Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IHSAA Football Changes - Wish

If you could make just 1 change and only 1 change, what would this change be for IHSAA Football?

This can be anything from a rule change, classification, tourney structure, schedule, etc....  Be specific and only one. 

Example of a broad, non specific change that has a lot of changes within it would be the IHSAA Tournament - Add a 10th regular season game, tournament qualification system, seed the qualifiers, Neutral sites.  This is too broad, so.....

Mine - Neutral Sites for Sectional, Regional and SemiState Championship Games

I apologize if old topic but I'm bored out of my skull with the lockdown and trying to stimulate some discussions.  I can only watch so much Netflix!!!

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, RegionFBFan said:

If you could make just 1 change and only 1 change, what would this change be for IHSAA Football?

This can be anything from a rule change, classification, tourney structure, schedule, etc....  Be specific and only one. 

Example of a broad, non specific change that has a lot of changes within it would be the IHSAA Tournament - Add a 10th regular season game, tournament qualification system, seed the qualifiers, Neutral sites.  This is too broad, so.....

I apologize if old topic but I'm bored out of my skull with the lockdown and trying to stimulate some discussions.  I can only watch so much Netflix!!!

I challenge you to watch or re watch or re re watch, Tiger King. 😂 

58 minutes ago, RegionFBFan said:

4 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

I challenge you to watch or re watch or re re watch, Tiger King. 😂 

I saw this question pop up on Twitter so it may help you out with your boredom RegionalFBFan. If Joe Exotic was the head ball coach of a high school program, what kind of defensive & offensive scheme would he run?

For those of you who haven't watched Tiger King yet I agree with DE you need to watch it, and here's a couple pics of who you're dealing with . . . 

Tiger King' Star Joe Exotic Sues Government, Former Business ...Meet Joe Exotic. He's the owner of GW Exotic Animal Park and the ...

I would like to see the IHSAA implement my previously suggested MPR (Minimum Participation Requirements) proposal.  

Football is a team game that requires a certain amount of depth, for both practice and live games.

Participation declines are impacting football roster size to a significant degree, creating deepening issues with competitive balance, and more importantly, causing player safety concerns at all levels.

Recommended MPR per class as follows :

Class 1A - 22

Class 2A - 25

Class 3A - 30

Class 4A - 35

Class 5A - 40

Class 6A - 45

Non Compliance Ramifications :

Level 1 - If a school fails to submit a roster to the IHSAA by July 1, it either accepts a 1 year probationary period where it is allowed to continue to play its varsity schedule while working to build numbers, or voluntarily cancels its season, again no later than July 1.  This will give opposing schools a short lead time to find potential replacements to fill game cancellations.

Level 2 - A school fails to meet its MPR two years in a row, and the IHSAA then mandates a two year varsity no play ruling.  The school may elect to play a jv or freshman schedule.

Many schools in Indiana remain on the brink relative to numbers, and the new corona virus threat will only put more pressure on schools with limited numbers and limited resources.  

Now is the time for coaches, admins and ADs to complete a thorough evaluation of current and expected participation levels and make decisions that not only impact their own schools, but also all opposing schools on upcoming future schedules.

The 75 dress rule for tournament and state finals. I think it’s awful the larger schools cannot dress their whole team once the tournament begins. Especially for the state finals. Seeing those kids not even allowed to be out on the field during the state finals game is heart breaking and just plain ridiculous. IHSAA needs to change this badly!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CoachJackson said:

I saw this question pop up on Twitter so it may help you out with your boredom RegionalFBFan. If Joe Exotic was the head ball coach of a high school program, what kind of defensive & offensive scheme would he run?

For those of you who haven't watched Tiger King yet I agree with DE you need to watch it, and here's a couple pics of who you're dealing with . . . 

Tiger King' Star Joe Exotic Sues Government, Former Business ...Meet Joe Exotic. He's the owner of GW Exotic Animal Park and the ...

Not sure of his offense, but his defense would be man on man. 😄

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Irishman said:

Not sure of his offense, but his defense would be man on man. 😄

He’s always strapped, so it has to be the pistol, no?  😂 

4 hours ago, DT said:

I would like to see the IHSAA implement my previously suggested MPR (Minimum Participation Requirements) proposal.  

Football is a team game that requires a certain amount of depth, for both practice and live games.

