Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Valpo DE Jones Commits

Guest DT

Just now, BTF said:

Georgia has barely beaten ND twice in the last three years. Not sure why the gap there is so HUGE.

HUGE.  ND isn’t about moral victories are they?

This year’s Georgia team was ravaged by injuries.  They barely escaped ND early in the season and folks thought that was a good sign for ND.

Then MICHIGAN happened.

Georgia is one of the few programs that can recruit their own backyard and do just fine.  Hundreds of prospects in the Peach state alone.  They’ll rebound just fine.

Which makes USC and Texas’ recent struggles even more baffling to me.  I watched the 2006 NC game the other night.  A competent coach should cruise to a minimum of 10 wins annually in LA or Austin.

Getting a bit off topic here, might need to move this one to the OT forum...

Cooper's uncle Rob (left in photo) (Eric's older brother) was the Portage High School junior prom king and my late oldest sister Tonia was the senior prom queen for the class of 1980.  Jerry Lasky was the senior prom king and he is now the principal at Union Township Middle School in Wheeler.  Rob Jones was also the Portage High School Quarterback under Les Klein.  Eric Jones was also the center on Portage's 1988 regional championship basketball team, first Portage team to ever win a regional in boys basketball.  Really nice family.

Just a little more history for those who are interested.

toniaprom01.jpg

portage8801.jpg

3 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Both.

I think, by and large, a larger portion of kids in Montgomery Alabama take football more seriously than the kids of Detroit. I don't think there is a talent difference, I think it's a commitment difference. 

Just now, BTF said:

I think, by and large, a larger portion of kids in Montgomery Alabama take football more seriously than the kids of Detroit. I don't think there is a talent difference, I think it's a commitment difference. 

I’ll agree there.  Football is 365 down there with track occasionally sprinkled in.

1 minute ago, Temptation said:

HUGE.  ND isn’t about moral victories are they?

This year’s Georgia team was ravaged by injuries.  They barely escaped ND early in the season and folks thought that was a good sign for ND.

Then MICHIGAN happened.

Georgia is one of the few programs that can recruit their own backyard and do just fine.  Hundreds of prospects in the Peach state alone.  They’ll rebound just fine.

Which makes USC and Texas’ recent struggles even more baffling to me.  I watched the 2006 NC game the other night.  A competent coach should cruise to a minimum of 10 wins annually in LA or Austin.

Getting a bit off topic here, might need to move this one to the OT forum...

Then why doesn't ND get credit with their injury to Love in the Clemson game. He went down, Clemson exploited that and scored three touchdowns. The other three quarters were almost dead even. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BTF said:

Then why doesn't ND get credit with their injury to Love in the Clemson game. He went down, Clemson exploited that and scored three touchdowns. The other three quarters were almost dead even. 

One player (unless at the QB position) should not derail a program like ND, I don’t care how skilled the kid is.

Georgia was missing SEVEN starters at one point or another this season!  That’s nearly 1/3 of their lineup.  Big difference.

ND has gotten their chance on the big stage twice recently and was demolished both times.  Once they lost to UGA early last season, their playoff chances were done.  They weren’t getting in even with one loss.  

Now, in hindsight it was a moot point and Oklahoma wasn’t a better choice.  The Sooners will be dealing with that sane rhetoric going forward.  A 1 loss Oklahoma may be done going forward due to their embarrassment in the playoff.

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, Temptation said:

One player (unless at the QB position) should not derail a program like ND, I don’t care how skilled the kid is.

Georgia was missing SEVEN starters at one point or another this season!  That’s nearly 1/3 of their lineup.  Big difference.

ND has gotten their chance on the big stage twice recently and was demolished both times.  Once they lost to UGA early last season, their playoff chances were done.  They weren’t getting in even with one loss.  

Now, in hindsight it was a moot point and Oklahoma wasn’t a better choice.  The Sooners will be dealing with that sane rhetoric going forward.  A 1 loss Oklahoma may be done going forward due to their embarrassment in the playoff.

