Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IHSAA Football Changes - Wish

On 3/28/2020 at 1:33 PM, Gipper said:

Although I don’t like the idea, co-op teams do have tough obstacles: how can a team function as a cohesive unit if they don’t even attend the same school?There’s also the issue of travel time to get to the practice field, and I won’t even start on the time zone thing.  It’s very real for some people.  Basically, I think co-ops are a bad idea for high school athletics.  Not that there hasn’t been passionate and in-depth thinking for, I just think we need to shift gears, especially now...

Co-Ops are very successful in rural areas of other states. I think it would be a great solution to help those schools with declining numbers or allow students at schools without programs to participate.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JustRules said:

Co-Ops are very successful in rural areas of other states. I think it would be a great solution to help those schools with declining numbers or allow students at schools without programs to participate.

Good for them.

20 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Good for them.

If it has worked everywhere else why wouldn't it work in Indiana? In other states is almost exclusively a small town entity. There are some really small private schools in bigger cities that pair with smaller nearby towns.

3 minutes ago, JustRules said:

If it has worked everywhere else why wouldn't it work in Indiana? In other states is almost exclusively a small town entity. There are some really small private schools in bigger cities that pair with smaller nearby towns.

Never said it couldn’t .  I have no beef with you...

On 3/28/2020 at 6:55 AM, whiteshoes said:

Double-header semi-states on Saturday at neutral sites.

It could be done with some planning.  Facilities have improved enough to make it possible (turf fields with sufficient seating in both the home and visitor sides).  This would have been relatively easy to assign during the 2019 season.  This is assuming that the host schools would be willing to do this, but it could have looked something like this:

@ Warsaw

Valparaiso vs Dwenger

East Noble vs Hobart

@ Lafayette Jeff

Carmel vs Merrillville

Eastbrook vs Andrean

@ Kokomo

Chatard vs Mishawaka Marian

Lafayette Central Catholic vs Adams Central

@ Warren Central (or Arsenal Tech)

Ben Davis vs Center Grove

Western Boone vs Triton Central

@ Martinsville

Evansville Memorial vs Mount Vernon

Heritage Hills vs Danville

@ Columbus North

New Pal vs Bloomington South

Indianapolis Lutheran vs West Washington

• Like 3

I'd like us to go to a 10 WEEK (Not games) regular season and throwing out the Scrimmage. With as much practice time we have in the Summer w/ 11v11 and 7v7, we could do this. 

1) We'd still start the season on the same Monday we always do.

2) Each team gets 1 bye week.

3) Allow teams to play on Thursdays. (We could still do this even without the bye.)

4) Coaching Burnout: Season is still same amount of time, but you give coaching staffs 1 week "off" during season to rest

Edited by EricFeller

2 hours ago, HoopsCoach said:

It could be done with some planning.  Facilities have improved enough to make it possible (turf fields with sufficient seating in both the home and visitor sides).  This would have been relatively easy to assign during the 2019 season.  This is assuming that the host schools would be willing to do this, but it could have looked something like this:

@ Warsaw

Valparaiso vs Dwenger

East Noble vs Hobart

@ Lafayette Jeff

Carmel vs Merrillville

Eastbrook vs Andrean

@ Kokomo

Chatard vs Mishawaka Marian

Lafayette Central Catholic vs Adams Central

@ Warren Central (or Arsenal Tech)

Ben Davis vs Center Grove

Western Boone vs Triton Central

@ Martinsville

Evansville Memorial vs Mount Vernon

Heritage Hills vs Danville

@ Columbus North

New Pal vs Bloomington South

Indianapolis Lutheran vs West Washington

I was completely anti-this idea.  I have changed my mind.  (Quarantine does weird things to you, man.)

Most ideas put forth on the subject have two major flaws, one of which you could run into as well.

1.  Trying to ensure equal distance for competitors.   It would be nice, but that can't be the primary goal.  I'm more familiar with southern geography so I will use those examples - Heritage Hills could have played Vincennes Lincoln in the 3A South.  Or it could have been Lawrenceburg instead of HH.  Amongst the 4 possible teams: HH, Danville, Lawrenceburg, and VL, that is a lot of ground to cover.  If your ultimate goal is to find a midway point, you could not pick it until after those regionals would have been played.  Martinsville was done week 2 of sectional.  Unless they knew well in advance, their athletic department might have completely switched to basketball.  Pre-selected sites with the IHSAA placing four teams there would have to be how it was set up.  Your idea does that.  

2. The other major flaw that you could run into is with your designation of Arsenal Tech (your alternative to Warren) and Columbus North could not both be sites.   Even as likely as it may be, you cannot have the chance that a team could be playing in a semi-state and hosting a semi-state the same day.  If Tech and Columbus North both advanced to that point, one of the teams would host, meanwhile the other school's AD and game-day workers would have to stay back to host on their own field.  

I like your idea.  I just think the sticking point will be the Saturday thing.  That would have to be a state decision and many coaches would not go into that willingly.  They are creatures of habit and like the rhythm of a Friday night game and hate Saturdays.