Jump to content
Temptation

Another reason the "MIC is KING"...

Recommended Posts

Came across a topic of teacher salaries and unsure if folks know that public school teaching salaries are public information.  Decided to take a look at what the "best of the best" are making in terms of money.  Rounded the numbers and assume this calculates the stipends involved with coaching.  Most recent data is from 2018, so it does not take the most recent coaching changes at Pike and Lawrence Central into account.

Warren Central:  $98,000 (max salary on DOE is listed at 72k)

Carmel:  $94,000 (max salary on DOE is listed at 79k)

North Central:  $94,000 (max salary on DOE is listed at 85k)

Lawrence North:  $91,000 (max salary on DOE is listed at 80k)

Pike:  $90,000 (max salary on DOE is listed at 86k)

Center Grove:  $86,000 (max salary on DOE is listed at 72k)

Lawrence Central:  $62,000 (max salary on DOE is listed at 80k)

Ben Davis:  $55,000 (max salary on DOE is listed at 84k)


Some of these guys have paid their dues and may very well be near/at the "top of the pay scale" in terms of time in education, but my goodness this is embarrassing.  I love football and athletic in general as much as the next person and realize it generates a lot of revenue for the school/district./corporation but even I cannot justify this.  One corporation has its head coach listed as an "administrator" while most others are listed as teachers, strength coaches, etc...

Math adds up for most if you think about it.  Looks like most stipends for football are between 9-15k.

If only the public knew...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not just the MIC....

Brownsburg is listed as having a top of the pay scale at 81k, yet their head football coach makes 112k?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Temptation said:

Came across a topic of teacher salaries and unsure if folks know that public school teaching salaries are public information.  Decided to take a look at what the "best of the best" are making in terms of money.  Rounded the numbers and assume this calculates the stipends involved with coaching.  Most recent data is from 2018, so it does not take the most recent coaching changes at Pike and Lawrence Central into account.

Warren Central:  $98,000 (max salary on DOE is listed at 72k)

Carmel:  $94,000 (max salary on DOE is listed at 79k)

North Central:  $94,000 (max salary on DOE is listed at 85k)

Lawrence North:  $91,000 (max salary on DOE is listed at 80k)

Pike:  $90,000 (max salary on DOE is listed at 86k)

Center Grove:  $86,000 (max salary on DOE is listed at 72k)

Lawrence Central:  $62,000 (max salary on DOE is listed at 80k)

Ben Davis:  $55,000 (max salary on DOE is listed at 84k)


Some of these guys have paid their dues and may very well be near/at the "top of the pay scale" in terms of time in education, but my goodness this is embarrassing.  I love football and athletic in general as much as the next person and realize it generates a lot of revenue for the school/district./corporation but even I cannot justify this.  One corporation has its head coach listed as an "administrator" while most others are listed as teachers, strength coaches, etc...

Math adds up for most if you think about it.  Looks like most stipends for football are between 9-15k.

If only the public knew...

 

I’m confused as to the purpose of this post?? Are you upset with the amount that Head Coaches get paid? Upset with the teacher pay scale in general?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jets said:

I’m confused as to the purpose of this post?? Are you upset with the amount that Head Coaches get paid? Upset with the teacher pay scale in general?? 

Just eye opening, that's all.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Temptation said:

Not just the MIC....

Brownsburg is listed as having a top of the pay scale at 81k, yet their head football coach makes 112k?!

Craig Buzea pulling down approx 150K at Homewood Flossmoor.  Of course, the state is bankrupt, but I digress.  😀

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DT said:

Craig Buzea pulling down approx 150K at Homewood Flossmoor.  Of course, the state is bankrupt, but I digress.  😀

State money ≠ school district money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DanteEstonia said:

State money ≠ school district money.

Yep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This seem to be appropriate salaries for the level these coaches have achieved, the responsibility they have, and the amount of work they put in. It's equivalent to mod/senior manager positions at many companies in the Indy metro area.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, JustRules said:

This seem to be appropriate salaries for the level these coaches have achieved, the responsibility they have, and the amount of work they put in. It's equivalent to mod/senior manager positions at many companies in the Indy metro area.

🙄...Tell me more about their responsibilities please...especially from 7am-3pm...

Edited by Temptation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coach Moore is grossly underpaid if that is all he makes.  

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Grover said:

Coach Moore is grossly underpaid if that is all he makes.  

Yes, fellow educators in the district and non/ball sports coaches must agree and feel terrible for him.

Not surprised considering there were “Support Coach Moore” semi-trailers during “the scandal...”

🙄

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Coach Moore still the head coach for the track team as well? 

I get that on the surface these look high. I think people need to consider that part of the pay is going to based on all that a coach earns as a teacher. A coach may have a Master's degree that gets a small bump in pay. 

Personal perspective on the coaching pay. years ago, I received a 1099 Miscellaneous form for my pay. So, I sat down and figured my mileage from the school I was in to the building I coached. Including weight training 3 days a week, I spent 185 days doing something with the football team. That included the Summer workouts as well. Since then, I have kept track, and can say when the Summer rules expanded, the pay for most did not. I do know some districts will compensate their coaches for the time they spend in the Summer. That may factor in as well. 

Bottom line; similar to what we have to tell the politicians when it comes to education; there is more to the story than just numbers.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Is Coach Moore still the head coach for the track team as well? 