Fair enough, I can't argue with that. Notre Dame needs a signature win and they'll get it this fall when Clemson comes to South Bend..................keep the receipt on that one. I'll happily eat crow if I'm wrong. I don't even think Notre Dame will win against Wisconsin at Lambeau Field. The Badgers will be jacked up. Clemson will face the same fate in South Bend when the Irish will be jacked up. 

Agree with Oklahoma. The playoff should consist of Clemson, the SEC, and the Big Ten.........................period. Big 12 and Pac 12 can forget it unless something changes. 

23 minutes ago, Temptation said:

By name only due to a weak schedule and not having to play in a conference title game.  They did not belong on the same field in their 2013 game against Bama or their 2018 game against Clemson.

100%. Look at NDs record in "big games" the past like 15 years, its staggeringly terrible. 

LSU, Bama, UGA, OSU, Clemson, and Oklahoma 

At this point in time that's the only teams who matter. No ND is not a player right now, they aren't a threat, even as much as their fanbase wants to believe they are. 

And honestly.. what's with the not being in a conference? 

3 minutes ago, BTF said:

Fair enough, I can't argue with that. Notre Dame needs a signature win and they'll get it this fall when Clemson comes to South Bend..................keep the receipt on that one. I'll happily eat crow if I'm wrong. I don't even think Notre Dame will win against Wisconsin at Lambeau Field. The Badgers will be jacked up. Clemson will face the same fate in South Bend when the Irish will be jacked up. 

Agree with Oklahoma. The playoff should consist of Clemson, the SEC, and the Big Ten.........................period. Big 12 and Pac 12 can forget it unless something changes. 

How does a ND fan even act arrogant in big games anymore? I dont understand. 

7 minutes ago, BTF said:

ND travels to Lambeau early, where weather shouldn’t be a factor.  I like their chances.  No Jonathan Taylor to worry about either.

One foot on the ship with your Clemson statement as that game is in November.  High octane offenses don’t usually thrive in cold weather...problem is Clemson also has an elite defense.

43 minutes ago, btownqbcoach said:

100%. Look at NDs record in "big games" the past like 15 years, its staggeringly terrible. 

At this point in time that's the only teams who matter. No ND is not a player right now, they aren't a threat, even as much as their fanbase wants to believe they are. 

Since 2012

2019     Georgia 23, ND 17     at Georgia

2018     ND 21, LSU 17     Neutral

2017     Georgia 20, ND 19     at ND

2015     Clemson 24, ND 22     at Clemson

2014     ND 31, LSU 28     Neutral

2013     Oklahoma 35, ND 21     at ND

2012     ND 30, Oklahoma 13     at Oklahoma

Yeah, yeah. Clemson waxed ND in 2018 like they did everyone else. Alabama waxed ND in 2012. Looking at the seven games above and you can honestly say that Notre Dame "isn't a player, not even a threat?" I hope Clemson feels that way when they come to South Bend, the Irish should win by 21...............but they won't, because Dabo Swinney isn't stupid. 

Conversation over pal, you obviously have a bias against the Irish.

1 hour ago, btownqbcoach said:

Ummm notre dame has beaten LSU last two times they’ve played.... but as a notre dame fan I understand what you’re saying. They need to win a big game. Period. Until then, people can and have the right to say whatever or just say Michigan (I still don’t know what happened there). As far as the conference exclusion, I kind of like it so they can keep playing whomever they choose and still keep the National brand of playing rivals and across the country and on NBC. But I’ve been waiting since Lou holtz was on the sideline for them to win a big one.

7 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Ummm notre dame has beaten LSU last two times they’ve played.... but as a notre dame fan I understand what you’re saying. They need to win a big game. Period. Until then, people can and have the right to say whatever or just say Michigan (I still don’t know what happened there). As far as the conference exclusion, I kind of like it so they can keep playing whomever they choose and still keep the National brand of playing rivals and across the country and on NBC. But I’ve been waiting since Lou holtz was on the sideline for them to win a big one.

You may be waiting much longer

The gap between the Tier 1 schools (OSU/AL/GA/CL/LSU) and the Tier 2 Schools (OU/AU/PSU/TX/ND/FL) is widening.  

