Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Greenfield Reporter

If the article is incorrect with any facts, then I hope they run a different one in the upcoming days to clarify any mistake...

Two pictures in the photo gallery clearly present the fact social distancing is not taking place - No dates are given with the pictures, but it's not illogical to assume they coincide with the dates of the article (4/6).

1. Picture 2 in the gallery Appears to be in a public park - assume it is before restrictions were put in place, but article does not clarify that at all
  2. Picture 4 in the gallery Appears to be at a person's home with their own personal equipment - again I assume it is before restrictions were put in place, but article does not clarify that at all

Another statement in the article could be perceived as troublesome - "the group cleared the Dragons’ weight room the morning of March 13 and initiated an offsite workout routine until school resumed."  Does that mean they reallocated the school's weightroom (or parts of it) to an off-campus location and players are organizing/running workouts from said location?

Article states a specific New Pal" family has invited players into their home where they have a weight room and an indoor basketball court." - Article was published on 4/6.  Again, this invitation existed after numerous gyms have closed across the states and all professional/college teams have shut down all operations, based on when the article was presented.

Article cites four current players that "have shared their weight equipment with teammates in limited groups of 3-4 at a time."  - Article published on 4/6 and highlights travel that wouldn't be deemed essential.

On the first day of group runs in mid-March, nearly 40 players showed up to voluntarily participate.  -  Again not on coaches as the article states voluntarily, but that is not the issue.  Thousands of people had to abruptly adjust their lifestyle based on what was being ordered by state leaders.  Participation in this workout shouldn't be applauded (which is the general tone of the article), but rather used as an experience to learn from.

Citing two specific players..."the players often break into position groups during their brief small, group meetings."  -  Are these happening online?  Or is the park still a meeting point?  If it is the latter, position group meetings are not essential travel.

“A lot of guys have been trying to find ways to lift at their house or in groups of two or three will have them lifting at someone’s house." -  Groups of two or three is an effective practice of social distancing, but traveling to do it???

Again, the article was published on 4/6, which is many days after we've been on essential travel only guidelines.  We can only assume that traveling to "small-group workouts/meetings" has taken place based on the facts in the article and when it was published.  This article is either poorly written/worded or it is celebrating small-scale violations of the stay at home order.  I am not a keyboard warrior...I read the article and I stated the facts presented in the article.  It's been great seeing the High School Sports Community rally on social media and see the numerous different ways High School Athletes are able to work out/adjust to this crisis (and based on New Pal's track record, I'm sure they have dozens of kids safely working hard!!!), but I question why the article celebrates travel to work out or any meeting/voluntary work-out that took place between mid-March to today.  These issues are not for the coaches to fix, advise on, or stop, but they need to be stopped nonetheless for the next few weeks.

55 minutes ago, irishuncle411 said:

If the article is incorrect with any facts, then I hope they run a different one in the upcoming days to clarify any mistake...

Two pictures in the photo gallery clearly present the fact social distancing is not taking place - No dates are given with the pictures, but it's not illogical to assume they coincide with the dates of the article (4/6).

1. Picture 2 in the gallery Appears to be in a public park - assume it is before restrictions were put in place, but article does not clarify that at all
  2. Picture 4 in the gallery Appears to be at a person's home with their own personal equipment - again I assume it is before restrictions were put in place, but article does not clarify that at all

Another statement in the article could be perceived as troublesome - "the group cleared the Dragons’ weight room the morning of March 13 and initiated an offsite workout routine until school resumed."  Does that mean they reallocated the school's weightroom (or parts of it) to an off-campus location and players are organizing/running workouts from said location?

Article states a specific New Pal" family has invited players into their home where they have a weight room and an indoor basketball court." - Article was published on 4/6.  Again, this invitation existed after numerous gyms have closed across the states and all professional/college teams have shut down all operations, based on when the article was presented.

Article cites four current players that "have shared their weight equipment with teammates in limited groups of 3-4 at a time."  - Article published on 4/6 and highlights travel that wouldn't be deemed essential.