I get that on the surface these look high. I think people need to consider that part of the pay is going to based on all that a coach earns as a teacher. A coach may have a Master's degree that gets a small bump in pay. 

Personal perspective on the coaching pay. years ago, I received a 1099 Miscellaneous form for my pay. So, I sat down and figured my mileage from the school I was in to the building I coached. Including weight training 3 days a week, I spent 185 days doing something with the football team. That included the Summer workouts as well. Since then, I have kept track, and can say when the Summer rules expanded, the pay for most did not. I do know some districts will compensate their coaches for the time they spend in the Summer. That may factor in as well. 

Bottom line; similar to what we have to tell the politicians when it comes to education; there is more to the story than just numbers.  

While I tend to partially agree ($14k to coach track AND football is reasonable), there are TWO that stand out as egregious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Temptation said:

While I tend to partially agree ($14k to coach track AND football is reasonable), there are TWO that stand out as egregious.

You can go to the district sites to see what the stipends are exactly. They are part of every district contract, and are typically found under the Human Resources section. I looked up Pike's real quick, and $13,000 is the stipend for the Head coaches in Football, Boys' BBall, and Girls' BBall. 

Carmel's stipends are based on a percentage of the salary of a beginning teacher. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Temptation said:

While I tend to partially agree ($14k to coach track AND football is reasonable), there are TWO that stand out as egregious.

Those stipends would pay my rent for a YEAR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Irishman said:

Is Coach Moore still the head coach for the track team as well? 

I get that on the surface these look high. I think people need to consider that part of the pay is going to based on all that a coach earns as a teacher. A coach may have a Master's degree that gets a small bump in pay. 

Personal perspective on the coaching pay. years ago, I received a 1099 Miscellaneous form for my pay. So, I sat down and figured my mileage from the school I was in to the building I coached. Including weight training 3 days a week, I spent 185 days doing something with the football team. That included the Summer workouts as well. Since then, I have kept track, and can say when the Summer rules expanded, the pay for most did not. I do know some districts will compensate their coaches for the time they spend in the Summer. That may factor in as well. 

Bottom line; similar to what we have to tell the politicians when it comes to education; there is more to the story than just numbers.  

“A coach may have a Master's degree that gets a small bump in pay.”  

Delusion at its finest.  A small bump?  Two head coaches above are making 25+k MORE than the top of the pay scale in their district.

You also know that teacher’s license credentials and specific job titles are also public info on the DOE right?

Check it out for yourself...the numbers just don’t add up.

Edited by Temptation
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Temptation said:

“A coach may have a Master's degree that gets a small bump in pay.”  

Delusion at its finest.  A small bump?  Two head coaches above are making 25+k MORE than the top of the pay scale in their district.

You also know that teacher’s license credentials and specific job titles are also public info on the DOE right?

Check it out for yourself...the numbers just don’t add up.

Just don’t add up?? Are you accusing school districts of “fudging their books” in order to pay coaches?? That’s pretty serious accusations...I’d tred lightly throwing around that speak. 

And why so obsessed/jealous of how much another’s making ?? Do you feel it’s not fair? If you really feel strongly perhaps you should voice your concern with local school board/superintendent. 

Do I wish I could make more?? Sure...but I’m not gonna ever cut down someone for getting theirs...teachers are grossly UNDERPAID as a profession. Plain and simple 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jets said:

Just don’t add up?? Are you accusing school districts of “fudging their books” in order to pay coaches?? That’s pretty serious accusations...I’d tred lightly throwing around that speak. 

And why so obsessed/jealous of how much another’s making ?? Do you feel it’s not fair? If you really feel strongly perhaps you should voice your concern with local school board/superintendent. 

Do I wish I could make more?? Sure...but I’m not gonna ever cut down someone for getting theirs...teachers are grossly UNDERPAID as a profession. Plain and simple 

Nothing personal at all.  Just sketchy.  My district actually has competitive wages and pays folks what they are worth...

Whether they are teaching kindergarten students lifetime reading skills, helping students pass state mandated standardized tests, or sitting in a weight room all day dissecting film for the big Friday night contest, it’s all relative to priorities I guess...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In many situations, not all, head coaches are also paid for the extra things they do.  For example, summer conditioning, extra supervision help, summer camps they put on, running the weight program if there is no strength coach, they are at the top of the pay scale and that dictates % wise what their football salary would be, and some schools make the head coach (not just football) as an administrator because they have to evaluate people and programs (asst. coaches & entire football program) which is a schools right.  Having been a head coach and labeled as an administrator and my salary covered EVRYTHING I did related to football, teaching, and supervision, this is quite fair to what these gentlemen are making.  

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Temptation said:

“A coach may have a Master's degree that gets a small bump in pay.”  

Delusion at its finest.  A small bump?  Two head coaches above are making 25+k MORE than the top of the pay scale in their district.

You also know that teacher’s license credentials and specific job titles are also public info on the DOE right?

Check it out for yourself...the numbers just don’t add up.

No need to be so sensitive there lol.....I was just stating that there is more to it than just the numbers we see, and things that contribute to it. I said small bump simply because the State limits just how much of a pay increase one receives because they  have a Master’s degree. In no way, shape, or form did I even try to imply that was a reason for the entire difference in pay. 
Also, as I stated, every stipend is posted for the public to see. It has to be a part of every contract. I gave two examples after just spending 5 minutes looking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...