Participation declines are impacting football roster size to a significant degree, creating deepening issues with competitive balance, and more importantly, causing player safety concerns at all levels.

Recommended MPR per class as follows :

Class 1A - 22

Class 2A - 25

Class 3A - 30

Class 4A - 35

Class 5A - 40

Class 6A - 45

Non Compliance Ramifications :

Level 1 - If a school fails to submit a roster to the IHSAA by July 1, it either accepts a 1 year probationary period where it is allowed to continue to play its varsity schedule while working to build numbers, or voluntarily cancels its season, again no later than July 1.  This will give opposing schools a short lead time to find potential replacements to fill game cancellations.

Level 2 - A school fails to meet its MPR two years in a row, and the IHSAA then mandates a two year varsity no play ruling.  The school may elect to play a jv or freshman schedule.

Many schools in Indiana remain on the brink relative to numbers, and the new corona virus threat will only put more pressure on schools with limited numbers and limited resources.  

Now is the time for coaches, admins and ADs to complete a thorough evaluation of current and expected participation levels and make decisions that not only impact their own schools, but also all opposing schools on upcoming future schedules.

Would SN make the cut?

Rebs are 1-39 over past 4 seasons.  Same as Noll, who self contracted.

SOUTH NEWTON

2019 SEASON (0-10)
Coach: Brad Bevis
Aug. 23   North Newton L 0 58    
Aug. 30 at West Central L 14 68    
Sep. 6   Frontier L 0 38    
Sep. 13   Carroll (Flora) L 14 65    
Sep. 20 at Tri-County L 20 42    
Sep. 27 at Covington L 0 52    
Oct. 4   North White L 0 60    
Oct. 11 at Casey-Westfield (Ill.) L 14 55    
Oct. 18 at Lake Station L 44 46 OT  
Oct. 25 at North Judson L 16 61   sect
2018 SEASON (0-10)
Aug. 17 at North Newton L 6 41    
Aug. 24   West Central L 6 70    
Aug. 31 at Frontier L 24 63    
Sep. 7 at Delphi L 0 37    
Sep. 14   Tri-County L 0 68    
Sep. 21   Covington L 0 58    
Sep. 28 at North White L 8 65    
Oct. 5   Casey-Westfield (Ill.) L 6 59    
Oct. 12 at Blue Ridge (Ill.) L 12 43    
Oct. 19 at Pioneer L 0 86   sect
2017 SEASON (0-10)
Aug. 18 at Triton L 0 70    
Aug. 25 at Tri-County L 6 79    
Sep. 1   Georgetown-RidgeFarm (Ill.) L 0 51    
Sep. 8 at Watseka (Ill.) L 12 53    
Sep. 15   Paxton-Buckley-Loda (Ill.) L 6 45    
Sep. 22   Clifton Central (Ill.) L 0 43    
Sep. 29 at Dwight (Ill.) L 14 58    
Oct. 6 at Iroquois West (Ill.) L 30 56    
Oct. 13   Momence (Ill.) L 12 48    
Oct. 20   North Miami L 16 57   sect
2016 SEASON (1-9)
Aug. 19 at North Newton L 2 14    
Aug. 26   Tri-County L 0 42    
Sep. 2 at Georgetown-RidgeFarm (Ill.) L 28 30 OT  
Sep. 9   Watseka (Ill.) L 6 40    
Sep. 16 at Paxton-Buckley-Loda (Ill.) L 14 61    
Sep. 23 at Clifton Central (Ill.) L 14 40    
Sep. 30 at Dwight (Ill.) L 6 22    
Oct. 7   Iroquois West (Ill.) W 37 36    
Oct. 14 at Momence (Ill.) L 6 48    
Oct. 21 at North Judson L 14 27   sect

6 hours ago, Indiana Fan said:

The 75 dress rule for tournament and state finals. I think it’s awful the larger schools cannot dress their whole team once the tournament begins. Especially for the state finals. Seeing those kids not even allowed to be out on the field during the state finals game is heart breaking and just plain ridiculous. IHSAA needs to change this badly!!

Look for a new by-law coming where some of this maybe addressed    I believe there will be a situation where you teams can not be bound by the original 75 that gets turned in.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DT said:

Would SN make the cut?

