Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

“Best” Play You Ever Saw?

These days, positive threads can be helpful. Describe the best play you ever saw at a high school game. It could have been an athletically superior play, a big play at a critical time, or just something that came unexpectedly out of the blue. Here’s mine:

It was the 2006 semistate, South Newton @ Sheridan, in the midst of Nick Zachery’s great run for the Blackhawks. Sheridan won the game comfortably, but South Newton’s terrific QB made it interesting for awhile. I believe he ended up the MVP of the North-South game the following summer. Zachery made a play during the game that I still have not seen equaled on a high school field. He was playing safety and a pass down the sideline was well overthrown. He went up over the receiver, with about a 40” vertical, caught the ball with one hand, and got a toe down inbounds before sprawling out on the track. One of the most remarkable plays I’ve ever seen at any level. I used to have a photo of it. I’ll see if I can find it.

• Like 1

James Banks, 2001 regional against Warren.

BD is set to punt on 4th and long from its own 40....Banks (who also plays QB, KR and P) drops back to punt.

High snap, ball goes over his head.  Banks retreats to get the ball (unsure of the exact yard line) and 2-3 Warren defenders have him dead to rites.

Seconds later he is weaving through the Warren secondary en route to a touchdown.

Unsure of how many tackles he broke or the exact yardage but my chin hit the bleachers.

@BDGiant93 can surely fill in the gaps.

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, Temptation said:

BD is set to punt on 4th and long from its own 40....Banks (who also plays QB, KR and P) drops back to punt.

High snap, ball goes over his head.  Banks retreats to get the ball (unsure of the exact yard line) and 2-3 Warren defenders have him dead to rites.

Seconds later he is weaving through the Warren secondary en route to a touchdown.

Unsure of how many tackles he broke or the exact yardage but my chin hit the bleachers.

Great story. It appears we are in agreement that big plays come from big players.

6 hours ago, Bobref said:

These days, positive threads can be helpful. Describe the best play you ever saw at a high school game. It could have been an athletically superior play, a big play at a critical time, or just something that came unexpectedly out of the blue. Here’s mine:

It was the 2006 semistate, South Newton @ Sheridan, in the midst of Nick Zachery’s great run for the Blackhawks. Sheridan won the game comfortably, but South Newton’s terrific QB made it interesting for awhile. I believe he ended up the MVP of the North-South game the following summer. Zachery made a play during the game that I still have not seen equaled on a high school field. He was playing safety and a pass down the sideline was well overthrown. He went up over the receiver, with about a 40” vertical, caught the ball with one hand, and got a toe down inbounds before sprawling out on the track. One of the most remarkable plays I’ve ever seen at any level. I used to have a photo of it. I’ll see if I can find it.

As I thought more about it, I believe the play was actually wiped out by offsetting penalties ... one of which was Zachery grabbing the receiver’s facemask with his free hand as he was coming down with the ball in his other.

7 hours ago, Temptation said:

Wasnt as flashy as Banks play but in the 04 Regular season game between Warren and Ben Davis almost the same thing happened but Warren was the team scoring. Jason Stewart was back to punt and the snap goes over his head and into the end zone. He grabs the ball avoids a couple BD players and then find I belive it was either Sam Norris or Steve Parker down field for about an 80 yard TD pass for a TD. 

2011, Cathedral at Cincinnati Moeller.  Cathedral leads most of the game and the stadium clock goes out late in the game.  Moeller scores late in the game for what appeared to be the game winner.  No one in the stadium, but the officials on the field,  knew how much time was left.  Moeller kicks off and it goes into the end zone for a touchback.  The Irish have the ball on their own 20 yard line with 17 seconds left, which we found out later.  Irish QB Cory Babb threw a long pass downfield and it was caught at the Moeller 23 yard line.  Still no one knew how much time was left but we found out later that there was 1 second left.  Cathedral place kicker Drake Myers lined up for a 40 yard field goal attempt.  It was Myers first varsity field goal attempt.  The regular Irish kicker had been excused from the team during the previous week.  Well he put the kick right down the middle and Cathedral won 26-24.

It was a miracle!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bobref said:

2008 regional vs Pioneer, NZ fielded a punt at around midfield and took off toward a sideline. He then ran out of room and headed toward the opposite sideline and used his speed to evade several Panther defenders for a TD.

47 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

2011, Cathedral at Cincinnati Moeller.  Cathedral leads most of the game and the stadium clock goes out late in the game.  Moeller scores late in the game for what appeared to be the game winner.  No one in the stadium, but the officials on the field,  knew how much time was left.  Moeller kicks off and it goes into the end zone for a touchback.  The Irish have the ball on their own 20 yard line with 17 seconds left, which we found out later.  Irish QB Cory Babb threw a long pass downfield and it was caught at the Moeller 23 yard line.  Still no one knew how much time was left but we found out later that there was 1 second left.  Cathedral place kicker Drake Myers lined up for a 40 yard field goal attempt.  It was Myers first varsity field goal attempt.  The regular Irish kicker had been excused from the team during the previous week.  Well he put the kick right down the middle and Cathedral won 26-24.

It was a miracle!

Wow, surprised you didn’t get “buckeye’d” in that scenario...

12 minutes ago, HereComesTheBoom said:

I'm going with this one (@ 5:19 mark) in 2000 to win the 3A State title in OT for Heritage Hills over Zionsville!  (Jay Cutler on the receiving end from Cole Seifrig)

I saw that one live and it was unbelievable! Love the officials’ garb. Note that the R is wearing an adjustable band cap in a state championship game. And the line judge was tragically late to the goal line on the TD.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HereComesTheBoom said:

I'm going with this one (@ 5:19 mark) in 2000 to win the 3A State title in OT for Heritage Hills over Zionsville!  (Jay Cutler on the receiving end from Cole Seifrig)

Considering the situation it cant get much bigger than that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HereComesTheBoom said:

That was a fun one to watch.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, HanShotFirst said:

Craziest series of plays I've seen.  Height of Convicts vs. Catholics.  Andrean down 7 with two minutes remaining in the Sectional Championship.

Andrean @ Griffith - 4th & 26

A reminder that Griffith STOMPED Andrean 48-14 in the regular season matchup. Up 42-7 Griffith went for two and later faked a punt, up 42-14.  This was one of the greatest Region rivalries of the time.  Following this reception and 2-point conversion, Andrean would go on to finish the season as 2004 3A State Champions, defeating Heritage Hills 21-14.

Great article about it here: https://www.regionsports.com/2016/11/02/football-unbelievable-unforgettable-part-1/

• Like 1

Not sure I would define it as best, maybe craziest. Cathedral trailed Reitz 35-34 in the 2007 semi-state final (blew a 13 point lead with less than 4 minutes to go). Now Indianapolis Colt Jack Doyle catches a Hail Mary but is ruled down inches before the goal line.

Edit: Found a better angle right down the goal line. Doesn't get much closer than that

Edited by Footballking16
  • Like 1