On the first day of group runs in mid-March, nearly 40 players showed up to voluntarily participate.  -  Again not on coaches as the article states voluntarily, but that is not the issue.  Thousands of people had to abruptly adjust their lifestyle based on what was being ordered by state leaders.  Participation in this workout shouldn't be applauded (which is the general tone of the article), but rather used as an experience to learn from.

Citing two specific players..."the players often break into position groups during their brief small, group meetings."  -  Are these happening online?  Or is the park still a meeting point?  If it is the latter, position group meetings are not essential travel.

“A lot of guys have been trying to find ways to lift at their house or in groups of two or three will have them lifting at someone’s house." -  Groups of two or three is an effective practice of social distancing, but traveling to do it???

Again, the article was published on 4/6, which is many days after we've been on essential travel only guidelines.  We can only assume that traveling to "small-group workouts/meetings" has taken place based on the facts in the article and when it was published.  This article is either poorly written/worded or it is celebrating small-scale violations of the stay at home order.  I am not a keyboard warrior...I read the article and I stated the facts presented in the article.  It's been great seeing the High School Sports Community rally on social media and see the numerous different ways High School Athletes are able to work out/adjust to this crisis (and based on New Pal's track record, I'm sure they have dozens of kids safely working hard!!!), but I question why the article celebrates travel to work out or any meeting/voluntary work-out that took place between mid-March to today.  These issues are not for the coaches to fix, advise on, or stop, but they need to be stopped nonetheless for the next few weeks.

It is touching that you are so concerned about the health of the New Pal players and community. Good on ya...

Ps...I have no idea what’s true/not true/why the article was even written in the first place. Any person with a brain would know it’s gonna bring up question marks?? 

1 hour ago, irishuncle411 said:

I mean, come on now, just check Coach Ralph’s TWITTER!!!

Here is Coach Ralph's Twitter response:

So apparently the article today has sparked some “excitement” from many people in the area. To be honest I normally am not interested in keyboard warriors opinions of me as they judge from behind their electronic screens. However, they’ve attacked my players integrity & mine...

So, here is the reality:
1) This pandemic is serious, I understand that. I enforce the rules with my family.
2) That interview was documented & photos taken from BEFORE March 23rd. This was well before more pressing legislature was handed down.
3) I care about my players safety.
Keyboard Warriors Rant Continued...
4) I NEVER ordered my players workout alone or in groups. Learn to read. It clearly states PLAYERS organized this.
5) I sent a Remind 101 message to parents stating “Use your own parental discretion as to what your son can do.”
KW Rant Part III:
6) I will absolutely NEVER waiver in my comments to my pride in seeing teenage kids I’m the leader of rally within hours of school being shut down and develop their OWN answer to a potential problem. I love my players like sons & to see their resolve was unreal.
KW Rant IV:
7) The players have transitioned with “social distancing” to working out in small groups or in isolation. Maybe we should applaud that sacrifice and not tear it down?
8. Comments of me being reckless & uncaring is disgusting. To say the same of my players is shameful.
Final KW Rant:
It’s all out here now. And I’m not taking it down because I will always stand behind my players & their actions good or bad. What they’re doing is what makes US great. Learn to gather facts before assuming. You have a problem come to me don’t hide behind a keyboard

Edited by Titan32

10 minutes ago, jets said:

It is touching that you are so concerned about the health of the New Pal players and community. Good on ya...

Ps...I have no idea what’s true/not true/why the article was even written in the first place. Any person with a brain would know it’s gonna bring up question marks?? 

I agree with you in why it was written in the first place, with tone/spin the article takes, and evidence it presents.  But it was written and it does raise certain questions and leaves a lot of truths unanswered.  It presents a lot of ways in which this team is working around social distancing, not despite social distancing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, irishuncle411 said:

I agree with you in why it was written in the first place, with tone/spin the article takes, and evidence it presents.  But it was written and it does raise certain questions and leaves a lot of truths unanswered.  It presents a lot of ways in which this team is working around social distancing, not despite social distancing.