Rebs are 1-39 over past 4 seasons.  Same as Noll, who self contracted.

SOUTH NEWTON

2019 SEASON (0-10)
Aug. 23   North Newton L 0 58    
Aug. 30 at West Central L 14 68    
Sep. 6   Frontier L 0 38    
Sep. 13   Carroll (Flora) L 14 65    
Sep. 20 at Tri-County L 20 42    
Sep. 27 at Covington L 0 52    
Oct. 4   North White L 0 60    
Oct. 11 at Casey-Westfield (Ill.) L 14 55    
Oct. 18 at Lake Station L 44 46 OT  
Oct. 25 at North Judson L 16 61   sect
2018 SEASON (0-10)
Aug. 17 at North Newton L 6 41    
Aug. 24   West Central L 6 70    
Aug. 31 at Frontier L 24 63    
Sep. 7 at Delphi L 0 37    
Sep. 14   Tri-County L 0 68    
Sep. 21   Covington L 0 58    
Sep. 28 at North White L 8 65    
Oct. 5   Casey-Westfield (Ill.) L 6 59    
Oct. 12 at Blue Ridge (Ill.) L 12 43    
Oct. 19 at Pioneer L 0 86   sect
2017 SEASON (0-10)
Aug. 18 at Triton L 0 70    
Aug. 25 at Tri-County L 6 79    
Sep. 1   Georgetown-RidgeFarm (Ill.) L 0 51    
Sep. 8 at Watseka (Ill.) L 12 53    
Sep. 15   Paxton-Buckley-Loda (Ill.) L 6 45    
Sep. 22   Clifton Central (Ill.) L 0 43    
Sep. 29 at Dwight (Ill.) L 14 58    
Oct. 6 at Iroquois West (Ill.) L 30 56    
Oct. 13   Momence (Ill.) L 12 48    
Oct. 20   North Miami L 16 57   sect
2016 SEASON (1-9)
Aug. 19 at North Newton L 2 14    
Aug. 26   Tri-County L 0 42    
Sep. 2 at Georgetown-RidgeFarm (Ill.) L 28 30 OT  
Sep. 9   Watseka (Ill.) L 6 40    
Sep. 16 at Paxton-Buckley-Loda (Ill.) L 14 61    
Sep. 23 at Clifton Central (Ill.) L 14 40    
Sep. 30 at Dwight (Ill.) L 6 22    
Oct. 7   Iroquois West (Ill.) W 37 36    
Oct. 14 at Momence (Ill.) L 6 48    
Oct. 21 at North Judson L 14 27   sect

I’m sure you’re aware that SN will continue to play no matter how much you post about them, right?

Reform the tournament by requiring teams to qualify by placing in the top 50% of their class under a Sagarin-like system that takes into account both W-L and strength of schedule. Obviously, many other changes would flow from this, but I’m trying to keep it to just one.

DT,

Questions regarding your wish of MR;

1. Why the scaling by class vs a standard minimum number? If 22 is the minimum number, what would a larger school have to have higher MR?

2. Wouldn't this wish just continue to plummet participation  numbers which is contrary to what most people want i.e. increased participation?

3. What would you do/consider for those student athletes at schools that don't meet MR? Ability to participate at another school in district or adjacent school not in district?

Interested in your response.

Bobref - I'm on the same page with you. I think the Tournament needs to be restructured with many changes, personally think Ohio does it the best. Not surprising as they are one of the top states in country for hs football.

• Like 1

One change....change what is allowed in the Summer to lifting, conditioning and agility only again. While the 12 practices MIGHT help, it is my contention most teams peak earlier than wanted as a result. The time commitment involved has increased dramatically, and while numbers may be up in participation, the decline is obvious. I do think more kids are choosing to not play because of the time commitment involved. While 12 practices may not seem like much, it really is a lot considering the time available for many programs to get those practices in. I would add many programs are doing additional days where they are just lifting and conditioning. There may be a point we can look at and say this helped the game here, but I also see that we are reaching a point of diminishing returns. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Gipper said:

I’m sure you’re aware that SN will continue to play no matter how much you post about them, right?

If less than 20 kids report for fall practice, do you believe SN will play or cancel the season?

1 hour ago, RegionFBFan said:

DT,

Questions regarding your wish of MR;

1. Why the scaling by class vs a standard minimum number? If 22 is the minimum number, what would a larger school have to have higher MR?

