Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Lets End this RPO Madness

Guest DT

21 hours ago, DT said:

RPO has basically reduced offensive football to a simple read and react decision by the QB.  All of the great , wonderful offensive schemes of the past which demanded perfect execution and maximized the specific physical talents of individual players have been marginalized and forgotten in homage to the great RPO.

I absolutely despise it.  

When you see the same schemes run at every level of football from midget to pro, you've seen homogenous football gone wild.

That's pretty short sighted and shows your lack of understanding of football and offensive concepts

• Like 3
  • Disdain 1

10 hours ago, foxbat said:

It's possible that half are staying in state, but they aren't playing in the Big 12.  You do realize that only four teams in the state of Texas play in the Big 12?  And Baylor finished Top 10 this past season and Texas finished Top 15 the season before.  There are 12 Division I FBS teams in Texas ... only four are in the Big 12.  In 2019, roughly just shy of 2,000 Texans played FBS ball in the whole country.  423 of these played in the Big 12 and that's across ALL of the Big 12 teams.  So the idea that somehow half are staying in state and that somehow translates into that half all playing in the Big 12 is just not supported by the facts.  It's a tad under 22%.  Of those 423, 42 of them are on the Sooner squad ... a team that has been #4 in the country the last two seasons in FCS final ranking and has produced 2 of the last 3 #1 draft picks for the NFL.  66 of Baylor's players in 2019 were Texas players.  That means 108 of 423 Big 12 players played on teams that placed Top 10 last season.  Again, the premise doesn't fit the numbers.

You can slight the Big 12 all you want, but again, the players from Texas, which you are claiming play non-competitive level of play play on teams that have been Top 25.  Incidentally, Texas has produced the last three #1 draft choices for the NFL.  And guess where two of those played college ball?  In the Big 12.  The 3rd stayed in state, but played for A&M in the SEC.

We are only talking about the Top 50 Texas recruits, and I stated that half of them are staying in state.  Of the Top 50, a high majority must be in The Big 12.  Dontcha think?

Lance Harbor, a five-star recruit for the West Canaan Coyotes committed to Florida State before blowing out his knee.  Jonathan Moxon ultimately went to Brown which is in Rhode Island and Wendell Brown went to Grambling (Louisiana for you folks playing at home).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Lance Harbor, a five-star recruit for the West Canaan Coyotes committed to Florida State before blowing out his knee.  

Probably did it playing on field turf, where a higher percentage of knee injuries occur.

• Disdain 1

10 minutes ago, DT said:

We are only talking about the Top 50 Texas recruits, and I stated that half of them are staying in state.  Of the Top 50, a high majority must be in The Big 12.  Dontcha think?

Already pointed out the fallacy in your numbers using the Top 50.  There are 13 of 23 at one school ... BTW 23 is less than half of 50, so it's not close to a "high majority."   About the best you could be saying about that is that University of Texas plays lackluster ball.  Even then, in 2018 they were #15 in the CFS final ranking.  Even looking at last year, where Texas finished 8-5, Texas lost to National Champion, LSU, by 7 points, eventual #4 OU by 7 points, eventual #7 Baylor by 14 points, and then routed #11 Utah 38-10.  

Of the other places where the top 50 went, again, in the Big 12, two programs were in the Top 10 last season, and as pointed out, two of the last three years, the #1 draft pick for the NFL came out of that league and, in the two years, Texas split a pair of games with that team with the difference being no more than a TD in both games. 

Your initial post was ...

17 hours ago, DT said:

Most of those Texas athletes wind up playing in the Big 12.  Note the Big 12s performance since the onset of the CFP era.  Not so good.  

It didn't specify Top 50, but a presentation of both Top 50 and the full numbers indicate that the idea that somehow Texas athletes suffer competitiveness because they make up a chunk of players in the Big 12 again isn't born out by the numbers.  So whether we're talking Top 50 or Texas athletes at FBS in general, the attempt to somehow or another undermine the competitiveness of Texas athletes isn't born out by the numbers.  

• Thanks 2
  • Disdain 1

Don't confuse DT with facts. It doesn't fit his narrative.

I looked up data from last year for comparison purposes. I picked the same week for both states and used 6A for Texas and 6A/5A for Indiana. Here is what I found.

Texas (92 games) - average score is 39-16 with 22% the winner scored more than 50
Indiana (44 games) - average score is 35-15 with 14% the winner scored more than 50

Colder weather could have kept down some of the scores, but it general those are pretty similar numbers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Disdain 1

10 minutes ago, JustRules said:

Don't confuse DT with facts. It doesn't fit his narrative.

I looked up data from last year for comparison purposes. I picked the same week for both states and used 6A for Texas and 6A/5A for Indiana. Here is what I found.

Texas (92 games) - average score is 39-16 with 22% the winner scored more than 50
Indiana (44 games) - average score is 35-15 with 14% the winner scored more than 50

Colder weather could have kept down some of the scores, but it general those are pretty similar numbers.