I need to clarify my above comment - but by "this team" I am talking about the individual players choosing to implement workouts/meetings that involve travel to another persons residence, which is cited numerous times in the article.

41 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Here is Coach Ralph's Twitter response:

So apparently the article today has sparked some “excitement” from many people in the area. To be honest I normally am not interested in keyboard warriors opinions of me as they judge from behind their electronic screens. However, they’ve attacked my players integrity & mine...

So, here is the reality:
1) This pandemic is serious, I understand that. I enforce the rules with my family.
2) That interview was documented & photos taken from BEFORE March 23rd. This was well before more pressing legislature was handed down.
3) I care about my players safety.
Keyboard Warriors Rant Continued...
4) I NEVER ordered my players workout alone or in groups. Learn to read. It clearly states PLAYERS organized this.
5) I sent a Remind 101 message to parents stating “Use your own parental discretion as to what your son can do.”
KW Rant Part III:
6) I will absolutely NEVER waiver in my comments to my pride in seeing teenage kids I’m the leader of rally within hours of school being shut down and develop their OWN answer to a potential problem. I love my players like sons & to see their resolve was unreal.
KW Rant IV:
7) The players have transitioned with “social distancing” to working out in small groups or in isolation. Maybe we should applaud that sacrifice and not tear it down?
8. Comments of me being reckless & uncaring is disgusting. To say the same of my players is shameful.
Final KW Rant:
It’s all out here now. And I’m not taking it down because I will always stand behind my players & their actions good or bad. What they’re doing is what makes US great. Learn to gather facts before assuming. You have a problem come to me don’t hide behind a keyboard

Consider him "triggered."  Some really classy stuff in there.  Good thing he is a BIG GUY.

Any consequences for the writer of this article?

Article was written and pictures taken concerning the week after school closed. For NP that was March 13. Stay at home order issued March 23. Players have since adjusted and are doing what they and their families deem is safe. Some more strict than others. As I’m sure is going on in every football community across the state.

Edited by CaptainHook
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Then it appears the bigger issue is spin given by the Daily Reporter, evidence it gives to support the spin, and the date it was published.  Evidence it gives to show how this particular football program is moving forward despite a stay at home order can do nothing but raise questions/issues.  Looking solely at this article, I don't feel anything but concern/worry/anger can happen.  I am sure that those that applauded and/or attended the specific large group workouts before March 23rd wish that they now didn't happen.  I hope going forward all high school athletes in Indiana are able to work out solely from their own home and that the upcoming season is able to happen.  Stay safe everyone...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

Article was written and pictures taken concerning the week after school closed. For NP that was March 13. Stay at home order issued March 23. Players have since adjusted and are doing what they and their families deem is safe. Some more strict than others. As I’m sure is going on in every football community across the state.

Such a poorly timed article.  I agree that the liability falls on the reporter.  Obviously with the social distancing measures in place, it became nearly impossible to get "current" B roll footage/photos to support the piece but still really strange.  The date at the top of the article states 04/06.  Is this a monthly newspaper?

Ralph's response cleared things up but did him no favors outside of the New Pal community.  If you know you are doing the right thing, then take the high road as the leader of young men.  Instead, he went on a rant citing "KEYBOARD WARRIORS" (a group that he just joined) and even ended with the classic "say it to my face" the way a middle school kid would.

I think in this particular situation, with how wrong the article was and how sensitive the situation in our state and nation/world is he was extra adamant to protect his players from unwarranted "keyboard warriors" that were all over facebook/twitter I am sure.  

Listen folks, New Pal excellence has made them a target for anyone and everyone to nitpick anything and everything and I am sure Coach Ralph gets stuff sent his way online quite a bit and I do not blame him one bit for taking that stance with his program under attack 

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I think in this particular situation, with how wrong the article was and how sensitive the situation in our state and nation/world is he was extra adamant to protect his players from unwarranted "keyboard warriors" that were all over facebook/twitter I am sure.  

