Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Football Stadium Lights on May 1st to honor the Class of 2020

Heard a radio interview yesterday morning with our Michigan City Area School superintendent Dr. Barbara Eason-Watkins.  She said that on Friday May 1st that they are going to turn the lights on at Ames Field to honor the Class of 2020.  Apparently this is something that several schools are going do to across the state.

She also stated that May 4-8th is teacher appreciation week and has requested to all local business owners that have a marquee our storefront window to display a sign of support to our teachers.  This is something similar that is very commonly done in many communities whenever a team makes a deep run in the IHSAA tournament.  

I was wondering if any of the other schools across the state are planning on doing something similar?

57 minutes ago, MarkCalaway said:

I hope the lighting of the football stadiums is not true.  If it is true, we have quickly diluted the power and reverence for the unique symbolism of such an event.  

I figured the idea was inspired by the schools across the state turning on their stadium lights on last year when coach Phillip Bowsman from West Washington funeral was taking place.

On 4/25/2020 at 8:49 AM, MarkCalaway said:

I hope the lighting of the football stadiums is not true.  If it is true, we have quickly diluted the power and reverence for the unique symbolism of such an event.  

Says someone who is not the parent of a class of 2020 senior, I would assume?

The Bowsman Strong movement was to honor a man who made a who difference on and off the field. It should remain reserved for men of honor on the gridiron. It should not be used as a movement every time someone in the state of Indiana wants to honor someone or something. It should be reserved for an elite level of situations. 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Coachhess said:

The Bowsman Strong movement was to honor a man who made a who difference on and off the field. It should remain reserved for men of honor on the gridiron. It should not be used as a movement every time someone in the state of Indiana wants to honor someone or something. It should be reserved for an elite level of situations. 

Would you say it could be used in unique situations? Situations that may (hopefully) never happen again?

3 hours ago, Bullhorn99 said:

Would you say it could be used in unique situations? Situations that may (hopefully) never happen again?

No.  Not unless that situation is involving a prominent member in the IFCA community. 

We lower the flag to half mast only for the most important (and that term is not the right one) dignitaries in our country.  We have holidays only for the most important people in history.  And, in my opinion, leaving the lights on should be reserved for a very select few situations/individuals. 

• Like 4

I 100% agree with Coachhess, the stadium lighting is something that should only be used for what it was intended for. I can tell you that South Dearborn Schools will not have our lights on. We are honoring our seniors, those who played football and those who attended our high school with individual yard signs (with their name on them) and our teachers and coaches are delivering them to their house on Friday.