Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Young Pike Defensive End Earns 1st D1 Offer

6 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

They do...but don't they also have kids on their roster from Brownsburg and Decatur Central?

2018 roster has 1 player from DC, 1 from North Central and 1 from Warren Central

https://hawkeyesports.com/roster.aspx?roster=288&path=football

2019 class includes 1 from Warren Central

https://247sports.com/college/iowa/Season/2019-Football/Commits/

They may have had some DC decommits from 2019

4 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

you are correct.....

I was thinking this young man from Brownsburg...evidently he didn't stay in Iowa City.  Looks like he played in 2016 for the Hawks as a true frosh...redshirted in 2017.

https://247sports.com/Player/Toks-Akinribade-24284/high-school-38902/

https://hawkeyesports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6390

I was also thinking of Tyrone Tracy's brother Larry from DC.  Iowa offered, but he ended up at Indiana

https://247sports.com/player/larry-tracy-85105/

Why no CG Trojans to Iowa?

I think they get their lineman from Iowa/Wisconsin/Illinois ie closer to campus. They have to branch further out for skill guys. Chicago, Indy, St. Louis, Ohio, Florida, Texas. Plus they seem to really go after height in their skill guys and I don't recall CG having a D1 skill guy over 6 ft. 

2 minutes ago, RipZGo said:

I think they get their lineman from Iowa/Wisconsin/Illinois ie closer to campus. They have to branch further out for skill guys. Chicago, Indy, St. Louis, Ohio, Florida, Texas. Plus they seem to really go after height in their skill guys and I don't recall CG having a D1 skill guy over 6 ft. 

How about the 6-10 CG TE who went to MN?

3 minutes ago, RipZGo said:

Iowa reminds me a little of Stanford.  They both love the tall, rangy guys who they can develop in the weight room.  

Just now, DT said:

How about the 6-10 CG TE who went to MN?

Nate Wozniak

When I coached at CP, we used to travel to CG for a team night. I remember him. Seemed like he was as tall as one of the light structures. 

7 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

Maybe one day.  We  visited the school this summer as our daughter applied and was accepted to their IT program.  We loved the program and the campus.  Snuck into Kinnick Stadium while under renovation.  But IU and Purdue were closer to home....and a little cheaper.

BTW, totally in agreement with your MIC comment.  But as you can see, looks like they keep an overall good eye on Indy.  In the recent past 2017-19) , they also offered Markese Stepp, Cam McGrone, David Bell, Reese Taylor, Samson James, Beau Robbins, Hunter Johnson, Kurt Rafdal, Pete Werner and Ben Stewart

Iowa is a real threat to Tom Allen and the IU recruiting staff.  They need to figure out a way to shut down this Hawkeye pipeline.  Maybe they should hire the Iowa recruiter who is handling Indianapolis.  

8 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

Nate Wozniak

When I coached at CP, we used to travel to CG for a team night. I remember him. Seemed like he was as tall as one of the light structures. 

Truth is , Center Grove's best players are typically MAC type guys, or the service academies.  The CG to IU pipeline has been open for many years, but very few of those kids were impact players in The Big Ten.  They would have been better served to play in The MAC

Van Alstyne saw action at Michigan.

Swann played some at Stanford

Paxson was their all time highest rated recruit, but he spurned Purdue and Tennessee for a baseball career.  

Edited by DT

Skill guys are normally backs/receivers/db's and I'd classify TE/LB as front 7. But stand corrected on those two I guess. 

And IU should be more worried about Purdue taking Indy recruits than Iowa. Iowa has consistently been a top 25 program for years. Why wouldn't kids go there instead of IU other than being close to home?

7 minutes ago, RipZGo said:

Skill guys are normally backs/receivers/db's and I'd classify TE/LB as front 7. But stand corrected on those two I guess. 

And IU should be more worried about Purdue taking Indy recruits than Iowa. Iowa has consistently been a top 25 program for years. Why wouldn't kids go there instead of IU other than being close to home?

Iowa has not historically recruited Indiana.  This is a new and real threat, which needs to be addressed by Allen and his staff.  Allen is on record that he wants to own the Top 10 recruits in the state.  Notre Dame, Michigan and Ohio State are always going to cherry pick the Top 5, so Allen is getting a real challenge from Ferentz for the best of the rest.  

Brohm has a broader recruiting sphere, and wont be around very long anyway.  Allen wants to be at IU for 15 more years.  This is his time to make his mark.  He has a good start.  He got 4 out of the top 10 in the 2019 class.  Best ever for IU.  

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Season/2019-Football/Commits/

Edited by DT

2 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

You are leaving a few out....and not sure JB Paxson is still their highest recruit.  Swann and Tidd are currently having excellent careers at Stanford and Vandy respectively.  Wozniak had a nice career at Minnesota.  McClurg was a starting LB at IU.  Van Alystyne knee injuries limited him...the ND and Michigan recruit was outstanding.  Hale was a 4 year letterman at Ohio State.  Russ Yeast has been playing at Louisville.  

BTW, not a darn thing wrong with playing in the MAC or the service academies....not sure if there is much harder for a student athlete than to play and be successful at the service academies.  Army has been rolling lately.  I bet IU would dream to have a season like Army had the last 3 years.

