Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Lets End this RPO Madness

Guest DT

2 hours ago, DT said:

Football is a form of entertainment.  

When it is no longer entertaining and becomes dull and monotonous, fans leave.

The older crowd is moving away from the game for this reason.  The younger crowd really doesn't care how the game is played.  They are theire primarily for betting and fantasy reasons.

OK BOOMER !!

Did I do that right??   😂

12 hours ago, DT said:

The State of Indiana is producing more and more high level Division 1 linemen than ever before.  Unfortunately, the skills of these highly sought after players are being muted by the mindless playground RPO systems that have become so widely used across high school football fields on Friday nights.

RPO is a simple offensive scheme that is easily taught to bantam school players and mastered by pee wees and midgets.  The drive blocking and pass protection skills of big linemen are mitigated in these schemes.  Lots of standing around and then their involvement in the action is very limited.

Indiana schools should play to their strengths.  Refocus on the running back and fullback positions, and take advantage of these big homegrown offensive linemen.

There is nothing more fun to watch than a big powerful football team moving down the field at will behind a rugged and nasty offensive line.

Have you seen a college or NFL game in the last....oh I don't know 20 years?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gipper said:

But with that, I grew up in Newton county, attended South Newton where I scored on 1460 on my SAT (33 on ACT) so my intelligence should not be questioned.  Although my growing up was very good, I have lived in locales such as New York, Boston, and Atlanta.  Much like Robert, I consider myself a citizen of the world.  Checkers are, I grant you, but I prefer others games of strategy...

Yet more navel gazing. Must be the facebook/instagram addiction...............

• Disdain 4

40 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Although it appears that a few posters wanted to exchange in potshots and attacks because it’s what they do, I’ll stay on point: the option attack requires precise execution and discipline.

lol,  pretending to take the high road after you've been down in the weeds with the rest of us is quite amusing.  

As for "precise execution and discipline",  many sports require that.  And many other football offenses.

• Disdain 1

Is this thread only anti-RPO but also anti spread, tempo, read option?  Many offenses are a combination of old school counter and power blocking schemes with a more modern mix of formations.  I don't think 11 men in a phone both is necessary harder to defend than getting formationed to death...or any more entertaining.

Edited by Titan32
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Is this thread only anti-RPO but also anti spread, tempo, read option?  Many offenses are a combination of old school counter and power blocking schemes with a more modern mix of formations.  I don't think 11 men in a phone both is necessary harder to defend than getting formationed to death...or any more entertaining.

Brilliant!

I personally love watching spread offenses. WW runs exclusively from shotgun and still had a 2000 yard rusher 2 years ago. Last year was more balanced but still run 1st. WW ran a wishbone when I was in HS. I prefer the spread. If you prefer the other then I dont think it's wrong. Just enjoy the game. I dont think this is an RPO hate thread as it is a passing game hate thread. I enjoy balanced. Just as some dont wanna watch 70 passes I dont wanna watch 70 runs. But also as stated in original post indiana has a ton of guys ready for D1 in the OL....but maybe that's because they are quicker, leaner more spread oriented guys. Would the ratings be as high if looking for 330 pound road graders? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In Texas, they play 66-57 games every Friday night all season long.  Its basically 7 on 7 on super fast turf fields played by ultra quick athletes, with 4 linemen standing around and watching the proceedings.

If that's your bag of tea, then so be it.  Enjoy it.  Most everyone today under 45 was brought up on video games so the fast paced, high scoring type of contest is right up your alley.

Most of those Texas athletes wind up playing in the Big 12.  Note the Big 12s performance since the onset of the CFP era.  Not so good.  

58 minutes ago, WWFan said:

I personally love watching spread offenses. WW runs exclusively from shotgun and still had a 2000 yard rusher 2 years ago. Last year was more balanced but still run 1st. WW ran a wishbone when I was in HS. I prefer the spread. If you prefer the other then I dont think it's wrong. Just enjoy the game. I dont think this is an RPO hate thread as it is a passing game hate thread. I enjoy balanced. Just as some dont wanna watch 70 passes I dont wanna watch 70 runs. But also as stated in original post indiana has a ton of guys ready for D1 in the OL....but maybe that's because they are quicker, leaner more spread oriented guys. Would the ratings be as high if looking for 330 pound road graders? 