Kelly is not recruiting at a high enough level to keep up with the Tier 1 schools.  He is doing a terrific job.  Unfortunately, he has to do even better to keep pace.  

Perhaps ND is gradually lowering expectations.  Tier 2 might be good enough for the admin.  The costs of Tier 1, inclusive of potential reputation damage, might be too high for the Irish to stomach.

The brand is not as strong to the youth of today as it was one, two or three decades ago.  USC is going through the same issues.  Not even sure SC is still a Tier 2 school.

50 minutes ago, BTF said:

Since 2012

2019     Georgia 23, ND 17     at Georgia

2018     ND 21, LSU 17     Neutral

2017     Georgia 20, ND 19     at ND

2015     Clemson 24, ND 22     at Clemson

2014     ND 31, LSU 28     Neutral

2013     Oklahoma 35, ND 21     at ND

2012     ND 30, Oklahoma 13     at Oklahoma

Yeah, yeah. Clemson waxed ND in 2018 like they did everyone else. Alabama waxed ND in 2012. Looking at the seven games above and you can honestly say that Notre Dame "isn't a player, not even a threat?" I hope Clemson feels that way when they come to South Bend, the Irish should win by 21...............but they won't, because Dabo Swinney isn't stupid. 

Conversation over pal, you obviously have a bias against the Irish.

You cherry picked 7 games 😂😂😂

You get zero points for coming close lol... ND is so irrelevant you're referencing LOSSES. Oklahoma beat you by 14 at home and you're referencing that? C'mon man. 

ND "should" beat Clemson by 21? What world have you lived in the last 30 years? Michigan WAXED ND last year and Michigan was the 5th best team in the B1G. 

58 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Fair. Obviously those LSU teams your beat recently havent been anywhere close to their better teams though. 

I think USC is a Tier 1 sleeping giant. Way too much NFL talent in Southern California that they're losing because of their instability at coach. Put another coach in Troy that can dominate the Pac 12 and USC is likely back into Tier 1 status. Or, at the very least high end Tier 2. 

2 hours ago, BTF said:

Notre Dane didn't belong in that game? ND gifted Clemson an injury to Julian Love. Clemson beat ND in the second quarter and second quarter only. When Love was in, they hung with the "best team ever" for three quarters.................and lost by a smaller margin than Alabama did. 

I understand that ND isn't Tier 1. But you are over-exaggerating their insignificance. 

As I said. Haters gonna hate.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

I think USC is a Tier 1 sleeping giant. Way too much NFL talent in Southern California that they're losing because of their instability at coach. Put another coach in Troy that can dominate the Pac 12 and USC is likely back into Tier 1 status. Or, at the very least high end Tier 2. 

Its been widely reported that California's top recruits are choosing to leave the state and play in the southeast.

A bigger problem for the Trojans might be the lack of opportunity to play in big games.  Kids not only want to go to the best Tier 1 schools, they also want to play in big games that get national exposure.  USC - Washington and USC - Oregon are regional games that draw a regional only audience.  USC-UCLA is no longer a marquee matchup.

Could USC go independent eventually?

If college football continues to become an afterthought in the west, it just might happen.

21 minutes ago, btownqbcoach said:

Hello Mcfly! Anyone home? I referenced the Top 5 programs on ND's schedule over the last 8 years.

26 minutes ago, btownqbcoach said:

You get zero points for coming close lol... ND is so irrelevant you're referencing LOSSES. Oklahoma beat you by 14 at home and you're referencing that? C'mon man. 

Clearly you're not even smart enough to have a debate with.

27 minutes ago, btownqbcoach said:

ND "should" beat Clemson by 21? What world have you lived in the last 30 years? Michigan WAXED ND last year and Michigan was the 5th best team in the B1G. 

Taken out of context............run along little boy. 

28 minutes ago, btownqbcoach said:

Fair. Obviously those LSU teams your beat recently havent been anywhere close to their better teams though. 

