Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Lets End this RPO Madness

Guest DT

The State of Indiana is producing more and more high level Division 1 linemen than ever before.  Unfortunately, the skills of these highly sought after players are being muted by the mindless playground RPO systems that have become so widely used across high school football fields on Friday nights.

RPO is a simple offensive scheme that is easily taught to bantam school players and mastered by pee wees and midgets.  The drive blocking and pass protection skills of big linemen are mitigated in these schemes.  Lots of standing around and then their involvement in the action is very limited.

Indiana schools should play to their strengths.  Refocus on the running back and fullback positions, and take advantage of these big homegrown offensive linemen.

There is nothing more fun to watch than a big powerful football team moving down the field at will behind a rugged and nasty offensive line.

7 hours ago, DT said:

The State of Indiana is producing more and more high level Division 1 linemen than ever before.  Unfortunately, the skills of these highly sought after players are being muted by the mindless playground RPO systems that have become so widely used across high school football fields on Friday nights.

RPO is a simple offensive scheme that is easily taught to bantam school players and mastered by pee wees and midgets.  The drive blocking and pass protection skills of big linemen are mitigated in these schemes.  Lots of standing around and then their involvement in the action is very limited.

Indiana schools should play to their strengths.  Refocus on the running back and fullback positions, and take advantage of these big homegrown offensive linemen.

There is nothing more fun to watch than a big powerful football team moving down the field at will behind a rugged and nasty offensive line.

Agreed.  "Four yards and a cloud of dust" is still the best offensive scheme out there. It scores points and it controls the clock.  This RPO crap is all about running plays "fast" because "we the people", and it trickles down to coaching staffs,  now consider 140 points debacles as "good football".

• Like 1

RPO's aren't a new concept. I've seen them in playbooks as far back as the 70's. Heck, even Bud Wright utilized an RPO 2 years ago against us in the sectional. Why would you not take advantage of an effective scheme? Your lack of football knowledge is very evident. The Bart Curtis and Russ Radtke's of the world still co-exist peacefully among the new wave coaching concepts, and the sky is not falling.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DT said:

You answered your own question DT...

“RPO is a simple offensive scheme that is easily taught to bantam school players and mastered by pee wees and midgets.“

The last thing you want is your quarterback thinking too much...

16 minutes ago, CoachVeatch said:

RPO's aren't a new concept. I've seen them in playbooks as far back as the 70's. Heck, even Bud Wright utilized an RPO 2 years ago against us in the sectional. Why would you not take advantage of an effective scheme? Your lack of football knowledge is very evident. The Bart Curtis and Russ Radtke's of the world still co-exist peacefully among the new wave coaching concepts, and the sky is not falling.

I guess it just comes down to personal preference.  For me, I have no interest in watching a 6 hour game where QBs combine to throw the ball 120 times, the teams roll up 1400 yards combined in total offense and somebody wins 76-75 in quadruple overtime.  QBs and receivers play 7 on 7 all night while lineman stand around and watch.

To me , thats RPO.

Am I old school and old fashioned and out of touch because I like a 24-21 game that features a strong rushing game and a traditional passing attack that includes the TE?

Edited by DT

Let me preface this by saying, that in my belief, the perfect game consists of a passing attack of 0-0 for 0 yards.  But I have seen many really simple RPO's that utilize the TE very well. As well as running the ball very well. Getting into Second and Third level RPO's is where it can get tricky, but the first level stuff is exactly what DT has stated. Simple and Easy.  I guess it is how you utilize it that makes it seem that you dont run the ball.  I would rather utilize the RPO system of today , than any Air Raid system that would result in a 6 hour game.

11 minutes ago, DT said:

I guess it just comes down to personal preference.  For me, I have no interest in watching a 6 hour game where QBs combine to throw the ball 120 times, the teams roll up 1400 yards combined in total offense and somebody wins 76-75 in quadruple overtime.  QBs and receivers play 7 on 7 all night while lineman stand around and watch.

To me , thats RPO.

Am I old school and old fashioned and out of touch because I like a 24-21 game that features a strong rushing game and a traditional passing attack that includes the TE?

