Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Shoulder Pad Replacement

11 minutes ago, boilerfan87 said:

We always had ours reconditioned every year. But we also purchased 5-10 each year new to phase out the oldest ones. That way, we didn't run into a situation where we needed a whole bunch of new shoulder pads at once. We did the same thing with helmets. 

Same here 

• Like 1

On 4/12/2020 at 11:56 AM, Coach Nowlin said:

Same here 

Out of curiosity, are there different pad styles for different player positions? I would assume a QB would not wear the same shoulder pads as a O or D lineman??

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, psaboy said:

Out of curiosity, are there different pad styles for different player positions? I would assume a QB would not wear the same shoulder pads as a O or D lineman??

Yes. As you can expect, lineman pads are larger and heavier duty. Skill guys are smaller for more mobility. There are QB specific shoulder pads. 

• Like 2

Yes different cuts at the chest plate to the shoulder area for different position groups to provide more free movement for QBs and Pass Catchers alike.   

Girdles these days are all in one.   Days of fighting Hip pads into cloth girdle's are long gone, sadly.   

7 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Yes different cuts at the chest plate to the shoulder area for different position groups to provide more free movement for QBs and Pass Catchers alike.   

Girdles these days are all in one.   Days of fighting Hip pads into cloth girdle's are long gone, sadly.   

HA! Never wore hip pads. Do you reckon there’s a correlation between that and a hip replacement at 50?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/14/2020 at 10:05 PM, Impartial_Observer said:

HA! Never wore hip pads. Do you reckon there’s a correlation between that and a hip replacement at 50?

Rod Woodson says he never wore pads below the shoulders.  If true, I wonder how much he's had replaced. 

Edited by Robert
clarification
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I never wore knee pads either, and no real problems, a little art that requires a shot once in a while.

No offense intended.  Did you bring it for as many years as he did?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Well obviously if my HS coached hadn’t screwed me, I’m quite certain I would have had a long and storied NFL career.

He must not have yelled at you enough. You're still out there getting yelled at on Friday nights!

• Haha 1