Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Corona and Fall Sports

1 hour ago, psaboy said:

I'm hearing "strong" rumors that school will start with remote learning in August. Maybe play the football season in spring?? China really messed up the whole world with this one. 

They really did, but they get an A in biowarfare.

E Learning is not sustainable for elementary kids. I have friends that have to elementary kids, but they are both still working. Babysitters are hard to come by, let alone ones that will do elearning. It'd be better to hold everyone back a year than to do elearning again.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, psaboy said:

I'm hearing "strong" rumors that school will start with remote learning in August. Maybe play the football season in spring?? China really messed up the whole world with this one. 

I've been preaching for spring football since the beginning, but there are people that think I was insane to think that. There is a lot of hurdles to jump through, but we could make it work. What's so wrong about making a kid decide between football and baseball.. it does not affect more than a handful of kids out of a team of 80. If we so no spring football because of baseball we would be ripping the majority of kids off.. play it in the spring if need be. Start in March.

11 minutes ago, Raven67 said:

I've been preaching for spring football since the beginning, but there are people that think I was insane to think that. There is a lot of hurdles to jump through, but we could make it work. What's so wrong about making a kid decide between football and baseball.. it does not affect more than a handful of kids out of a team of 80. If we so no spring football because of baseball we would be ripping the majority of kids off.. play it in the spring if need be. Start in March.

I would be curious as to what percentage of schools in the state actually have a roster of 80+

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, wabashalwaysfights said:

I would be curious as to what percentage of schools in the state actually have a roster of 80+

I understand that some schools would have an issue, but majority of schools could fill a roster safely. I timmy plays baseball but wants to play football.. let him. Same the other way around. The only people that would have a problem with this are the over competitive adults and coaches that preach to kid that their sports is the "best". This is not a time to be like that. These kids are struggling with all of this, so why not let them play their sport when we come out of this. Just seems selfish to say it wouldn't be fair to baseball. I would be willing to bet that most schools would be able to field a football and baseball team, would some kids be getting playing time that normally wouldnt.. yep. But if thats what it takes to make a kid experience his senior year in sports. Im willing to go for it.

2 hours ago, Raven67 said:

I apologize if I gave the impression that your thinking was insane. I disagreed with the idea of moving the season to the Spring, but I am perfectly fine with ideas that are outside the box. My feeling is that outside the box will be more and more of a necessity for the next couple years at least. 

4 hours ago, Raven67 said:

I understand that some schools would have an issue, but majority of schools could fill a roster safely. I timmy plays baseball but wants to play football.. let him. Same the other way around. The only people that would have a problem with this are the over competitive adults and coaches that preach to kid that their sports is the "best". This is not a time to be like that. These kids are struggling with all of this, so why not let them play their sport when we come out of this. Just seems selfish to say it wouldn't be fair to baseball. I would be willing to bet that most schools would be able to field a football and baseball team, would some kids be getting playing time that normally wouldnt.. yep. But if thats what it takes to make a kid experience his senior year in sports. Im willing to go for it.

Class 1A-3A would not be able to field those numbers....

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Irishman said:

I apologize if I gave the impression that your thinking was insane. I disagreed with the idea of moving the season to the Spring, but I am perfectly fine with ideas that are outside the box. My feeling is that outside the box will be more and more of a necessity for the next couple years at least. 

Any adjustment will affect another sport. Maybe football starting in January?? Doesn't really get that cold here in winters anymore.

6 hours ago, Raven67 said:

This is just not this simple. What are you considering a majority? Like farmerfran said, 1-3A is going to be largely a no go for this. I'd bet that the bottom half of 4A would struggle with this too. Also, it is about the coaches too. If you offer both at the same time, you will also have coaches that have to choose which sport they will coach, and those choices at a lot of smaller schools will take the decision out of Timmy's hands.

26 minutes ago, wabashalwaysfights said:

This is just not this simple. What are you considering a majority? Like farmerfran said, 1-3A is going to be largely a no go for this. I'd bet that the bottom half of 4A would struggle with this too. Also, it is about the coaches too. If you offer both at the same time, you will also have coaches that have to choose which sport they will coach, and those choices at a lot of smaller schools will take the decision out of Timmy's hands.

Look this is not ideal for anyone.. What happened to adapt and survive, this is for the kids. There will be sacrifices made by all coaches, players, parents, and officials. but on the financial side of it.. as the article states above... it makes sense. And you mention it not being that simple, I have never said that it would be simple. In fact, I'm saying the opposite. They should be taking this time to make things work.. maybe less classes for a year, or give an option for participation and divide them up. There are hurdles, but they are not unachievable. With a little effort on some peoples parts, and some unorthodox thinking, it can and will work. 

Saying "if Timmy plays baseball but wants to play football... let him" seems pretty simplistic to me.