A lot of us do.  

8 hours ago, Temptation said:

I’d love to hear @Bobref chime in on this one.

Pat Fitzgerald went nuts in a presser a couple of years back when it comes to OL guys being downfield constantly on teams that run RPO schemes and his beef was that it was never called/enforced.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ftw.usatoday.com/2018/09/northwestern-coach-pat-fitzgerald-rpo-communism-quote-video-argument-reaction-college-football/amp

To be honest, this issue is better handled by @JustRules, since he is much more familiar with the umpire position than I. Umpires are often involved in this call.

As I learned a long time ago, early 60's, if you don't have offensive lineman in any type of offense you are not going to be successful.  In any game you watch in person or tv watch the offensive linemen.  They either block at the point of attack, pass block, or are down field.  Bill Siderewicz, Chris Geesman, Dale Hummer, and Joe Burvan (HOF coaching staff at Rensselaer when I played) made it known as the offensive line goes so goes our team.  During that time we saw the robust T, Pro I, double wing, and wing T.   Even today's RPO system has to have OL to win at a high level.  When I watched state finals and bowl games last year it was the teams with offensive lineman that won.  Enough said.

• Like 3

I think the most frustrating and annoying part of the RPO is the horribly slow pace of play.

All of the passes and incompletions stop the clock and slow down the game considerably.  Add in all the sideline signals, poster boards and play changes and positional adjustments coming in from the sidelines, and you get a grindingly slow pace of play that is unwatchable.  

QBs tend to use as much time on the play clock as they can get away with.

In my view, this is the worst byproduct of the RPO.  It kills momentum.  You don't see a lot of 80 yard , 7 minute clock eating drives with the RPO.  Its usually a big play or a turnover.  

Edited by DT

10 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Agreed,  RPO schemes should be banned in traditional 11-man Indiana high school tackle football.  Let the scoring is everything zealots take it to to their 8-man football "game".

There are PLENTY of ways to stop RPOs. Any D-coordinator worth his weight has a plan for RPOs. Don't blame the offensive coordinators and the RPO because you have a old school defensive coordinator who wants to sit in a 46 cover 3 and get picked apart all game. They deserve to get beat 50-0. Which of course you would say they should just eliminate their program at that point. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DT said:

In Texas, they play 66-57 games every Friday night all season long.  Its basically 7 on 7 on super fast turf fields played by ultra quick athletes, with 4 linemen standing around and watching the proceedings.

If that's your bag of tea, then so be it.  Enjoy it.  Most everyone today under 45 was brought up on video games so the fast paced, high scoring type of contest is right up your alley.

Most of those Texas athletes wind up playing in the Big 12.  Note the Big 12s performance since the onset of the CFP era.  Not so good.  

Meh,  these 7 ultra quick athletes should just go and play soccer while the 4 lineman go play rugby.  They would probably have more fun.

• Disdain 1

Some people like lots of scoring, while others apparently don’t.  There is no right or wrong answer here.  But if you’re going to get all up on arms about something you can’t control, why bother going?  Save your $6 for something else...

1 hour ago, DT said:

I think the most frustrating and annoying part of the RPO is the horribly slow pace of play.

All of the passes and incompletions stop the clock and slow down the game considerably.  Add in all the sideline signals, poster boards and play changes and positional adjustments coming in from the sidelines, and you get a grindingly slow pace of play that is unwatchable.  

QBs tend to use as much time on the play clock as they can get away with.

In my view, this is the worst byproduct of the RPO.  It kills momentum.  You don't see a lot of 80 yard , 7 minute clock eating drives with the RPO.  Its usually a big play or a turnover.  

You’ve heard of the two minute offense, right?

