Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Something uplifting - v2

Irishman

Still hope for us as a country ... and as decent people:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/1000-mourners-attend-funeral-unaccompanied-veteran/story?id=60675971

FTA:

The funeral of an unaccompanied veteran in Killeen, Texas, was attended by more than 1,000 people -- including hundreds of bikers -- after a cemetery put out a call on social media asking strangers to come pay their respects.

The Central Texas State Veterans Cemetery asked the public to attend Air Force Veteran Joseph Walker’s funeral on Facebook after failing to reach any of his family members or friends.

• Like 2

Not the typical article to find here, but definitely worth posting here. So many puns to go with it. How great it would be to keep the fire burning at 96, right? 😄

https://worldnewsdailyreport.com/elderly-couple-accidentally-burns-house-down-during-sex-game-involving-ww2-flamethrower/?fbclid=IwAR1T_MZg-yek_aqUHNAddfDPLvRIZjI85O_avwd6piAzwdjsh40urI39sFk

• Thanks 1

Opportunities for small acts of kindness present themselves every day ... just have to keep an eye out for them:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/police-officer-films-three-young-men-helping-elderly-woman-street-grandmother-122702539.html

FTA:

Officer Kenesha Carnegie of the Levy County Sheriff’s Office in Bronson, Fla., was in Williston on Monday when she saw the friends helping Rose Griest, 89, get into her car, which her 100-year-old husband, David, had parked at a gas station. The couple of 20 years stopped to use the restroom on their way home from Perry to Orlando, where Rose had a medical appointment.  

• Like 1

Another small act of kindness between generations ... this one from older to younger:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/dad-says-man-bonded-toddler-airport-showed-kindness-compassion-001127653.html

FTA:

On Saturday, Kevin Armentrout, a public speaker in Las Vegas, wrote a Facebook post about a traveler named Joseph Wright, a field sales manager at Samsung in Oklahoma, who took joy in entertaining his 16-month-old daughter, Carter Jean, at the airport.

“Last night, while waiting to board our plane, [Carter Jean] was being her usual inquisitive self wanting to meet and say ‘hi’ to everyone she could, until she walked up on this man,” Armentrout wrote. “He reached out and asked if she wanted to sit with him. He pulled out his tablet and showed her how to draw with it, they watched cartoons together, and she offered him snacks. This wasn’t a short little exchange, this was 45 minutes. Watching them in that moment, I couldn’t help but think, different genders, different races, different generations, and the best of friends. This is the world I want for her.”

• 2 weeks later...

Mom records heartwarming video of police officer playing with dolls with girls who 'were afraid of cops'

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/mom-records-heartwarming-video-police-officer-playing-dolls-girls-afraid-cops-180026210.html

FTA:

Roper-Boswell said Fleming and the children first became acquainted when emergency crews responded to a gas leak at her apartment complex. Once the leak was declared not a threat, and Fleming realized everyone was safe, he started talking with the residents of the complex as he often does. “I was telling him that my daughter, my niece and some of the other children here were afraid of cops,” Roper-Boswell told WTVR.

So when Fleming spotted the kids playing outside — and after getting their parents’ permission — he went over to them, got down on the ground and started playing too. First he joined a group of boys who were coloring, and then with the girls who were playing with dolls. Surprised by the sight of the 42-year-old officer making himself comfortable on his belly with his legs crossed like a kid, she grabbed her phone and started recording a video — which happened to take place on Valentine’s Day.

But it was all in a day’s work for Fleming, who told Yahoo Lifestyle, “I’m a dad of three girls. I’ve gotten toes painted, exfoliated with mud masks, danced in princess dresses with makeup, tea parties, etc. Doll babies are like second nature to me. So me and the girls were having a blast.”

The little boys, he said, reminded him of his 4-year-old son, a SpongeBob SquarePants fan. “When I noticed the young men coloring pages filled with those particular characters I just asked if I could join in because my son was in love with these characters,” he said. “They allowed me to choose one to fill in the color, and while we did that we ended up singing the theme song together. It was the best part of my day, hands down. All of these children were so polite and kind and compassionate with me and with each other.  They shared their toys, their crayons, their laughs with me.”

