Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Lets End this RPO Madness

Guest DT

31 minutes ago, DT said:

Just for kicks, I took a look at Big 12 results in the 2019 NFL Draft,  first 6 rounds. where the actual players will be drafted :

R1 : 1 Off   1 DEF

R2 : 2 OFF   1 DEF

R3 : 5 OFF   0 DEF

R4 : 6 OFF   0 DEF

R5 : 0 OFF   1 DEF

R6 : 1 OFF   2 DEF

Total : 15 OFF  5 DEF

Teams represented :

OU -  6 players

TCU : 2

KSU : 2

BAY : 1

ISU :  2

WVU : 5

OSU : 1

TX : 1

21 hours ago, DT said:

In Texas, they play 66-57 games every Friday night all season long.  Its basically 7 on 7 on super fast turf fields played by ultra quick athletes, with 4 linemen standing around and watching the proceedings.

If that's your bag of tea, then so be it.  Enjoy it.  Most everyone today under 45 was brought up on video games so the fast paced, high scoring type of contest is right up your alley.

Most of those Texas athletes wind up playing in the Big 12.  Note the Big 12s performance since the onset of the CFP era.  Not so good.  

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2019/04/28/2019-nfl-draft-a-list-of-every-big-12-player-selected/

About 22 through Round 6.

• 9 QB/RB/WR ... 2/3/4
  • 1 TE
  • 6 OLine OG/OT 2/4
  • 2 DE
  • 2 LB
  • 1 DB
  • 1 K

While there are offensive players in the mix, your previous posts have indicated that the OLine guys don't really play in the mix of things.  Really what you are looking at is 10 offensive skill QB/WR/RB, counting the TE if you want to count hands, and six "lineman standing around and watching the proceedings."

Of the four guys that are identified as playing Texas high school ball in that group ... Murray, Collier, Evans, and Omenihu ... one is a QB, two are DEs, and one is an OT.  There are four that are merely listed as USA for their hometown.  Of those, one is an RB, one is a WR, one is an OT, and the other an LB.

7 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

I struggle with that comment.  Can't it be both winning and developing your O line?

I do agree you play to your strengths....If one has a dominating O line with some strong backs....then make the D stop the run.  If cocky, why even show pass?....demoralize the team by running it down their throat...control the clock, and put the kids to bed.

If you don't have that type of line, need to keep the D guessing, and have the strength at Q, then do what you have to do.  Play to your strength.

It aligns with my "play to your strength" comment. If you have a D1 caliber QB and speedy and shifty receivers, why not run an RPO style offense designed to get your best athletes in space on decided matchups? Rather than appealing to old farts like DT of playing "smashmouth football" because old-timers don't enjoy a new brand of football. I struggle with his comments that RPO is "ruining" the game. It isn't.

17 minutes ago, foxbat said:

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2019/04/28/2019-nfl-draft-a-list-of-every-big-12-player-selected/

About 22 through Round 6.

• 9 QB/RB/WR ... 2/3/4
  • 1 TE
  • 6 OLine OG/OT 2/4
  • 2 DE
  • 2 LB
  • 1 DB
  • 1 K

While there are offensive players in the mix, your previous posts have indicated that the OLine guys don't really play in the mix of things.  Really what you are looking at is 10 offensive skill QB/WR/RB, counting the TE if you want to count hands, and six "lineman standing around and watching the proceedings."

Of the four guys that are identified as playing Texas high school ball in that group ... Murray, Collier, Evans, and Omenihu ... one is a QB, two are DEs, and one is an OT.  There are four that are merely listed as USA for their hometown.  Of those, one is an RB, one is a WR, one is an OT, and the other an LB.

Is there a point somewhere you are trying to make?

I didnt include the kicker from Oklahoma.

Edited by DT

4 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

https://tenor.com/view/varsity-blues-billy-bob-ron-lester-puke-and-rally-drunk-gif-5640321

I don't disagree....I just think Coaches do need to be creative about developing their players.  But I concur to play to your strength.  

Sarkisian and Fitzgerald aren't exactly old farts.  They speak for the crowd that enjoys traditional American football where power and toughness once ruled.  

1 minute ago, TrojanDad said:

image.png.8b206be4020cae23d0120694e7d028db.png

I got a warning from the Admin    LOL

1 minute ago, TrojanDad said:

image.png.8b206be4020cae23d0120694e7d028db.png

All I have to say that I did have productive things to say, but apparently he thinks his thoughts matter above everyone else’s and can’t take a joke.  Did I go too far with a few of my posts?  Possibly, but no one is in then position to play God of who can be here and who cannot.

I thought this was a public forum...

42 minutes ago, DT said:

Yeah, that's all I can do.  I have a productive thread going here and all you can add is nonsense and jibbertish.

Stay out if you have nothing productive to add.  

I cant see a single comment of yours in this discussion that either added value or pushed the conversation forward.  You're dead weight.  get out.

