Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Contraction Candidates Identified by Sagarin

Guest DT

Someone mentioned flag football, I could see this becoming a varsity sport before 8-9 man full contact football. Since the onset of the head trauma issue, I've seen the increase of youth flag football participation. I don't have any facts/data to support other than observations for sign ups in our area.

I'm really torn on this issue, both sides make very valid points. As an observer of school that is on the list for contraction (Bishop Noll) over the past 5-10 years, it was very disheartening to see 20 kids (give or take a few) on the their sideline and then just get completely beat down on the field. I felt awful for the kids, coaches and parents. I was an advocate for us to quit playing them even thought BNI was our fellow Catholic school in the Region. I would often think why do they even have a team? How do they practice? etc.

However on the flip side, those athletes on BNI were competing, enjoyed playing, enjoyed each other, never gave up, were proud of their school, and took enjoyment in the little wins (a play, a td, a interception, etc.). So when I look at it from the view of the student/athlete that is playing and enjoying it even though the scoreboard is very lopsided, I'd say let them play.  After all, isn't it about the kids?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Frankly you are a fool if you don't believe education is a business, and should be able to respond to market forces like virtually every other business.  

And the GID is primarily entertainment, would't you agree?

It is a business. I simply believe that it shouldn't be. Every person deserves to be educated to their highest potential and money shouldn't be an obstacle.

30 minutes ago, RegionFBFan said:

Someone mentioned flag football, I could see this becoming a varsity sport before 8-9 man full contact football. Since the onset of the head trauma issue, I've seen the increase of youth flag football participation. I don't have any facts/data to support other than observations for sign ups in our area.

I'm really torn on this issue, both sides make very valid points. As an observer of school that is on the list for contraction (Bishop Noll) over the past 5-10 years, it was very disheartening to see 20 kids (give or take a few) on the their sideline and then just get completely beat down on the field. I felt awful for the kids, coaches and parents. I was an advocate for us to quit playing them even thought BNI was our fellow Catholic school in the Region. I would often think why do they even have a team? How do they practice? etc.

However on the flip side, those athletes on BNI were competing, enjoyed playing, enjoyed each other, never gave up, were proud of their school, and took enjoyment in the little wins (a play, a td, a interception, etc.). So when I look at it from the view of the student/athlete that is playing and enjoying it even though the scoreboard is very lopsided, I'd say let them play.  After all, isn't it about the kids?

Do you believe that CV could be a game changer and move the needle for you on this issue?

7 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Frankly you are a fool if you don't believe education is a business, and should be able to respond to market forces like virtually every other business.  

And the GID is primarily entertainment, would't you agree?

Schools dropping sports in the name of competitiveness doesn't entertain me very much.

18 minutes ago, AG said:

It is a business. I simply believe that it shouldn't be. Every person deserves to be educated to their highest potential and money shouldn't be an obstacle.

So you want a utopia. 

12 minutes ago, AG said:

Schools dropping sports in the name of competitiveness doesn't entertain me very much.

If the resources being used by the dropped sport are redirected to other activities then it is a win.

• Disdain 1

7 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

So you want a utopia. 

If the resources being used by the dropped sport are redirected to other activities then it is a win.

We all should want utopia. It's not possible to be perfect, but why not try to get close?

I agree, but only if the resources are used for academics. Otherwise I prefer seeing more students get the opportunity to play a sport.

Unfortunately, I do believe that CV will have an impact on participation levels at all schools and enrollment declines at P/P due to economic impact. Then I think it will be the decision of the administrators at these schools whether to contract. If contraction is the decision, I would still like to see these student athletes be given a chance to play somewhere; a school in their district, adjacent district, even P/P if they can afford it.

I completely understand the logic behind the MR and thus contraction. My opinion is this should be up to the leaders/administrators for each High School/District not a mandate from the IHSAA. I think the IHSAA should be involved especially in regards to eligibility and participation at other schools that offer that sport.

I'm all for the student/athlete and increasing participation in all sports/activities.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RegionFBFan said:

Unfortunately, I do believe that CV will have an impact on participation levels at all schools and enrollment declines at P/P due to economic impact. Then I think it will be the decision of the administrators at these schools whether to contract. If contraction is the decision, I would still like to see these student athletes be given a chance to play somewhere; a school in their district, adjacent district, even P/P if they can afford it.