Most people, including Bleacher Report and Sporting News go back 5-10 years when rating a program. You go back one year. You're silly. 

22 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

They've been saying USC is a sleeping giant for the past few years. But I agree, with the right coach, they could be dominant again. 

30 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Same with Texas.  Its embarrassing the hard times those two programs have fallen on.  Makes me think Sneaky Pete was even dirtier than I first thought.

16 minutes ago, DT said:

A bigger problem for the Trojans might be the lack of opportunity to play in big games.  Kids not only want to go to the best Tier 1 schools, they also want to play in big games that get national exposure.  USC - Washington and USC - Oregon are regional games that draw a regional only audience.  USC-UCLA is no longer a marquee matchup.

If the right coach comes along and proves to the west coast kids that they can win again, I think they will choose to stay closer to home and play teir 2 & 3 type competition. USC still has a strong brand. 

39 minutes ago, btownqbcoach said:

I guess it also comes down to your definition of "big game".  I'm not so sure the non BCS bowl game wins over LSU count as "big games" since the inception of the playoff and players sitting out, etc...

Too many players sitting out, the disappointment that some teams have from missing a better bowl game, etc makes me treat bowl games more so like an early spring game for the next season.  They are interesting to watch in December and January because nothing else is on, but I do not think they are the perceived "momentum builders/recruiting pitches" they were once thought to be.

And I am not just saying that because my favorite program (Michigan) has absolutely SUCKED recently in bowl games.  

In all honesty as much as I hate to admit this, there are a lot of parallels between Michigan and Notre Dame...

1 minute ago, BTF said:

If the right coach comes along and proves to the west coast kids that they can win again, I think they will choose to stay closer to home and play teir 2 & 3 type competition. USC still has a strong brand. 

But college football is an afterthought on the west coast.  Its a mid western/southeastern sport.  But you're right.  All USC should need to do is secure their backyard and they can pencil in 10 wins, with a competent coach.

6 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Same with Texas.  Its embarrassing the hard times those two programs have fallen on.  Makes me think Sneaky Pete was even dirtier than I first thought.

Can't make excuses when you have the resources that Texas and California have. The same can be said for Indiana basketball. 

Edited by BTF
Additional wording

3 minutes ago, Temptation said:

In all honesty as much as I hate to admit this, there are a lot of parallels between Michigan and Notre Dame...

Good academics and very high percentage of players who graduate with degrees. One of the reasons I have a lot of respect for Michigan. 

Just now, BTF said:

Can't excuses when you have the resources that Texas and California have. The same can be said for Indiana basketball. 

Most tier 1-2 college programs have similar resources these days. Its an arms race but is really splitting hairs in the long run.  Do you want a player's lounge with a full court basketball facility OR PS4s in each locker?  Gone are the days where you can honestly sell facilities and TV exposure as a feather in the cap of your program.  Everyone is on TV.  Everyone has money, some just more than others.

I am as critical of Indiana basketball as anyone.  But the aura of Hoosier basketball is gone.  The program has been nationally irrelevant for the entirety of their current recruiting targets' lives.  I don't blame kids for going out of state and while there are a ton of talented kids in state annually, you can't compare that to the pure numbers that Texas and California boast.

Just now, BTF said:

Good academics and very high percentage of players who graduate with degrees. One of the reasons I have a lot of respect for Michigan. 

I wish the comparisons ended there but unfortunately they don't.  I think both programs are clean and do things the right way but seem to be living on past glory.

21 minutes ago, BTF said:

Hello Mcfly! Anyone home? I referenced the Top 5 programs on ND's schedule over the last 8 years.

Clearly you're not even smart enough to have a debate with.

Taken out of context............run along little boy. 

Most people, including Bleacher Report and Sporting News go back 5-10 years when rating a program. You go back one year. You're silly. 

They've been saying USC is a sleeping giant for the past few years. But I agree, with the right coach, they could be dominant again. 

This is all you could come up with? When you have to resort to attacks.. you probably need take a step back. 

ND isnt overly relevant. I'm not sure what to tell you? The south doesnt fear ND at all, OSU yes, ND no.