Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

CV will push conf consolidation and expanded playoffs

Guest DT

Look for the fallout from the CV Pandemic to have a huge impact on the future of college football, specifically conference realignment and the college football playoff.

TV contracts for the major conferences start to expire in 2023, and the current 12 year CFP contract expires in 2025.  There will be a football version of "Chinese Chairs" as schools scrable for a position in the four new super conferences as we move towrds an 8 team playoff.

For many schools on the bubble, just how they navigate their way thru the CV crisis may determine if they have a seat at the big boy table when the big realignment comes calling.

Im expecting 4 Super Conferences, anchored by 4 of the 5 Power conferences (B10/PAC12/ACC/SEC)  The Big 12 will be broken up and scattered throughout the country to fill open conference slots.

I see one of two scenarios :

Scenario 1 : 16 Team Conferences - 8 total divisions - 64 teams 

There are currently 65 teams in the Power 5 conferences.  Someone will have to go.  Candidates include Oregon State, Kansas, Iowa State, Rutgers, Vanderbilt, TCU, Texas Tech, baylor

Scenario 2 : 18 team Conferences - 8 total divisions - 72 teams

This scenario opens up 8 slots for schools looking to break in to the playoff division.  Candidates include Cincinnati, UCF, Houston, Connecticut, South Florida, BYU, Boise State

I prefer the 64 team, 16 per conference alignment.  First program to go would be Oregon State.  I would like to see BYU get in.  One of the Texas schools would need to go.  TCU the most likely.

I will leave the divisional alignments to others who want to take a shot.

Remember, expiring TV contracts in 2023, the current CFP contract up in 2025, fallout from the CV, and public demand for playoff expansion will push this initiative to the forefront sooner than later.