Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The Last Dance

Bobref

Interested to hear what some of my friends without Chicago connections thought of the first two episodes of “The Last Dance.” I was here during that time and, although I’m not a basketball fan, the Jordan phenomenon completely captivated me. I’m hoping this series will show the people who only know Jordan as a prolific scorer that his scoring was only a small part of the story. For me, the fascinating part was that a single player basically imposed his will on an entire league ... some would say, on an entire industry. I’m convinced we will never see his like again. I hope that comes through to the people who were only familiar with his stats, or who were too young to see it happening like I did.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Bobref said:

Interested to hear what some of my friends without Chicago connections thought of the first two episodes of “The Last Dance.” I was here during that time and, although I’m not a basketball fan, the Jordan phenomenon completely captivated me. I’m hoping this series will show the people who only know Jordan as a prolific scorer that his scoring was only a small part of the story. For me, the fascinating part was that a single player basically imposed his will on an entire league ... some would say, on an entire industry. I’m convinced we will never see his like again. I hope that comes through to the people who were only familiar with his stats, or who were too young to see it happening like I did.

I would agree that he changed the industry. One event points to that fact. The NBA has always been suspect in that the great players have long been shown a level of favoritism in getting calls. But one incident shifted the entire focus. Reggie Miller and MJ threw punches (did not really connect), but it was the shift to the era of if you swing, you sit. They were both suspended a game. I believe the Bulls were to be in Phoenix for the game MJ was out. The game was a sellout, but when word was published that Jordan would not play, refund requests came flying in. Stern even said the entertainment value of the league is too valuable. He placed more weight on that than he did competition. Jordan never even fouled out of a game after that. Don't get me wrong. I was never a Jordan or Bulls fan. Seeing what Stern's mindset has done to a franchise like the Pacers sickens me. There are still remnants of it to this day. I will never deny that Jordan is the GOAT. There is no question about that. But yes, he changed the industry. 

• Like 1

Agree Irish.  I gradeated HS in 85.  Jordan was in my wheelhouse and  I could not stand him.  I was never a big NBA guy but loved the Pacers.  I hated him and the Bulls. Got all the calls, travels every time he touched the ball, blah blah blah.  Never saw Wilt or Russell.  Jordan was the best I have seen, and it isn't even close.  My god did I just type that?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

I thought the ending to episode 7 was epic.....and along with talent and hard work, is why he is the GOAT.

This link has the clip of the ending.....wow!

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/05/michael-jordan-the-last-dance-incredible-seventh-episode

I was texting a friend at that moment and said pretty cool to see that he was so passionate about something then and he still reacts with strong emotion now. 

we were also messaging about the “compete” level he brought every day. It seems to be something missing from the game today. Kobe may have been the last one to compete on that level. But even he was smart enough to lean on MJ through the years for advice. The game thrived in the era of MJ because there were a number of players that had a level of mental toughness that is lacking. Even Kobe said years ago just how much club leagues are ruining the game.