Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Small Businesses Need to Contract

Guest DT

1 hour ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Clearly not the point of his post.

Life is not a zero sum game. Success is defined differently by pretty much everyone. 

And like I said the world isn't fair, it never will be.  Therefore not everyone will reach the level of "success" they may personally reach to attain.

• Disdain 2
  • Kill me now 1

16 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

And like I said the world isn't fair, it never will be.  Therefore not everyone will reach the level of "success" they may personally reach to attain.

Who here has said the world is fair? 

What's wrong with wishing people success? 

Why do you continually want to manipulate people's words?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

That is the obvious and logical implication from the blanket and utopian statement "Life is better when we’re all successful."  

6 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Whoever accused me of not wishing people success?

6 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I'm not. 

Has the business you currently own contracted due to the coronavirus scare?

• Disdain 4

59 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

The world isn’t fair.  So what?  It was here first and doesn’t have to be.  I wish IO, Dante, Coach Hanson, Robert, and everyone else success!   I’d rather be positively annoying than destructively negative as that has already been taken be a couple of posters in this free speech vehicle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gipper said:

The world isn’t fair.  So what?  It was here first and doesn’t have to be.  I wish IO, Dante, Coach Hanson, Robert, and everyone else success!   I’d rather be positively annoying than destructively negative as that has already been taken be a couple of posters in this free speech vehicle.

Irishman, lots of success for that one...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Gipper said:

I'm having the time of my life right now 🙂

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

LOL.....one negative vote already....shocking.  Guess the topic of exploring impact to small business economics was too adult for some...or one.........😆

image.png.b9d6113d68999b6426642519da85d4e5.png

You raise good points, but small businesses will always be needed.  I just pointed out a few heavyweights that at one time...

wait for it...

were small businesses!!!

7 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

Without making this personal, it is an interesting question about the impact longer-term on COVID 19 and small business.  We all know its tough for a small business to make it in the best of times.  The data is out there on success/survival rates.  (using the work success in lieu of failure to remain positive)  The chart I attached has age on it, but I think it is still fairly representative.

Closer to home, a great local restaurant Roscoe's Taco's (actually has 3 locations...Greenwood, Franklin and Indy) is closing up shop for good.  COVID 19 was the final straw after 20 years of facing other challenges.  I love that place and really hate to see this happen...great place for the community.  So, I do think DT's post (maybe not the way I would have worded it) does raise an interesting question.  What impact will COVID 19 have on small business both in the short and long term?

https://www.wishtv.com/news/local-news/roscoes-tacos-permanently-closes-all-restaurant-locations-amid-coronavirus/

https://www.fundera.com/blog/what-percentage-of-small-businesses-fail

image.png.cc8f7cea706aa8f595ca8297f0b7fbaf.png

I'd conjecture it will be big businesses too.

This thing with small businesses happened just recently in West Lafayette a few years back when they shut down South Street by the campus to do a road change for the infrastructure.  Vonn's Dough Shop closed as did a gas station that was on a corner where one of the new high rises exists now.  They claims that having that street closed for most of the summer made it non-viable for them to continue.  I think there were a couple other businesses that relocated or folder along that corridor as well at the time.

Edited by foxbat