptable.   I feel sorry for residents of the town he was speaking against.  He doesn’t have the right.

Edited by Gipper
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Gipper said:

What he said was unacceptable.   I feel sorry for residents of the town he was speaking against.  He doesn’t have the right.

Free speech, my friend.  Free speech.

Note that I did not say there shouldn't be consequences to this particular free speech.  That remains to be seen.

• Kill me now 1

No repercussions from  Mr. Dakich's employer, after all he did apologize:  https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/2020/03/24/what-dan-dakich-said-stupid-but-not-actionable-experts-say/2912013001/

The controversial statements Dan Dakich made on his radio show last week, calling a high school player a "methhead" and saying Scottsburg was a city filled with "meth and AIDS and needles" were intolerant to some listeners and residents of Scottsburg. But what he said isn't likely illegal or a fireable offense, according to communications experts.

Dakich's employer at ESPN affiliate WFNI The Fan seemingly came to the same conclusion. After launching an investigation into Dakich's comments last week, Emmis Communications told the IndyStar on Tuesday it will say no more on the issue.

"Emmis does not intend to comment further publicly on the matter following our prior statement to the Star and Dan's on-air apology last week," the company said. When asked if that means the investigation is closed, Emmis responded, "it means Emmis has no further public comment on it."

• 1 year later...
On 3/24/2020 at 4:01 PM, Gipper said:

Yes, Da Man.. Scott County is an aids infested dump… take it anyway your little hurt feelings wants… They could just eliminate Scott County and Indiana would be a better state. 

On 3/24/2020 at 7:51 PM, CoachSnyder said:

Free speech is free speech.  Just be willing to live with the consequences of your decisions is what I also told students at school and my kids.  

Free speech is free speech. But because you have the right to say something, doesn’t mean you should. There is such a thing as professionalism and decorum. A potty mouth is often a sign of a weak intellect, unable to muster effective arguments, and substituting with shock language instead. Good for Dakich for standing up for a high school coach. But the value of his message is lost in the furor over how he delivered it, defeating the purpose. He’s basically a self-indulgent jerk.

• Thanks 1