09CB66E7-5E32-4E3A-9D45-B211F8756EF2.gif

26 minutes ago, Gipper said:

I thought this was a public forum...

No, it's not.  The GID is a private entity.

32 minutes ago, DT said:

I got a warning from the Admin    LOL

Somebody must have whined to them.

• Disdain 1

1 hour ago, DT said:

Is there a point somewhere you are trying to make?

I didnt include the kicker from Oklahoma.

The point is that the numbers don't fit the narrative ... and, in particular when you attempted to link Texas high school football, RPO, and the Big 12 they really don't match up.

BTW, looking at the Big 12 players that played in this year's NFL playoffs, that played ball in Texas high schools, again, the numbers don't match the narrative.  The Big 12 had 55 players on active rosters for the NFL playoff teams.  20 of those played high school ball in Texas.  The breakdown of positions:

• 9 Linemen - 3 Defensive, 6 Offensive ... some of these are just standing around doing nothing on offense
  • 7 LB/DB - only 1 LB
  • 3 Backs/Receivers - 1 QB and 2 WRs
  • 1 K

Even if you do offense/defense, the split is about even with 9 offense, 10 defense, 1 special.  If you are talking skill positions, those folks in the 7-on-7 scenario that's been pitched for the RPO, that drops down to just 3 out of 20. 

Even if you focus on a single school like University of Texas and assume that every one of their players came from the state of Texas, the 33 draft picks for the last 10 years breakdown as:

• 7 Linemen - 6 defensive and one offensive
  • 19 Dbacks and LBs - 9 of these are LBs
  • 6 Backs/Receivers/TE
  • 1 P

Anyone who follows tu football, and even as a rival Aggie I know about what they are known for, you know that they are big on DBs.  Again, the narrative isn't supported by the numbers.  Toss in the score analysis that @Bonecrusher tossed in and it might be better maybe going to another state to try to support the narrative.  

33 minutes ago, foxbat said:

The point is that the numbers don't fit the narrative ... and, in particular when you attempted to link Texas high school football, RPO, and the Big 12 they really don't match up.

BTW, looking at the Big 12 players that played in this year's NFL playoffs, that played ball in Texas high schools, again, the numbers don't match the narrative.  The Big 12 had 55 players on active rosters for the NFL playoff teams.  20 of those played high school ball in Texas.  The breakdown of positions:

• 9 Linemen - 3 Defensive, 6 Offensive ... some of these are just standing around doing nothing on offense
  • 7 LB/DB - only 1 LB
  • 3 Backs/Receivers - 1 QB and 2 WRs
  • 1 K

Even if you do offense/defense, the split is about even with 9 offense, 10 defense, 1 special.  If you are talking skill positions, those folks in the 7-on-7 scenario that's been pitched for the RPO, that drops down to just 3 out of 20. 

Even if you focus on a single school like University of Texas and assume that every one of their players came from the state of Texas, the 33 draft picks for the last 10 years breakdown as:

• 7 Linemen - 6 defensive and one offensive
  • 19 Dbacks and LBs - 9 of these are LBs
  • 6 Backs/Receivers/TE
  • 1 P

Anyone who follows tu football, and even as a rival Aggie I know about what they are known for, you know that they are big on DBs.  Again, the narrative isn't supported by the numbers.  Toss in the score analysis that @Bonecrusher tossed in and it might be better maybe going to another state to try to support the narrative.  

Its simply madness to think there is no strong link between these 3 entities.  Madness I say!

No number crunching of any kind can deny the link between the 3.

They share a common DNA.  

Madness

2 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

Just trying to bring some levity.....

I do have to DT a ton of credit....he get's responses to his posts....makes GID interesting.....cultivates emotion.

Its better with him here.......makes it fun!!

Since when is it "fun" to belittle someone and call them a fool?  I am surprised this tread wasn't shut down for that comment.

17 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Since when is it "fun" to belittle someone and call them a fool?  I am surprised this tread wasn't shut down for that comment.

Never is.  I guess some people get so caught up in themselves no one else matters...

On 4/1/2020 at 9:08 AM, DT said:

Offense, defense and special teams.  Football is not football without all 3.

Many coaches turn over the defense to inexperienced assistants and put all their best athletic talent on the offensive side of the ball.

Kliff Kingsbury

Mike Leach

Hal Mumme

Sonny Dykes

Lincoln Riley

Jeff Brohm

The list is endless

That's not tackle  football.  Thats flag football

Jeff Brohm has George Karlaftis who is a future NFL player and a five star recruit out of high school. 

Edited by AG

22 minutes ago, AG said:

Jeff Brohm has George Karlaftis who is a future NFL player and a five star recruit out of high school. 

Karlaftis looked exactly like what he was in 2019.  A young freshman playing with older men.  Lets see how he develops.  

1 hour ago, itiswhatitis said:

You don't hang out much in the OOB forum, do you?   

Edited by Muda69
  • Disdain 1