I completely understand the logic behind the MR and thus contraction. My opinion is this should be up to the leaders/administrators for each High School/District not a mandate from the IHSAA. I think the IHSAA should be involved especially in regards to eligibility and participation at other schools that offer that sport.

I'm all for the student/athlete and increasing participation in all sports/activities.

Interesting points.

Contraction could potentially hit The Region very hard.

Clark and Gavit are already on the chopping block and will consolidate into Hammond High and Morton respectively.  Consolidation is a form of contraction as it reduces the amount of schools playing football.

Lake Station and River Forest are small, low resource schools that could be hit hard by CV related issues.  I would not be shocked if an AD decided to pull the plug on football after looking at a P&L and seeing what a football season will do to his overall budget.

Noll is in limbo.  Nobody is really sure if they will return to varsity play.  Will be interesting to see which way they go.

Not sure anybody is really sure on which Gary schools remain playing from year to year.  

With regards to the MR, not sure ADs and Admins can be completely objective when making this call.  I think they need outside mandates.  

Edited by DT

30 minutes ago, DT said:

Interesting points.

Contraction could potentially hit The Region very hard.

Clark and Gavit are already on the chopping block and will consolidate into Hammond High and Morton respectively.  Consolidation is a form of contraction as it reduces the amount of schools playing football.

Lake Station and River Forest are small, low resource schools that could be hit hard by CV related issues.  I would not be shocked if an AD decided to pull the plug on football after looking at a P&L and seeing what a football season will do to his overall budget.

Noll is in limbo.  Nobody is really sure if they will return to varsity play.  Will be interesting to see which way they go.

Not sure anybody is really sure on which Gary schools remain playing from year to year.  

With regards to the MR, not sure ADs and Admins can be completely objective when making this call.  I think they need outside mandates.  

I think it was in December when you started using the "consolidation is contraction" line.  I don't think it was your original thought. 

Edited by Robert

18 minutes ago, Robert said:

I think it was in December when you started using the "consolidation is contraction" line.  I don't think it was your original thought. 

Consolidation is contraction.  

It is what it is.

21 minutes ago, psaboy said:

Chances are the season will be cancelled, Hate to say it, but I'm hearing school will not be back in season the rest of the year and the stay at home edict will likely be extended until end of May at the earliest. 

Totally sucks.  Virginia will be in house until June 10...

1 hour ago, psaboy said:

Chances are the season will be cancelled, Hate to say it, but I'm hearing school will not be back in season the rest of the year and the stay at home edict will likely be extended until end of May at the earliest. 

You know it's a big deal when the NCAA just announced that all student athletes affected by this, not just seniors, will get an additional year/season of eligibility.

20 minutes ago, foxbat said:

You know it's a big deal when the NCAA just announced that all student athletes affected by this, not just seniors, will get an additional year/season of eligibility.

I thought I heard just spring sport/athletes were granted that??

30 minutes ago, psaboy said:

I thought I heard just spring sport/athletes were granted that??

Yes, those affected.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CoachSnyder said:

According to IHSAA web site August 3 is 1st official football practice.  July 31st is start for girls golf.  Did I miss something??

When was last time updated?  You may be right, I think things are still fluid now and can still change.

This has been the official future dates calendar since last July.  This may be an interesting year.  Everybody may be forced to start on even ground.  No summer conditioning, camps, 11 on 11, etc.  Kind of like it was back in the 60's.  Everybody was bored they should up to play football.  Kind of an interesting thought!

2 minutes ago, CoachSnyder said:

This has been the official future dates calendar since last July.  This may be an interesting year.  Everybody may be forced to start on even ground.  No summer conditioning, camps, 11 on 11, etc.  Kind of like it was back in the 60's.  Everybody was bored they should up to play football.  Kind of an interesting thought!

I for one hope there is a way to get the games going this year. Maybe have to be a "shortened" season, 6-7 regular season games and just call it a season and start post season on originally intended dates? I just hoping this is a "once in a lifetime" situation, not a thing that needs to be done every year or a few years. I'm sure that is feeling of most??

The government is anticipating that up to 250,000 people will die in the next two weeks.

This will have a wide ranging impact on every institution in this country.

Pray for all those who are suffering.