Listen folks, New Pal excellence has made them a target for anyone and everyone to nitpick anything and everything and I am sure Coach Ralph gets stuff sent his way online quite a bit and I do not blame him one bit for taking that stance with his program under attack 

There were a lot of comments outside of this forum that crossed many lines. It went as far as someone publicly saying the boys were brain damaged. I believe that is why you saw such a strong and somewhat emotional response from Coach Ralph. I certainly do not want to speak for him, but you will be hard pressed to find a man who cares for and loves his players more than him. He would never put them in harms way and will do anything he can to protect them and have their back. 

Edited by Coach Harvey
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Coach Harvey said:

Is it football season yet?

I know this is probably blasphemy, but let's get through baseball first. 😀

A couple of the parents on my younger son's travel squad posted the following pics concerning baseball season:

image.thumb.png.a4927d3ab9f7f20fa1bca7ac08f53bb1.png

image.thumb.png.b81f3a2d9db248957645c3a7a6976b5e.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Coach Harvey said:

There were a lot of comments outside of this forum that crossed many lines. It went as far as someone publicly saying the boys were brain damaged. I believe that is why you saw such a strong and somewhat emotional response from Coach Ralph. I certainly do not want to speak for him, but you will be hard pressed to find a man who cares for and loves his players more than him. He would never put them in harms way and will do anything he can to protect them and have their back. 

So if someone attacks one of Ralph's players on social media going forward, does that player now have justification to react the same way that his coach did?  Keyboard warriors are everywhere and most of the time do not warrant a response.  Many of them are nameless but Ralph's response showed vulnerability to me.  Why give them the time of day if you know you are doing the right thing?  Seems beneath him.

2 minutes ago, Temptation said:

So if someone attacks one of Ralph's players on social media going forward, does that player now have justification to react the same way that his coach did?  Keyboard warriors are everywhere and most of the time do not warrant a response.  Many of them are nameless but Ralph's response showed vulnerability to me.  Why give them the time of day if you know you are doing the right thing?  Seems beneath him.

I think the confusing timeline of a published article in the media contributed to that. Needed a response.

Edited by CaptainHook

16 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

I think the confusing timeline of a published article in the media contributed to that. Needed a response.

I could see that, no doubt.  Just thought he could have done it in a bit classier of a manner.  Obviously folks got under his skin.

3 hours ago, jets said:

Question asked and answered.

The reporter, and most likely the newspaper, knew beforehand the wildfire this story would start.  "Journalism" these days.......

Man I love these threads. So Coach Ralph is 87-4 which equates to a 95.6% winning percentage since 2013. 3 state championships, with two being a division above, 1 state runner up in a division above and 1 state semi run. Of the 4 losses only one came against a team who didn’t play for a state championship. Columbus east #1, Snider, Columbus East #2 and Zionsville (only non state championship qualifier). Let’s also remember they knocked off a MIC power two years in a row. oh and should I forget they haven’t lost a regular season game since the barbaric, unsympathetic, should be removed by the IHSAA Coach Ralph stepped foot on campus. Needless to say the culture at New Palestine has been unbelievable over the last 7 years. What’s also great is that Coach Ralph isn’t a player so all the above is about those individuals who strap it up every Friday night to fight with their brothers next to them. They got Coach Ralph these records. What he has brought is an all in approach that you will do whatever it takes to be a New Pal Dragon for your brothers now and the future generations of Dragons to come. If you don’t want to buy into that then you don’t deserve to be a Dragon. 

