Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Pike Coaching Update

Guest DT

12 hours ago, DT said:

I think you are short changing McWhorter's accomplishments.

The HCC is a tough nut, and Zionsville is the smallest school in the conference.  They more than hold their own.  But the record is the record.  Im happy with the content of my analysis.  Certainly don't need your approval in that regard.  

For most of McWhorter's tenure they were NOT the smallest HCC school (Westfield).  And the gap in size between them and other schools, particularly HSE/Fishers was much closer than it is today.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2019 at 8:19 AM, DT said:

It's too bad we don't have more members to weigh in this topic.  The GIDs self implosion has run off the vast majority of the membership, most of which will never be seen here again.  

It's now up to us to do the heavy lifting and keep this site off of life support

Sure... But quality over quantity.

It's a good hire to anyone who can look deeper than the top line of their team schedule on John Harrell's website.

3 hours ago, Hoosier Hawk said:

Sure... But quality over quantity.

It's a good hire to anyone who can look deeper than the top line of their team schedule on John Harrell's website.

No doubt a "good" hire.

Pike needed a "great" hire.  

Similar to what North Central did.  And look at the results.  

NORTH CENTRAL (INDIANAPOLIS)

2018 SEASON (9-3)
Coach: Kevin O'Shea
Aug. 17   Fishers W 31 7    
Aug. 24 at Hamilton Southeastern W 31 13    
Aug. 31   Warren Central L 27 58    
Sep. 7 at Lawrence North W 12 7    
Sep. 14 at Center Grove W 26 14    
Sep. 21   Carmel L 40 41 3OT  
Sep. 28 at Lawrence Central W 26 7    
Oct. 5   Pike W 40 37 OT  
Oct. 12   Ben Davis W 38 23    
Oct. 26 at Hamilton Southeastern W 41 12   sect
Nov. 2 at Fishers W 42 7   sect
Nov. 9   Warren Central L 32 42   regn
Edited by DT

What made Coach McWhorter's team great was they were not flashy. They did their work. You knew hat you would get a great game from them every time. Zionsville, Fishers, and HSE were fairly close in size early in the HCC. Zionsville's best asset was that they had a great coach. 

On 1/23/2019 at 12:22 AM, DT said:

I think you are short changing McWhorter's accomplishments.

The HCC is a tough nut, and Zionsville is the smallest school in the conference.  They more than hold their own.  But the record is the record.  Im happy with the content of my analysis.  Certainly don't need your approval in that regard.  

I think you are short changing Coach Ech's accomplishments.  Admittedly, my POV is biased, but I learned a lot from Coach Ech and am greatful to the opportunities he gave me at Zionsville.

Look at Coach Ech's seasons game by game.  Each year we accomplished one more thing.  We beat multiple teams for the first time under Ech's guidance.  This year we finished 3rd in the conference behind Avon and Brownsburg.  As Coach Nowlin said, consistent performance in our sectionals, but our admitted weakness was getting over the Regional hump.  Also the strength gains were a huge accomplishment.  No disrespect to any previous coaches before, but the strength differences to when Ech came in and where they are now are drastic.  You watch us on film and we were getting pushed around, even our strongest kids.  Even with undersized DL we were able to hold our own much better than before.

This is a great hire for Pike, and a great opportunity for Ech.  I think both the school and he won in this hire!  I wish him the best of luck this season.

Edited by LilUrb
  • Thanks 3