Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Date When Covid-19 Impacts 2020 Season

With Week 1 of 2020 season set for August 21, what is the date when the season will be impacted?  By impacted, I mean delay to season, modified schedule (conference games only), cancellation, etc?

I'm not a coach and don't know all of the mandatory practice requirements, etc to begin a season but I would believe that the date would be tied to this requirement i.e. 21 days of practices required. 8/21 start of season therefore, 7/31-8/1 would be the key date.

IHSAA deems Summer completely voluntary activity.  

So July 31st, that Monday is the date to keep in mind:  If all systems go then season goes in as is, maybe with less summer time to prepare, but again, IHSAA looks at that completely separate.  

If schools/state still are closed up for on site participation by July 31st then you can see some issues to come around.    You need 10 practices (1 a day) to participate in any game, among other stuff, but as far as 21 practices, that is just how much time is in between day 1 of official season to week 1 game.    With Scrimmage/Jamboree 14 days after start of season. 

I think everything is a wait and see approach across the state.   Next benchmark will be May 1st.   Then ............  

I agree that the next benchmark is May 1st. I think it will be at least two weeks at a time for decisions to come down. While the IHSAA views the Summer as voluntary, I would expect this to impact the month of June. I see an adjustment to the number of workouts and practices reduced. 

This is really getting out of control!  I know it’s a pandemic and the best course of action is to isolate, I just hope this isn’t our new normal.   We’ve gone about a month with no sports, but how long is this going to continue?  

Contrary to what you read and see on tv, no one really knows. We are in uncharted waters with this thing. Unfortunately, I think there is strong possibility there will be no Fall sports in 2020. President Trump extending quaruntine to the end of April not a good sign. When it is lifted and with no vaccine in place, I think there will be extreme fear and administrators will be very conservative in what they allow to happen. just my opinion.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, RegionFBFan said:

Contrary to what you read and see on tv, no one really knows. We are in uncharted waters with this thing. Unfortunately, I think there is strong possibility there will be no Fall sports in 2020. President Trump extending quaruntine to the end of April not a good sign. When it is lifted and with no vaccine in place, I think there will be extreme fear and administrators will be very conservative in what they allow to happen. just my opinion.

At least the golf courses are open!!!