But Fleming has been humble in the face of all the attention he’s received since the video went viral. “Y’all give me more credit than I deserve, but I do appreciate the love,” he replied to the well-wishers. “Plus who doesn’t like playing and coloring with kids?!? It’s probably my favorite thing to do. They were so kind to me, and I’m so thankful they allowed me to play with them today.”

Though he takes the praise in stride, Fleming does realize the gravity of his actions. “For me to be a catalyst for young people, regardless of race, color, creed, religion,” Fleming said. “I feel that I could be a positive change.”

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/teens-praised-teaching-boy-autism-skateboard-birthday-brought-tears-100043417.html

FTA:

A mother from South Brunswick, N.J. shared an emotional note on her community’s Facebook page after a recent experience with her son, 5-year-old Carter, at a skatepark.

Kristen Braconi took Carter, who is on the autism spectrum and has ADHD, and his behavioral therapist to the park to celebrate his fifth birthday, where a group of older kids noticed him playing on his scooter. The teens took it upon themselves to teach Carter how to skateboard.

“They were absolutely amazing with him and included him and were so beyond kind it brought me to tears,” the mother shared on Facebook, including a few videos from the day. “I caught a video of them singing [“Happy Birthday”] to my son and one of the kids gave him a mini skateboard and taught him how to use it. I can’t even begin to thank these kids for being so kind and showing him how wonderful people can be to complete strangers.”

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/01/health/minnesota-boy-robotics-car-trnd/index.html

FTA:

Due to a genetic condition, Cillian Jackson, 2, can't walk. But the Minnesota boy now motors around in style, thanks to some enterprising students at his local high school.

It all started when Cillian's physical therapist told his parents about a program called Go Baby Go, which provides modified toy cars to children with limited mobility.

They looked into it, but there wasn't a Go Baby Go chapter near the Jackson family's home in Farmington. And motorized wheelchairs can cost more than $1,000.

So the parents turned to the robotics team at Farmington High School and asked if the students would be willing to take on the project.

The students accepted the challenge. Using plans and models from Go Baby Go, they got to work, modifying a Power Wheels toy car to fit little Cillian and give him more freedom in his movements.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/men-ask-widow-to-share-a-meal-and-the-internet-believes-it-shows-true-compassion-132549254.html

FTA:

An Alabama man noticed that a woman was sitting alone at a restaurant and he invited her to eat with him and his friends — not knowing that the widow would have been celebrating her 60th anniversary the next day.

Howard's parting words on the simple act of kindness were, "The point in this is always be kind and be nice to people. You never know what they are going through," and, he added, to visit your parents and grandparents.

• Like 1

https://fox2now.com/2019/04/30/hummingbird-returns-every-year-to-visit-georgia-man-who-nursed-him-back-to-health/?fbclid=IwAR1F0BCigDKjcpvqT7Ht-TfFoeabVn39DP3_0p1F6HJbu2viafOEG0uaIOg

GROVETOWN, Ga. – A Georgia man welcomed back an old friend—a hummingbird he helped nurse back to health four years ago.

Mike Cardenaz says the hummingbird, nicknamed “Buzz,” migrates south every year and always finds his way back around this time of the year.

The former SWAT officer may not look like a guy who loves animals, but he told WRDWthat people call him “Dr. Doolittle” because of his fondness for creatures great and small.

The flowers on the porch at his home in Grovetown attract hummingbirds. Four years ago, he found one in need of help.

“Several of his feathers in his wings were broken off and he couldn't take flight,” Cardenaz said.

Cardenaz provided Buzz with a safe place to heal and nursed him back to health with Pedialyte and sugar.

“I had to wait until he molted and regrew new wings. That was eight weeks. And he became a part of the family,” Cardenaz said.

Buzz regained his strength and finally took off for the winter. He’s come back to visit for the last four years. Cardenaz was a little concerned—Buzz was a week or two later than normal this time.

“I was kind of worried about him and I was on the front porch, sweeping off the front porch and I felt something zoom around my head. I stood on the front porch, put my hand out, and he landed on my hand,” he said.

How can he be sure it’s the same hummingbird?

It’s pretty simple, according to Cardenaz.

“Random hummingbirds don't land in your hand.”

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Photo of 8-year-old helping overwhelmed classmate with autism on first day of school goes viral: 'He was kind to me'

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/photo-of-8-yearold-helping-overwhelmed-classmate-with-autism-on-first-day-of-school-goes-viral-he-was-kind-to-me-001348001.html

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...