Agreed,  RPO schemes should be banned in traditional 11-man Indiana high school tackle football.  Let the scoring is everything zealots take it to to their 8-man football "game".

• Confused 1
  • Disdain 2

News flash: a simple goal of football is to score touchdowns.  IPO, PPO, RPO—it should really matter.  I know some dinosaurs are of the three yards and a cloud of dust mentality which is fine.  But the game would be very remiss if other innovators such as the architects of the West Coast Offense (and Fumblerooski) weren’t honored with their systems being implemented.

9 minutes ago, Gipper said:

News flash: a simple goal of football is to score touchdowns.  IPO, PPO, RPO—it should really matter.  I know some dinosaurs are of the three yards and a cloud of dust mentality which is fine.  But the game would be very remiss if other innovators such as the architects of the West Coast Offense (and Fumblerooski) weren’t honored with their systems being implemented.

Offense, defense and special teams.  Football is not football without all 3.

Many coaches turn over the defense to inexperienced assistants and put all their best athletic talent on the offensive side of the ball.

Kliff Kingsbury

Mike Leach

Hal Mumme

Sonny Dykes

Lincoln Riley

Jeff Brohm

The list is endless

That's not tackle  football.  Thats flag football

2 minutes ago, DT said:

Many coaches turn over the defense to inexperienced assistants and put all their best athletic talent on the offensive side of the ball.

Kliff Kingsbury

Mike Leach

Hal Mumme

Sonny Dykes

Lincoln Riley

Jeff Brohm

The list is endless

My high school head coach back in the day did this exact same thing.

2 minutes ago, DT said:

Kliff Kingsbury

Mike Leach

Hal Mumme

Sonny Dykes

Lincoln Riley

Jeff Brohm

The list is endless

That's not tackle  football.  Thats flag football

Thanks, but I don’t buy it.  The game, as everything is in society, constantly evolves...

17 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Four yards and a cloud of  dust is better. You score faster that way.  🙂

47 minutes ago, DT said:

To me , thats RPO.

Isn't the end goal of a game is to score more points than your opponent??

• Like 1

I don't get the angst towards RPO? Now I don't advocate running it for the sake just to do it, but if you have a QB who is good/smart enough to make the reads and it utilizes your athletes in space that gives you a distinct advantage over your opponent, why the hell not run it? The end goal is to put your best team in a position to win. Whether that's RPO, Air Raid, Wishbone, Triple Option, who cares? 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, psaboy said:

Isn't the end goal of a game is to score more points than your opponent??

Football is a form of entertainment.  

When it is no longer entertaining and becomes dull and monotonous, fans leave.

The older crowd is moving away from the game for this reason.  The younger crowd really doesn't care how the game is played.  They are theire primarily for betting and fantasy reasons.

Edited by DT

6 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I don't get the angst towards RPO? Now I don't advocate running it for the sake just to do it, but if you have a QB who is good/smart enough to make the reads and it utilizes your athletes in space that gives you a distinct advantage over your opponent, why the hell not run it? The end goal is to put your best team in a position to win. Whether that's RPO, Air Raid, Wishbone, Triple Option, who cares? 

RPO has basically reduced offensive football to a simple read and react decision by the QB.  All of the great , wonderful offensive schemes of the past which demanded perfect execution and maximized the specific physical talents of individual players have been marginalized and forgotten in homage to the great RPO.

I absolutely despise it.  

When you see the same schemes run at every level of football from midget to pro, you've seen homogenous football gone wild.

7 minutes ago, DT said:

RPO has basically reduced offensive football to a simple read and react decision by the QB.  All of the great , wonderful offensive schemes of the past which demanded perfect execution and maximized the specific physical talents of individual players have been marginalized and forgotten in homage to the great RPO.

I absolutely despise it.  

When you see the same schemes run at every level of football from midget to pro, you've seen homogenous football gone wild.

That’s when great defensive minds cone in: 3-4, 4-3, nickel, zone blitz, safety blitz, Blitzkrieg...