Yeast is a product of his Dads marketing efforts.  Nice player, but would have a more productive career at a lower level school.

Guys like Ladd, Stoner, Edmondson, McClurg, Buckingham, Luallen were all over recruited , in my opinion.  They were in over their heads at the D1 level.  Kudos to Moore for getting them scholarships, but he may have oversold their capabilities.  

I had the same problem coming out of high school.  I told my coach I wanted to go to a D2 school.  He told me I was D3 at best.  He was right.  LOL    Of course, he was a D1 college QB in The Big Ten.  What the hell did I know.  Snot nosed 18 year old know it all kid from The Region.   😀

12 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

You are leaving a few out....and not sure JB Paxson is still their highest recruit.  Swann and Tidd are currently having excellent careers at Stanford and Vandy respectively.  Wozniak had a nice career at Minnesota.  McClurg was a starting LB at IU.  Van Alystyne knee injuries limited him...the ND and Michigan recruit was outstanding.  Hale was a 4 year letterman at Ohio State.  Russ Yeast has been playing at Louisville.  

BTW, not a darn thing wrong with playing in the MAC or the service academies....not sure if there is much harder for a student athlete than to play and be successful at the service academies.  Army has been rolling lately.  I bet IU would dream to have a season like Army had the last 3 years.

Paxson would be a 4star recruit using today's ranking systems.  Similar rating and outlook to George K at WL.  CG has never had a 4star that I can recall.

He absolutely was their all time highest rated-regarded recruit.  

Edited by DT

6 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2017/russ-yeast-2875

Every article I read about Russ Yeast lists him as a 4 star recruit.

17 Power 5 offers to include Alabama, Auburn, Oklahoma and Notre Dame and Indiana Gatorade Player of the Year.  His Dad must be a heck of a marketer.  

He doesn't pass the eye test for me.  Looks very smallish in pads.  Fast, but not elite breakaway speed.  McCoy and Steele will be much lower rated recruits, but both far more dangerous, in my view.  

And he is not in anyway a product of the CG development system.  I consider him an outlier.  Nice eplayer, have no expectations that he will make an impact in college

Edited by DT

4 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

2 McClurg's played at IU....one became a starting LB

Stoner had a number of offers as well to include Penn State.  The young man was all American in track his soph year at IU.  If anything, he was spread too thin playing 2 sports.

You know as well as anyone...it takes more than skill to succeed at the next level.  

My point is, CG has had very few impact players at the D1 level.  

Hale and Swann probably the two most notable.   And Hale was just a part time player at OSU.  Perhaps he would have been better suited at IU.   Vandy and IU are bottom dwellers in their respective conferences, so you have to take that into consideration.

1 hour ago, DT said:

Yeast is a product of his Dads marketing efforts.  Nice player, but would have a more productive career at a lower level school.

Guys like Ladd, Stoner, Edmondson, McClurg, Buckingham, Luallen were all over recruited , in my opinion.  They were in over their heads at the D1 level.  Kudos to Moore for getting them scholarships, but he may have oversold their capabilities.  

I had the same problem coming out of high school.  I told my coach I wanted to go to a D2 school.  He told me I was D3 at best.  He was right.  LOL    Of course, he was a D1 college QB in The Big Ten.  What the hell did I know.  Snot nosed 18 year old know it all kid from The Region.   😀

Coach Shelbourn (sp). Graduate of Gary Lee Wallace and Northwestern (?). My uncle played w him at LW. 

3 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

2 McClurg's played at IU....one became a starting LB

Stoner had a number of offers as well to include Penn State.  The young man was all American in track his soph year at IU.  If anything, he was spread too thin playing 2 sports.

You know as well as anyone...it takes more than skill to succeed at the next level.  

And one of them is on his way back to the Big Ten. Adam is currently an umpire in the Missouri Valley. I believe he's had some alternate assignments in the MAC or B1G. I would be surprised if he doesn't ultimately get there.

4 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

Ahh...typical DT....always moving the goal posts around.  So now, it only counts if a player is in the schools development system.  If an athlete moves into and area and graduates, it doesn't count.....interesting logic.

Bet that never happens much.......

Bored today?

Russ was basically a free agent and chose CG over other options.  I do indeed view him differently than other CG graduates.  

4 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

Do you mean Power 5?  I just mentioned Aukerman and his stellar career at Army.  Parker Ferguson is currently a starting LT tackle as a soph at Air Force.  

Halterman was another guy that had a nice career at IU and was on the Colts roster for awhile.  Wozniak was a multiple year starter at Minnesota and is now being paid by the Saints as he develops in a LT.

Not sure I would put Vandy with IU.  They've been going to bowls lately....not sure IU could whip Tennessee or hang with ND. 

Besides, when did it become a negative to play ball man at the next level, regardless of the conference??

The academies are closer to MAC level than they are to P5

If I am not mistaken, Luellen is working in Nashville with a former Bomber in a facility that specializes in football development, speed/strength, they help train guys getting ready for NFL and local college/HS kids as well. 

When St Joe was open in Rensselaer, I was always hoping they would hire Football coaches in their 40-60's age range, so they could bring hopefully their wonderful football playing son(s), instead they hired young guys in the mid 20s, granted they were also very good coaches, but clearly didn't have those teenage boys to give to the Bomber program!!!