So how does the above tie into this ludicrous, I’m sitting at home with nothing to do thread? Key words above: culture, brothers, future generations. The culture at New Pal isn’t going to change because times are hard right now. Everyone’s lives have been flipped upside down. These boys junior, sophomore and freshmen years are done. How about the spring sport athletes who no longer have a season and seniors who graduate without being able to showcase their talents one last time. Or what about others who have lost their jobs and fallen on hard times. Should they just quit, throw in the towel and say poor me. Let’s look at companies who are stepping up to the plate to help fight this horrendous virus: Rogue Fitness, Under Armour, NFL teams, NBA teams and the list goes on. Do you think they have a great culture? You better believe they do, they wouldnt be where they are today if they didn’t. They figured out a way to adapt to the times and continue their business culture. The culture that has been established isn’t going to let them quit and throw In the towel when times get tough. The young men at NP aren’t going to let that happen either because of the culture that has been set. Will they have to adapt just like companies are? Absolutely! We should celebrate this and not criticize. We should appreciate that these young men have bought into the culture so much that they don’t want to let their brothers down. These young men view their teammates as brothers. Ones they go to battle with day in and day out. Would you quit on your brother when times get tough? Would you want your brother to quit on you when times get tough? If you answered yes to both of these questions it might be time to look in the mirror. The future generations of Dragons see this and it’s what continues the culture for the next generation. If the culture starts to slip then it becomes the new norm and soon will become unrecognizable.

in closing, yes this virus is serious. Yes you should take all precautions. Should we go back to normal now, no, but we also shouldn’t change who we are. We need to adapt and attack each day like we did before this changed our world. And for those who call Coach a keyboard warrior too, pretty sure you know who he is based on his Twitter handle so he isn’t hiding. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ohiodragon said:

Man I love these threads. So Coach Ralph is 87-4 which equates to a 95.6% winning percentage since 2013. 3 state championships, with two being a division above, 1 state runner up in a division above and 1 state semi run. Of the 4 losses only one came against a team who didn’t play for a state championship. Columbus east #1, Snider, Columbus East #2 and Zionsville (only non state championship qualifier). Let’s also remember they knocked off a MIC power two years in a row. oh and should I forget they haven’t lost a regular season game since the barbaric, unsympathetic, should be removed by the IHSAA Coach Ralph stepped foot on campus. Needless to say the culture at New Palestine has been unbelievable over the last 7 years. What’s also great is that Coach Ralph isn’t a player so all the above is about those individuals who strap it up every Friday night to fight with their brothers next to them. They got Coach Ralph these records. What he has brought is an all in approach that you will do whatever it takes to be a New Pal Dragon for your brothers now and the future generations of Dragons to come. If you don’t want to buy into that then you don’t deserve to be a Dragon. 

So how does the above tie into this ludicrous, I’m sitting at home with nothing to do thread? Key words above: culture, brothers, future generations. The culture at New Pal isn’t going to change because times are hard right now. Everyone’s lives have been flipped upside down. These boys junior, sophomore and freshmen years are done. How about the spring sport athletes who no longer have a season and seniors who graduate without being able to showcase their talents one last time. Or what about others who have lost their jobs and fallen on hard times. Should they just quit, throw in the towel and say poor me. Let’s look at companies who are stepping up to the plate to help fight this horrendous virus: Rogue Fitness, Under Armour, NFL teams, NBA teams and the list goes on. Do you think they have a great culture? You better believe they do, they wouldnt be where they are today if they didn’t. They figured out a way to adapt to the times and continue their business culture. The culture that has been established isn’t going to let them quit and throw In the towel when times get tough. The young men at NP aren’t going to let that happen either because of the culture that has been set. Will they have to adapt just like companies are? Absolutely! We should celebrate this and not criticize. We should appreciate that these young men have bought into the culture so much that they don’t want to let their brothers down. These young men view their teammates as brothers. Ones they go to battle with day in and day out. Would you quit on your brother when times get tough? Would you want your brother to quit on you when times get tough? If you answered yes to both of these questions it might be time to look in the mirror. The future generations of Dragons see this and it’s what continues the culture for the next generation. If the culture starts to slip then it becomes the new norm and soon will become unrecognizable.

in closing, yes this virus is serious. Yes you should take all precautions. Should we go back to normal now, no, but we also shouldn’t change who we are. We need to adapt and attack each day like we did before this changed our world. And for those who call Coach a keyboard warrior too, pretty sure you know who he is based on his Twitter handle so he isn’t hiding. 

Thanks for joining the conversation Coach Ralph...