2. Wouldn't this wish just continue to plummet participation  numbers which is contrary to what most people want i.e. increased participation?

3. What would you do/consider for those student athletes at schools that don't meet MR? Ability to participate at another school in district or adjacent school not in district?

Interested in your response.

Bobref - I'm on the same page with you. I think the Tournament needs to be restructured with many changes, personally think Ohio does it the best. Not surprising as they are one of the top states in country for hs football.

The objective of the MPR is to weed out and eliminate programs that are chronically uncompetitive and suffer from low roster numbers on an annual basis.  This doesn't happen at just the 1A level.  The scale is a graduating one that reflects increasing enrollment by class.  Holding all schools regardless of size to the same MPR would be discriminatory against the low enrollment schools.  

Regarding participation, perhaps it would increase if coaches know that player retention and recruitment are critical to program survival.  

Regarding your last comment, some kids will lose the opportunity to football, mostly due to travel logistics.  Others would be given the opportunity to transfer.  I am also interested in the possibility of co op programs between schools.  This could also possibly increase participation.  Might even bring some non football playing schools into the game if they can co op with other schools.  Difficult logistically, but not impossible if local admins feel it is worth the investment.

3 minutes ago, Gipper said:

If that happens, it happens.  Until then, back off.

Based on past several years results, and taking point differential as a measure of competitiveness in to account, it may be unsafe for this program to continue forward.

13 minutes ago, DT said:

The objective of the MPR is to weed out and eliminate programs that are chronically uncompetitive and suffer from low roster numbers on an annual basis.  This doesn't happen at just the 1A level.  The scale is a graduating one that reflects increasing enrollment by class.  Holding all schools regardless of size to the same MPR would be discriminatory against the low enrollment schools.  

Regarding participation, perhaps it would increase if coaches know that player retention and recruitment are critical to program survival.  

Regarding your last comment, some kids will lose the opportunity to football, mostly due to travel logistics.  Others would be given the opportunity to transfer.  I am also interested in the possibility of co op programs between schools.  This could also possibly increase participation.  Might even bring some non football playing schools into the game if they can co op with other schools.  Difficult logistically, but not impossible if local admins feel it is worth the investment.

Glad to see a slight shift in your thinking. I distinctly recall your opposition to the idea of co op programs when you originally presented the idea of contracting. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Irishman said:

Glad to see a slight shift in your thinking. I distinctly recall your opposition to the idea of co op programs when you originally presented the idea of contracting. 

i really like the idea of city co op football.  This would be beneficial to programs in South Bend, Muncie, Gary or any other locales that are suffering from severe population declines.  

In The Region, a Lake Station - River Forest Co Op would be interesting.

Although I don’t like the idea, co-op teams do have tough obstacles: how can a team function as a cohesive unit if they don’t even attend the same school?There’s also the issue of travel time to get to the practice field, and I won’t even start on the time zone thing.  It’s very real for some people.  Basically, I think co-ops are a bad idea for high school athletics.  Not that there hasn’t been passionate and in-depth thinking for, I just think we need to shift gears, especially now...

Edited by Gipper

7 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Although I don’t like the idea, co-op teams do have tough obstacles: how can a team function as a cohesive unit if they don’t even attend the same school?There’s also the issue of travel time to get to the practice field, and I won’t even start on the time zone thing.  It’s very real for some people.  Basically, I think co-ops are a bad idea for high school athletics.  Not that there hasn’t been passionate and in-depth thinking for, I just think we need to shift gears, especially now...

I don't see how it works for schools more than 10 miles apart.  The travel would seem to be manageable at 10 miles or less.  

Cohesion can be achieved thru regular weekly practice.  Co Op football is basically, in my view, the same as "club football."  A watered down , less intense version of the real thing, but an option for those who feel there is enough demand to justify the expense.

8 minutes ago, DT said:

I don't see how it works for schools more than 10 miles apart.  The travel would seem to be manageable at 10 miles or less.  

Cohesion can be achieved thru regular weekly practice.  Co Op football is basically, in my view, the same as "club football."  A watered down , less intense version of the real thing, but an option for those who feel there is enough demand to justify the expense.

You’re only seeing your agenda, please see others.