Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Best HS Football Team in Indiana History?

North Judson I believe had either 10 or 11 shutouts in the late 70's.  Also, the Lafayette Central Catholic Team of 1969 was an OUTSTANDING team.  Undefeated.  When we played them we were 6 and 0 and they were the same.  It was the big game of the year in Lafayette area.  They kicked our butts.  Lawrenceburg teams of the 80s under Glenn Crocker were also outstanding teams.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

What was Reitz’s strength of schedule?

Sep. 8 Crawfordsville W 53-0
Sep. 16 Muncie Central W 66-0
Sep. 22 Mater Dei * W 42-0
Sep. 30 @ New Albany * W 26-0
Oct. 13 @ Central * W 21-0
Oct. 21 Bloomington * W 46-0
Oct. 27 @ North * W 26-0
Nov. 4 Memorial * W 33-0
Nov. 10 Bosse * W 55-0

7 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

What was Reitz’s strength of schedule?

I'm less concerned about Reitz's schedule than the question - how many passes did their opponents attempt?

I understand these discussions are all in fun, I just wonder how much stock you can put into the 'unscored' upon claim.  And this isn't a knock on 1961 Reitz, 1918 Kentland, or any of the other 9.  When the game was played 53 feet wide (hash to hash) instead of 53 1/3 yards wide, it is tough to compare. 

If we are discussing which team would win a matchup head to head or it could be which team was most dominant against its opposition.  I feel like those are always two different questions. 

11 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

I understand these discussions are all in fun, I just wonder how much stock you can put into the 'unscored' upon claim.  And this isn't a knock on 1961 Reitz, 1918 Kentland, or any of the other 9.  When the game was played 53 feet wide (hash to hash) instead of 53 1/3 yards wide, it is tough to compare. 

It’s actually 53-1/3 ft. from hash to hash. That 4” could make a difference. 😂

• Haha 1

I have to throw in a Cathedral team or two in this discussion. I played against the Stephen Holman-led 1991 Ben Davis team. They were certainly stout beating us by 30 and we were State Runners Up in 3A that year. Their O-Line was nasty, but Holman was a freak. 

That said, the 1999-2000 Cathedral team would have given them all they could handle. 7 - Division1 Players and two long-time NFL veterans in Jeremy Trueblood (OL Tampa Bay) and Mathias Kiwanuka (LB/DE NY Giants). It was certainly the deepest offensive line in Indiana history. 5 of the O-linemen went D1 if you include Kiwanuka at TE. Obviously Otis Shannon held the state rushing record for a decade or two. This team won the state title 3 years in a row. Pretty impressive group. 

When the NY Giants came to Indy for the Super Bowl, this Cathedral team and the O-Line got to reunite with Kiwanuka and Trueblood for an epic reunion downtown early in Super Bowl week. Great memories. Great night. Great team!  

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

It’s actually 53-1/3 ft. from hash to hash. That 4” could make a difference. 😂

In the words of Michael Scott ‘That’s what she said.’ Lol

I liked the alliteration of 53 feet vs 53 yards, but realized that left me a foot short. I corrected one but not the other. But you’re right, it could make a difference. Game of inches.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, CoachSnyder said:

If memory serves me correct from the IFCA to the IHSAA there have been 11 schools that had seasons of no point allowed.  Including 1918 Kentland.  Just thought I would throw that out.

Did that transition into South Newton?

19 hours ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

How about South Bend Washington from 1973 and Mishawaka Marian from 1973 and 1974

Didn't Marian petition to move up two classes after they won the 1973 state championship?

22 hours ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

How about South Bend Washington from 1973 and Mishawaka Marian from 1973 and 1974

Out of curiosity how many teams played football in 1973, and how many teams made the playoffs? It’s a bit before my time but I always heard how good those Marian teams were. I think John Ferretti (spelling way off) played on one of those teams and was my vice principal growing up.

On 3/27/2020 at 12:53 PM, CoachSnyder said:

If memory serves me correct from the IFCA to the IHSAA there have been 11 schools that had seasons of no point allowed.  Including 1918 Kentland.  Just thought I would throw that out.

Kentland was a major part of the consolidation into South Newton you know—talk about cyclical!!!

I rest my case.

On 3/28/2020 at 2:50 PM, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Out of curiosity how many teams played football in 1973, and how many teams made the playoffs? It’s a bit before my time but I always heard how good those Marian teams were. I think John Ferretti (spelling way off) played on one of those teams and was my vice principal growing up.

in 1973, the IHSAA began a playoff system. A points system was used to qualify for the playoffs, but with only twelve schools advancing (four teams in three classes), many one-loss and even undefeated teams never got the chance to play for a state title.

Even though the playoffs were doubled to 24 teams in 1976 and again to 48 in 1981, the system still needed some tweaking. This came in the form of the clusters in 1983. Every team in the state was put into groups of four to six teams...whichever won their cluster advanced to the postseason. Now every team had a shot. It made sense. But there were some flaws to this method, also.

The major drawback was that a team could win their cluster with a 4-0 record, yet finish 4-6 overall and make the playoffs, while a team that finished second in the cluster at 3-1 could finish 9-1 overall, but be left out in the cold.

On Twitter, we're going to start a virtual tournament (fan vote) to find out who is Indiana's Best HS Football Team the last 20 years (since 2000). Comment who should be in the field of 16 teams. 
Any 03-06 Warren? 17 Ben Davis? 01 Ben Davis? 07 Reitz? 00 Heritage Hills? 02 Chatard?

6 hours ago, Indiana Preps said:

On Twitter, we're going to start a virtual tournament (fan vote) to find out who is Indiana's Best HS Football Team the last 20 years (since 2000). Comment who should be in the field of 16 teams. 
Any 03-06 Warren? 17 Ben Davis? 01 Ben Davis? 07 Reitz? 00 Heritage Hills? 02 Chatard?

18 Warren? George, Romeir, and Bell, were pretty special. 

Any dominant New Pal teams we wanna throw in there as well? 

Any of the 2010-2013 Cathedral teams? 

2018 West Lafayette?

2014 RC team (earn some brownie points w/Coach Nowlin and Meeks.)

2009-2011 LCC teams? 

Some of y'all would be able to give better insight than I.