Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Corona and Fall Sports

18 minutes ago, US31 said:

State Finals would likely be in June, similar to Baseball.  I don't know that...but the Ohio proposal does something similar.  I also don't think attendance will be as affected as you think, the appetite for football would be huge, and the novelty of it would likely draw crowds especially if social distancing was done by then.

I'm not saying I want this to happen....I want us to come back from moratorium and be back to football.  

I've been thinking about the first comment in bold and I'm not so sure there would be the same fan appetite for high school football in the spring.  Especially if the NFL and NCAA seasons go off in the fall, even if just on television.  The average person would have gotten their "fix" and would be ready to move on to the more traditional calendar.  It sounds ridiculous to think about this too, but families are still going to go on vacations in the spring and early summer too regardless of what sports are being played.  You stand to lose players and fans to spring break, the timing of which varies from school to school of course.  And before you scoff at that notion, do two things; ask a spring sport coach what the most annoying thing about playing in the spring is, most will tell you it is navigating spring break. Secondly, look at how many people still traveled this past spring break as we went from 0 to 100 on restrictions, because I can tell you in our area it was a lot of folks.  Do I still have an appetite for football in the spring?  Hell yes!  I tried to watch every AAF and XFL game I could.  My wife, who I would say is a more casual fan even though she is more rabid than most, on the other hand?  Her appetite is not near as strong.  She's ready to garden come the spring.  I have to remind myself sometimes that most folks out there just don't care as much about football as I/we do.  They have other concerns in life.  They love football when it's on, but they can, will, and do survive just fine without it.  As with all this, I could be wrong; may interest skyrockets, but I don't think it's a slam dunk.

To the second comment, at this point, I'm afraid that even if "social distancing" is done away with tomorrow, you are still going to have a significant portion of the population who will continue these practices out of fear for their health, whether they are told the threat is mitigated or not.  That portion of the population may "social distance" for years, which is their right of course.  My fear is that that portion of the population may be bigger than any of us realize.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, wrcsage said:

The boys basketball sectional is the first Friday in March and the tournament  runs through March.  You also have 1 or 2 week spring breaks in middle/late March or early April to deal with.  You all are grasping at straws with this spring football idea...will never happen.  

Why are you acting like the school schedule for '20-'21 is going to look anything like normal?  

Basketball sectionals can be M-T-Th-Sat.  The remaining tourney games are on Sat.

No one should be planning a spring break until it is officially scheduled.  Don't count on the norm in a Pandemic era.

This isn't grasping at straws, it's a possible scenario to keep the IHSAA and athletic departments in the black. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

No one should be planning a spring break until it is officially scheduled.  Don't count on the norm in a Pandemic era.

I think most parents I've run into make their spring break plans whenever they want whether it's already been scheduled or not. We've had a two week spring break for years now and you would be shocked at the number of kids that we still have miss up to a week of school because "we've already made our plans."  I don't think a pandemic, epidemic, natural disaster, or end of the world is going to change that.  As our softball coach points out every year, "God forbid you mess with someone's spring break!"

21 minutes ago, wabashalwaysfights said:

I think most parents I've run into make their spring break plans whenever they want whether it's already been scheduled or not.

As our softball coach points out every year, "God forbid you mess with someone's spring break!"

Ain't that the truth!  And fall break plans, summer break plans, 4th of July plans, Memorial Day plans, Cinco de Mayo plans, plain old "going to the lake" plans, ... and the ever popular "whatever screws up the weekend tournament" plans.

On 4/30/2020 at 1:20 PM, wabashalwaysfights said:

And before you scoff at that notion, do two things; ask a spring sport coach what the most annoying thing about playing in the spring is, most will tell you it is navigating spring break. Secondly, look at how many people still traveled this past spring break as we went from 0 to 100 on restrictions, because I can tell you in our area it was a lot of folks.  Do I still have an appetite for football in the spring?  Hell yes!  I tried to watch every AAF and XFL game I could. 

Many.....Many schools have a one week fall break during football season.  Some during the last week of season or first week of tournament 

On 4/30/2020 at 9:16 AM, EricFeller said:

Let's say we have some semblance of a football season. Do you foresee us having an even larger shortage of officials due to many being considered 'high-risk' of the virus?

I’ll be more than willing to step up and work by *** off for my crew and both teams. 

4 hours ago, wabashalwaysfights said:

Not the same... not even close to the same as spring break. 

There is way more family traveling in the fall than you know.  I've heard from MIC schools who have said some big games were poorly attended because of fall break.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Raven67 said:

Because it's football season

No, it's largely because of the weather.

