Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Caden Curry vs George Karlaftis - which has the bigger upside?

Guest DT

Karlaftis is the most highly regarded defensive recruit ever out of Indiana.  a 5 star talent who chose local favorite Purdue over national player Miami.

Big George ran roughshod over small school competition for 4 years at West Lafayette.  Is he the real deal ?  2020 season will be a huge year for GK as Coach Brohm is counting on the true sophomore to anchor a typically weak and anemic PU defensive line.

Caden Curry is enjoying his sophomore year at Center Grove and watching his recruiting rankings rise with every update.  The super soph is a 4 star talent, with room to grow into a 5 star over the next two seasons.  Curry plays in the rugged MIC, the Midwest's top high school football conference.

When its all over and done, I see Curry enjoying a long career in the NFL as a defensive end in the JJ Watt mode.  

Big George?  Not quite as big and strong at the major college level as he was playing 3A competition in high school.  Doesn't have the frame to carry 290 plus pounds., 

Edge goes to Curry

Your thoughts?

https://247sports.com/Player/Caden-Curry-46093621/

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/george-karlaftis-182043

1 hour ago, DT said:

Karlaftis is the most highly regarded defensive recruit ever out of Indiana.  a 5 star talent who chose local favorite Purdue over national player Miami.

Big George ran roughshod over small school competition for 4 years at West Lafayette.  Is he the real deal ?  2020 season will be a huge year for GK as Coach Brohm is counting on the true sophomore to anchor a typically weak and anemic PU defensive line.

Caden Curry is enjoying his sophomore year at Center Grove and watching his recruiting rankings rise with every update.  The super soph is a 4 star talent, with room to grow into a 5 star over the next two seasons.  Curry plays in the rugged MIC, the Midwest's top high school football conference.

When its all over and done, I see Curry enjoying a long career in the NFL as a defensive end in the JJ Watt mode.  

Big George?  Not quite as big and strong at the major college level as he was playing 3A competition in high school.  Doesn't have the frame to carry 290 plus pounds., 

Edge goes to Curry

Your thoughts?

https://247sports.com/Player/Caden-Curry-46093621/

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/george-karlaftis-182043

I mean “Big George” was only a Freshman All American, 2nd team All Big Ten, and led the country in TFL’s by a freshman. Don’t see the need to harp on George for playing 3A football and being the best player on an undefeated state champion team. The MIC argument is completely irrelevant since George has already played a season of Big Ten football and has shown what he can do. Im sure Curry and any D1 bound DE hopes they can have as good of a freshman year as George did. We all know the MIC is the best football conference in Indiana doesn’t change the fact George had a stellar freshmen year. Maybe Curry will end up being better, but don’t try and downplay George because he played in 3A when he was one of the best defensive players on a Big Ten team as an 18 year old.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bears62 said:

I mean “Big George” was only a Freshman All American, 2nd team All Big Ten, and led the country in TFL’s by a freshman. Don’t see the need to harp on George for playing 3A football and being the best player on an undefeated state champion team. The MIC argument is completely irrelevant since George has already played a season of Big Ten football and has shown what he can do. Im sure Curry and any D1 bound DE hopes they can have as good of a freshman year as George did. We all know the MIC is the best football conference in Indiana doesn’t change the fact George had a stellar freshmen year. Maybe Curry will end up being better, but don’t try and downplay George because he played in 3A when he was one of the best defensive players on a Big Ten team as an 18 year old.

Good points.  I wonder if GK had great numbers because he had no help on that PU defense.

11 minutes ago, Bears62 said:

George will be fine.  Hopefully his brother Yanni will also be wearing old gold and black sometime soon.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NE8_Fan said:

Man I will never get trying to downplay one kid in an attempt to boost another.....smh

And the no help comment doesn't make sense. Wouldn't that mean teams could put more focus on George? It's not like he has 2 or 3 NFL DL next to him that are taking up the focus of the O-Line.

2019 Purdue Roster: George Karlaftis, 6'4 265

2010 Purdue Roster: Ryan Kerrigan, 6'4 263

I like that comparison better than to a kid still playing HS football. 

Edited by Boilernation
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Grover said:

I would be okay without threads dissecting and/or making predictions of greatness for a 16 y/o kid.  Let him be a kid.

Absolutely!  If the football thing works out for him, great.  But if not, there are other things out there as well...

Unbelievable.  You Snowflakes are too shy to talk about anything around here anymore.  Everything is off limits.  No one is allowed to be offended.  We live in perfect utopia here on The GID.  This place has become unworthy of my contributions.  I'll take my talents elsewhere.

