Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Another reason the "MIC is KING"...

37 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Nothing personal at all.  Just sketchy.  My district actually has competitive wages and pays folks what they are worth...

Whether they are teaching kindergarten students lifetime reading skills, helping students pass state mandated standardized tests, or sitting in a weight room all day dissecting film for the big Friday night contest, it’s all relative to priorities I guess...

Ok ok so now I finally see the motivation behind this thread. You believe there should be a “sliding scale” so-to-speak in terms of teacher pay. And it should be correlated to what exactly?? I tend to agree that a classroom teacher hard at it with 6 classes a day has a lot more on their plate with planning, grading, data charts, etc than say a PE/Strength teacher- but how could you possibly justify a change in salary structure?? Ain’t happening 

2 hours ago, Temptation said:

Delusion at its finest.  A small bump?  Two head coaches above are making 25+k MORE than the top of the pay scale in their district.

You also know that teacher’s license credentials and specific job titles are also public info on the DOE right?

Check it out for yourself...the numbers just don’t add up.”

Simply put, I would guess that they are being compensated for time spent outside of the classroom with their coaching stipends.   I can guarantee that a well ran strength program reaches far beyond the walls of the weight room itself.  The time that it takes to plan, the daily set-up, the daily break down, and the professional development of a highly effective strength coach could and should compare to that of a highly effective classroom teacher. The difference of the two, in my opinion, would be the time that it takes to run a highly effective football program 365 days a year.  I would also say that for programs/coaches that are interested in developing all of their student-athletes, the football coach/strength coach is not sitting on a computer while the student-athletes train.  That film work is likely done late at night, after his own kids have gone to bed.   I applaud the school districts who competitively compensate these coaches, who are managing programs of 125-175 student-athletes,  for the time and effort that they spend outside of the school to effectively manage their programs! 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

My concern would be not one of money, but of "perks".  In South Bend, the head football coach gets one extra prep in the fall.  I would assume the coaches in the MIC have the same perk.

That is likely a correct assumption. I know a number of people in other roles that get an extra prep because of the time commitment involved with the program or club. Student council reps, department chairs, other head coaches(not just football), association presidents, and marching band director Are just a few that come to mind. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, CoachShanley said:

Simply put, I would guess that they are being compensated for time spent outside of the classroom with their coaching stipends.   I can guarantee that a well ran strength program reaches far beyond the walls of the weight room itself.  The time that it takes to plan, the daily set-up, the daily break down, and the professional development of a highly effective strength coach could and should compare to that of a highly effective classroom teacher. The difference of the two, in my opinion, would be the time that it takes to run a highly effective football program 365 days a year.  I would also say that for programs/coaches that are interested in developing all of their student-athletes, the football coach/strength coach is not sitting on a computer while the student-athletes train.  That film work is likely done late at night, after his own kids have gone to bed.   I applaud the school districts who competitively compensate these coaches, who are managing programs of 125-175 student-athletes,  for the time and effort that they spend outside of the school to effectively manage their programs! 

But this also insinuates that other folks who are in the classroom(grading/tutoring/etc), supervise extracurriculars, or coach other sports do not put in the same time commitment?  

Football is king and a successful program can go a long way, I get it but plenty of folks in education/coaching put in similar hours for MUCH less “compensation.”

Furthermore, the football coaches work hard and have a lot of responsibilities in terms of sheer number of student athletes which they serve, but the ratio of athletes to coaches is usually much lower (especially at the mega school level) than that of other activities.

Hell, I often see programs that have a 3/1 or 4/1 athlete to coach ratio...

Edited by Guest

32 minutes ago, Temptation said:

But this also insinuates that other folks who are in the classroom(grading/tutoring/etc), supervise extracurriculars, or coach other sports do not put in the same time commitment?  

Football is king and a successful program can go a long way, I get it but plenty of folks in education/coaching put in similar hours for MUCH less “compensation.”

As someone has already mentioned, many are compensated (I am sure competitively) for those extracurriculars that you mentioned and likely have a “perk” of additional prep periods as well.  I was not insinuating more or less effort, simply stating that it is a big undertaking to lead programs of that size/magnitude and doing what it takes to be highly effective at it. I am sure these schools understand the benefit and importance of education based athletics. They also likely understand the importance of having someone who is highly qualified leading their football program, along with the positive impact that a successful fall season can have on their community, school, etc. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Seems like Temptation wants to join the coaching ranks.    Seems like he is missing out on the giant pie !!!  

Those days are behind me coach.

Now if the head football coach was a department head...he would have three preps in the fall, his teaching prep, department head prep, and football coach prep.

I am also assuming all the head coaching in the MIC are teachers in a building.  Maybe they have lunch supervision, study hall supervision, etc...that could lead up to quite a pay day.

Also before you complain about the Indy area coaches...how about some love for the Gary/Calumet/St. Joe Valley coaches

• Like 1