5 hours ago, Staxawax said:

There is way more family traveling in the fall than you know.  I've heard from MIC schools who have said some big games were poorly attended because of fall break.

Thats all well and good, and I'm sure there are dips, but I think if I'm unaware of how much family traveling there is on fall break, you are equally unaware or are underestimating how much more family traveling there is in spring break. Part of that too is the extended time of Spring break; many if not most schools now have a two week spring break and while you would think that would mean that the break becomes "enclosed" (that is, kids won't miss school outside of that period) it doesn't. Sorry, but at the end of the day, comparing fall break to spring break is comparing apples to oranges. They are both fruit, both good for you, but they are definitely not the same. Spring break and fall break are both breaks in the school calendar, families will travel, but they are definitely not the same. Folks anticipate nicer weather in the spring, people set up their work schedule for spring break, which is often done years in advance. It just is not the same no matter how you slice it, and that's not going to change, even in a situation like this. If the powers that be still choose to flip the calendar for whatever reason, that's fine and it may work out, but this notion that everybody's going to abandon their traditional spring break plans just because football would be played in the spring is just not logical.

39 minutes ago, wabashalwaysfights said:

No, it's largely because of the weather.

Thats all well and good, and I'm sure there are dips, but I think if I'm unaware of how much family traveling there is on fall break, you are equally unaware or are underestimating how much more family traveling there is in spring break. Part of that too is the extended time of Spring break; many if not most schools now have a two week spring break and while you would think that would mean that the break becomes "enclosed" (that is, kids won't miss school outside of that period) it doesn't. Sorry, but at the end of the day, comparing fall break to spring break is comparing apples to oranges. They are both fruit, both good for you, but they are definitely not the same. Spring break and fall break are both breaks in the school calendar, families will travel, but they are definitely not the same. Folks anticipate nicer weather in the spring, people set up their work schedule for spring break, which is often done years in advance. It just is not the same no matter how you slice it, and that's not going to change, even in a situation like this. If the powers that be still choose to flip the calendar for whatever reason, that's fine and it may work out, but this notion that everybody's going to abandon their traditional spring break plans just because football would be played in the spring is just not logical.

We see this in the college ranks all the time.  Students start taking off for Spring Break usually the Wednesday/Thursday/Friday before Spring Break and often extend Spring Break into the Monday/Tuesday after Spring Break.  Instead of a week, it is easily a week and a half to two weeks.  It wouldn't be so bad except students are downright indignant if you happen to have anything due in the days before or after the break.  That has not really expanded  to the fall with the Fall Break as it's only two days, but Thanksgiving Break has started to become the new "Fall Spring Break."  Students start leaving in sizeable/noticeable numbers that Monday of Thanksgiving even though the university's break doesn't start until Wednesday.  I had a student complaining that I gave a make-up exam for a missed mid-term on that Monday.  A few semester's ago, I had a student complain that there was an exam on the Friday before Thanksgiving ... the week before ... because it interfered with their airline tickets that had been booked for the Thursday before Thanksgiving.  We are starting to see sizeable amounts of students just basically assuming that Thanksgiving Break is a whole week, even though it's just the Wednesday/Thursday/Friday and, recently, we've been seeing the creeping of students starting Thanksgiving Break into that week before Thanksgiving.  Oddly enough, we've not yet seen the creeping to students extending Thanksgiving Break on the back end, like they do with Spring Break.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/28/2020 at 1:48 PM, Raven67 said:

The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) has yet to see something similar in the United States, which has the greatest number of coronavirus infections and deaths."We are not aware of any reports of this phenomenon in the United States," Dr. Yvonne Maldonado, who chairs the academy's committee on infectious disease, said in an email, referring to a potential link between COVID-19 and Kawasaki-type symptoms.

Dr. Sean O’Leary, a paediatric infectious diseases expert at Children's Hospital Colorado who is part of that AAP committee, said his hospital has seen several cases of Kawasaki this year, but none in the more than 30 children admitted for COVID-19.

"Even if it is related, is a very rare complication," he said. "If it were more common, we'd already have a pretty good idea about it in the United States."

And in less than a week, it seems to have found its way here.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/05/health/nyc-children-hospitalized-inflammatory-coronavirus/index.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/05/dr-scott-gottlieb-kawasaki-disease-in-kids-may-have-coronavirus-link.html

8 hours ago, foxbat said:

15 kids in the whole city of New York? With this "pandemic" that New York had as the epicenter of death and horror....... only 15 kids got sick? 