17 minutes ago, DT said:

Unbelievable.  You Snowflakes are too chickenshit to talk about anything around here anymore.  Everything is off limits.  No one is allowed to be offended. 

Agreed. It's all about feelings, all of the time.

Edited by Muda69
  • Disdain 2

17 minutes ago, DT said:

Unbelievable.  You Snowflakes are too chickenshit to talk about anything around here anymore.  Everything is off limits.  No one is allowed to be offended.  We live in perfect utopia here on The GID.  This place has become unworthy of my contributions.  I'll take my talents elsewhere.

Buh-bye

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Grover said:

I would be okay without threads dissecting and/or making predictions of greatness for a 16 y/o kid.  Let him be a kid.

The meat-market talent grading systems out there have been doing this for decades,  yet somehow it is verboten for such a discussion on a high school football forum.  Incredible.

• Thanks 1
  • Disdain 3

4 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

The meat-market talent grading systems out there have been doing this for decades,  yet somehow it is verboten for such a discussion on a high school football forum.  Incredible.

We are heading towards a time where The GID will basically be an announcement board for open coaching and teaching positions.  The lack of decent conversation and debate is a natural occurence given the shift away from email-desktop communication to text-handheld device.  It is what it is, unfortunately

I see nothing wrong with the conversation of this type

I do not see how talking about the incredible upside and talent of Curry and how it likens to previous player in Karlaftis is bad thing   

Folks make predictions all time.   As mentioned, sites make money on this,  CAMPS make huge money off teenagers

Its an honest question of a user who wanted to started a conversation about the next big DE since GK3 and how it could translate down the road.   

DT purposely left off GK freshman accolades, why....  because he knew someone would jump and and talk about it, which then leads to more discussion.   Nothing disparaging about this conversations.   

But there is a one truth around here:   DT posts a thread, then folks will come on and yell at him without adding anything to the conversation, that is a fact, so if you have nothing to say about the topic other than yelling at DT then maybe just do not post in said topic.   

My take on it:   GK got his rankings by dominating the summer camp circuit, not by playing in the Hoosier Conference, folks who think rankings are by what happens during the regular season or post season have their head in the sand.  Its a SMALL part of it.  Camp drills, combine testing numbers, gets you on the radar, then game film.   

I look for GK to make a better step against the run as a sophomore at PU.   I think the added weight and experience will help in that regard.   Curry has a lot of tools to be successful as well, time will tell how it all pans out.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I do not see how talking about the incredible upside and talent of Curry and how it likens to previous player in Karlaftis is bad thing   

Folks make predictions all time.   As mentioned, sites make money on this,  CAMPS make huge money off teenagers

Its an honest question of a user who wanted to started a conversation about the next big DE since GK3 and how it could translate down the road.   

DT purposely left off GK freshman accolades, why....  because he knew someone would jump and and talk about it, which then leads to more discussion.   Nothing disparaging about this conversations.   

But there is a one truth around here:   DT posts a thread, then folks will come on and yell at him without adding anything to the conversation, that is a fact, so if you have nothing to say about the topic other than yelling at DT then maybe just do not post in said topic.   

My take on it:   GK got his rankings by dominating the summer camp circuit, not by playing in the Hoosier Conference, folks who think rankings are by what happens during the regular season or post season have their head in the sand.  Its a SMALL part of it.  Camp drills, combine testing numbers, gets you on the radar, then game film.   

I look for GK to make a better step against the run as a sophomore at PU.   I think the added weight and experience will help in that regard.   Curry has a lot of tools to be successful as well, time will tell how it all pans out.  

Possibly, but I also saw his comments as a thinly-veiled swipe at Purdue.  George and the new DC Diaco will make the defense better.  One more thing, injuries were a big part of last year, too...

10 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Enjoy babysitting your herd of Snowflakes

I certainly wouldnt want to offend anyone by adding to this egregious thread

11 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Which leads to more discussion.

Just now, gonzoron said:

Which leads to more discussion.

yells about the topic or yell at him the person, there is a difference as you know 

Our states great players are always going to be under a microscope throughout the many communication avenues, GID being one of those.  

11 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

so if you thought it was a "swipe" at Purdue, your choices are 

Defend your position on why you find that message faulty 

or

Say nothing 

Attacking the poster without adding anything to the thread does nothing 

Calling Purdue’s defensive line weak and anemic isn’t actually what I’d call accurate given Purdue’s history of quality ends on that side of the ball.