When I read the 66-57 score comment, I initially thought DT was referring to 6-man!

With two boys playing Texas high school football from 2012-2017 my personal recollection of game scores is closer to the 39-16 than 66-57.  I don't have the time right now to research data, but I can only remember a couple games where it looked like neither team was playing defense.  I'd say generally, most games the score differential was in the 3 to 21 point range.  Typically in games where someone scored high 40's or more (mostly us thank goodness, lol) the other team would only score maybe 14 max against the winners subs.  Those games were the exception, not the norm.

When my oldest was an underclassman we still played a fair amount of teams, I'd say six or seven, that were "3 yards and a cloud of dust" offenses.  We had a handful of local teams and would  face another one to three in playoffs that kept it on the ground.  This is for 2A ball, the smallest classification in TX playing 11-man, so take that into consideration.  By the time my youngest was a senior, I'd say through 13 games (10 reg season, 3 rounds post) we faced three teams total that favored the run, and only two of them ran from what we would call traditional formations.  So yes, overall the majority of our opponents ran some version of RPO.  We even used that scheme more often towards the end of my time watching hs ball.  Started out as a spread team, that was balanced run/pass, and over time began adding options for the QB.  The hs game has definitely morphed in just the time I was watching my kids play.

Personally, I think both extremes are very boring.  I prefer a balanced, or close to, game.

According to Maxpreps the top five states with the most top-500 football recruits:  Florida, Texas, Georgia, California & Alabama.  That's just one source, there are many more.  I'm sure Texas would make just about anyone's top 5 list for hs recruits.  If they're that high they must not be the only ones playing "7 on 7".

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

Already pointed out the fallacy in your numbers using the Top 50.  There are 13 of 23 at one school ... BTW 23 is less than half of 50, so it's not close to a "high majority."   About the best you could be saying about that is that University of Texas plays lackluster ball.  Even then, in 2018 they were #15 in the CFS final ranking.  Even looking at last year, where Texas finished 8-5, Texas lost to National Champion, LSU, by 7 points, eventual #4 OU by 7 points, eventual #7 Baylor by 14 points, and then routed #11 Utah 38-10.  

Of the other places where the top 50 went, again, in the Big 12, two programs were in the Top 10 last season, and as pointed out, two of the last three years, the #1 draft pick for the NFL came out of that league and, in the two years, Texas split a pair of games with that team with the difference being no more than a TD in both games. 

Your initial post was ...

It didn't specify Top 50, but a presentation of both Top 50 and the full numbers indicate that the idea that somehow Texas athletes suffer competitiveness because they make up a chunk of players in the Big 12 again isn't born out by the numbers.  So whether we're talking Top 50 or Texas athletes at FBS in general, the attempt to somehow or another undermine the competitiveness of Texas athletes isn't born out by the numbers.  

Is it not true that the state with the highest representation of scholarship players in the Big 12 is Texas?

Is it not true that this has been the case since the inception of The Big 12?

If it were not for Oklahoma, is it not true that the Big 12 would by far be the worst performing conference since the inception of the CFP Series?

Is it not true that kids who graduated from Oklahoma high schools did indeed not attend Texas high schools?

Is it not true that most of the Texas talent coming out of the Big 12 and into the NFL comes from the offensive side of the football?

I digress

Just for kicks, I took a look at Big 12 results in the 2019 NFL Draft,  first 6 rounds. where the actual players will be drafted :

R1 : 1 Off   1 DEF

R2 : 2 OFF   1 DEF

R3 : 5 OFF   0 DEF

R4 : 6 OFF   0 DEF

R5 : 0 OFF   1 DEF

R6 : 1 OFF   2 DEF

Total : 15 OFF  5 DEF

Teams represented :

OU -  6 players

TCU : 2

KSU : 2

BAY : 1

ISU :  2

WVU : 5

OSU : 1

TX : 1

Edited by DT

Just now, Gipper said:

Then I guess all he can do is call people names, what a baby.

Yeah, that's all I can do.  I have a productive thread going here and all you can add is nonsense and jibbertish.

Stay out if you have nothing productive to add.  

I cant see a single comment of yours in this discussion that either added value or pushed the conversation forward.  You're dead weight.  get out.

2 minutes ago, DT said:

Its the very first word that came to mind.

LOL

Mature, real mature.  Then again I expect nothing less from someone like yourself.  I was actually paid you a compliment in a post yesterday.  I now rescind that.

2 minutes ago, DT said:

Yeah, that's all I can do.  I have a productive thread going here and all you can add is nonsense and jibbertish.

Stay out if you have nothing productive to add.  

I cant see a single comment of yours in this discussion that either added value or pushed the conversation forward.  You're dead weight.  get out.

Not going anywhere.  

• Disdain 1

10 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Mature, real mature.  Then again I expect nothing less from someone like yourself.  I was actually paid you a compliment in a post yesterday.  I now rescind that.

Not going anywhere.  

Youre the last fool I need a compliment from.