1 hour ago, CoachSnyder said:

As I learned a long time ago, early 60's, if you don't have offensive lineman in any type of offense you are not going to be successful.  In any game you watch in person or tv watch the offensive linemen.  They either block at the point of attack, pass block, or are down field.  Bill Siderewicz, Chris Geesman, Dale Hummer, and Joe Burvan (HOF coaching staff at Rensselaer when I played) made it known as the offensive line goes so goes our team.  During that time we saw the robust T, Pro I, double wing, and wing T.   Even today's RPO system has to have OL to win at a high level.  When I watched state finals and bowl games last year it was the teams with offensive lineman that won.  Enough said.

Linenen like Dean Steinkhuler—fumblerooski’s golden boy...

3 hours ago, DT said:

That's not necessarily a proving stat given to the clumping of athletes.  Of the Top 50 Texas recruits, five Big 12 schools attracted ... Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Baylor, and TCU.  23 of 50 went to those schools.  The breakdown is:

• Texas 13
  • Oklahoma 6
  • TCU 2
  • Texas Tech 1
  • Baylor 1

Oklahoma finished #4 last year in the CFP rankings and Baylor finished #7 with one other finishing in the Top 25.  In the previous year, Oklahoma finished #4, Texas finished #15, and another 3 finished Top 25.

Another 18 went to the SEC ... and those teams finished #1, #5, #9, #12, and #13 this year and #1, #5, #10, #11, #14, #18, #19, and #23 last year.  Boldfaced schools are where the Top 50 from Texas who went to the SEC landed.

It would seem that the Texas Top 50 are landing at top competition locations.

28 minutes ago, foxbat said:

That's not necessarily a proving stat given to the clumping of athletes.  Of the Top 50 Texas recruits, five Big 12 schools attracted ... Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Baylor, and TCU.  23 of 50 went to those schools.  The breakdown is:

• Texas 13
  • Oklahoma 6
  • TCU 2
  • Texas Tech 1
  • Baylor 1

Oklahoma finished #4 last year in the CFP rankings and Baylor finished #7 with one other finishing in the Top 25.  In the previous year, Oklahoma finished #4, Texas finished #15, and another 3 finished Top 25.

Another 18 went to the SEC ... and those teams finished #1, #5, #9, #12, and #13 this year and #1, #5, #10, #11, #14, #18, #19, and #23 last year.  Boldfaced schools are where the Top 50 from Texas who went to the SEC landed.

It would seem that the Texas Top 50 are landing at top competition locations.

And half are staying in state

Big 12 schools play basically a mirror image of what Texas high schools play.   

Its not a championship level style of play.

Edited by DT

54 minutes ago, DT said:

And half are staying in state

Big 12 schools play basically a mirror image of what Texas high schools play.   

Its not a championship level style of play.

It's possible that half are staying in state, but they aren't playing in the Big 12.  You do realize that only four teams in the state of Texas play in the Big 12?  And Baylor finished Top 10 this past season and Texas finished Top 15 the season before.  There are 12 Division I FBS teams in Texas ... only four are in the Big 12.  In 2019, roughly just shy of 2,000 Texans played FBS ball in the whole country.  423 of these played in the Big 12 and that's across ALL of the Big 12 teams.  So the idea that somehow half are staying in state and that somehow translates into that half all playing in the Big 12 is just not supported by the facts.  It's a tad under 22%.  Of those 423, 42 of them are on the Sooner squad ... a team that has been #4 in the country the last two seasons in FCS final ranking and has produced 2 of the last 3 #1 draft picks for the NFL.  66 of Baylor's players in 2019 were Texas players.  That means 108 of 423 Big 12 players played on teams that placed Top 10 last season.  Again, the premise doesn't fit the numbers.

You can slight the Big 12 all you want, but again, the players from Texas, which you are claiming play non-competitive level of play play on teams that have been Top 25.  Incidentally, Texas has produced the last three #1 draft choices for the NFL.  And guess where two of those played college ball?  In the Big 12.  The 3rd stayed in state, but played for A&M in the SEC.

• Like 1