I'm not sure I've ever said anything about adapt and survive, but I certainly have the best interest of kids at heart. That doesn't mean that I'm going to be in favor of some radical plan that creates more problems than it solves. Thankfully, for all of us, in not anywhere near the decision making process on this one.

As Bobby Cox was quoted in The Star article, football is the #1 money maker, and combined with Boys Basketball helps pay for spring sports.  There may not be another option than to play football in the spring....... killing 2 birds with 1 stone.  Getting the revenue and not have to pay for spring sports.

For the non-football schools, let them have their spring sports and have tournaments that are non-class, although it would be mostly small schools anyway.

Start the season the 1st Friday in March, 6 games, 3 home and 3 road for all. Tournament would start mid-April, no bye weeks and finish up early May. Eliminate conferences for the season since a full slate can not be played. Not ideal I know, but at least there will be a season, and that would still leave 10 weeks or so before fall practice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stax, that is all well and good, and I totally understand the financial end of it. That is the only reason I would be on board with a switch would be the financial aspects.  Its unfortunate, but I get it.  What I think gets lost is that again, for safety reasons, I think you would have to mirror that same schedule (6 games, no bye weeks, etc) in the fall of 2021.

4 hours ago, Staxawax said:

As Bobby Cox was quoted in The Star article, football is the #1 money maker, and combined with Boys Basketball helps pay for spring sports.  There may not be another option than to play football in the spring....... killing 2 birds with 1 stone.  Getting the revenue and not have to pay for spring sports.

For the non-football schools, let them have their spring sports and have tournaments that are non-class, although it would be mostly small schools anyway.

Start the season the 1st Friday in March, 6 games, 3 home and 3 road for all. Tournament would start mid-April, no bye weeks and finish up early May. Eliminate conferences for the season since a full slate can not be played. Not ideal I know, but at least there will be a season, and that would still leave 10 weeks or so before fall practice.

The boys basketball sectional is the first Friday in March and the tournament  runs through March.  You also have 1 or 2 week spring breaks in middle/late March or early April to deal with.  You all are grasping at straws with this spring football idea...will never happen.  

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, EricFeller said:

Let's say we have some semblance of a football season. Do you foresee us having an even larger shortage of officials due to many being considered 'high-risk' of the virus?

That is really an excellent question. Like so many other potential consequences of the pandemic, I haven’t a clue.

6 hours ago, Staxawax said:

This is the real reason.  Football gate money and the State Finals fund high school sports.  If social distancing practices (of some type...think "large crowds") are still in place this fall, it would prevent that revenue....it is not just "outside of the box" thinking, you could argue its the financially responsible decision.  I would hate it personally, but not over the choice of just cancelling football for an entire year.

As far as conflicting with basketball state finals....I think a lot of IHSAA "dates" would be shuffled if such a change would occur.  I don't always agree with IHSAA decisions, but I have faith they'd get that figured out.

Edited by US31

The IHSAA won’t mess with spring sports for 2 consecutive years.  And let’s say this fantasy of spring football does happen, the IHSAA will take a financial hit because attendance will not be what it is in the fall.  The way the tournament is set up now you have the state finals during a break...allowing for 2 consecutive days of state finals games.  How does that look like in the spring?

If there is no football this fall then what you will see is the IHSAA taking a big % (or 100%) of the sectional revenues from girls and boys basketball in 20-21 and then likely the same thing in the fall of 21 with football and possibly both basketballs.  This pandemic is most certainly putting a strain on the budgets of the IHSAA and athletic departments, but what I fear more is what does this pandemic do to state education funding next year and the future?  There may be some major issues there.    

One thing that I don’t believe has been discussed is what impact this virus will have on overall participation numbers. I could see a lot of parents and students decide to avoid organized sports for a while due to the uncertainty surrounding this situation. Football in particular could really suffer if a lot “on the fence” players decide not to participate.

24 minutes ago, wrcsage said:

The IHSAA won’t mess with spring sports for 2 consecutive years.  And let’s say this fantasy of spring football does happen, the IHSAA will take a financial hit because attendance will not be what it is in the fall.  The way the tournament is set up now you have the state finals during a break...allowing for 2 consecutive days of state finals games.  How does that look like in the spring?

If there is no football this fall then what you will see is the IHSAA taking a big % (or 100%) of the sectional revenues from girls and boys basketball in 20-21 and then likely the same thing in the fall of 21 with football and possibly both basketballs.  This pandemic is most certainly putting a strain on the budgets of the IHSAA and athletic departments, but what I fear more is what does this pandemic do to state education funding next year and the future?  There may be some major issues there.    

State Finals would likely be in June, similar to Baseball.  I don't know that...but the Ohio proposal does something similar.  I also don't think attendance will be as affected as you think, the appetite for football would be huge, and the novelty of it would likely draw crowds especially if social distancing was done by then.

I'm not saying I want this to happen....I want us to come back from moratorium and be back to football.