2 minutes ago, Raven67 said:

15 kids in the whole city of New York? With this "pandemic" that New York had as the epicenter of death and horror....... only 15 kids got sick? 

A week ago you were citing a quote that no one in the US had seen what the UK saw.  While I appreciate that everyone wants to be positive, if we haven't learned anything from this episode is that the one thing that we can be sure of in the short-term is that there's little that we can be sure of. 

Kind of what someone else was posting just a little over two months ago in OOB about COVID in general.  Early in the process, before we knew; downplaying the potential.  A  post that didn't age very well as we are now over 70,000.  I honestly hope that you might be right and it doesn't go the same way ... forgive me though if I wait a while to see just where things may be headed before waiving it all off.

image.png.95b99be68f012b44ed785c480fd5d505.png

28 minutes ago, foxbat said:

A week ago you were citing a quote that no one in the US had seen what the UK saw.  While I appreciate that everyone wants to be positive, if we haven't learned anything from this episode is that the one thing that we can be sure of in the short-term is that there's little that we can be sure of. 

Kind of what someone else was posting just a little over two months ago in OOB about COVID in general.  Early in the process, before we knew; downplaying the potential.  A  post that didn't age very well as we are now over 70,000.  I honestly hope that you might be right and it doesn't go the same way ... forgive me though if I wait a while to see just where things may be headed before waiving it all off.

image.png.95b99be68f012b44ed785c480fd5d505.png

I'm not downplaying covid. In fact, I had Covid19. What we do know is that this was circling the earth even before the Chinese told anyone. France came out and said they had found covid in victims in early December. That was before Wuhan said anything. So as contagious as this appears to be there is no way that it wasn't here in the US then as well. We could be going through a second wave right now..  NO ONE KNOWS. That is the key thing here. UK reported like 30 kids.. now NY is saying they have 15...sooo the question is.. where has this "phenomena" been the last 5 months?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Raven67 said:

I'm not downplaying covid. In fact, I had Covid19. What we do know is that this was circling the earth even before the Chinese told anyone. France came out and said they had found covid in victims in early December. That was before Wuhan said anything. So as contagious as this appears to be there is no way that it wasn't here in the US then as well. We could be going through a second wave right now..  NO ONE KNOWS. That is the key thing here. UK reported like 30 kids.. now NY is saying they have 15...sooo the question is.. where has this "phenomena" been the last 5 months?

That would raise more questions than it answers and would pose a potentially scarier scenario than we are in right now.  Let's assume that it's been in the US since December and that the first two deaths didn't show up until March.  That would suggest outside of it actually arriving in any real force in the US until later on 1) either an extremely long incubation period or 2) quick mutation.  In the first case, that seems unlikely given what we know now.  That potentially leaves the second scenario, which fits in with your position that this is actually a second wave that we are seeing.  That would be extremely scary depending on how you look at it.  If it's been here since December and we are just seeing the numbers now that we're seeing, then for all of our science, etc. we did a p*ss poor job seeing something like this coming and blunting it.  And frankly, it doesn't matter whether the Chinese gave advanced notice or not ... no one gives advanced notice in a championship game that they are going to run a trick play ... if you are good, then you are ready for it. 

On the other hand, let's assume that it was here in December and this, 70,000+ in two months over two months after its appearance, is a "second wave."  Why didn't produce similar numbers in January/February that it did in late-March/April ... especially in a city like New York City?  The argument could likely be, it was here, but in a different form ... and that would be the scary part ... that something like this mutated in just 2-3 months.  If this thing mutated that quickly and dangerously, which I don't believe is the case although the fact that it will mutate is likely, then this thing will have more than just two waves and the next one could possibly morph toward attacking a more resistant group to its original form ... and that would also explain where this "phenomena" has been for the last 5 months.  Like you said, no one knows.  And, until we start getting better at knowing, I think dismissing or perhaps downplaying things that are showing up in a time of not knowing is riskier than being prepared to deal with it in case it isn't able to be dismissed.  At this point, not dismissing it and looking at it provides less risk than dismissing it.  The impact on kids may be nothing and, like I said in my previous post, I honestly hope that you are correct.  If those kids in the UK and NY are the canary in the coalmine, just like those two folks in late-February/early-March were, it provides for a much scarier scenario.

• Like 1

Just a thought, and if I have missed it in the thread I apologize.  If Indiana pushes back the start date of school for some period of time...there would definitely be an impact for those of us who play games out of state if those states don't follow the exact same delay strategy (or vise versa).

• Like 1