Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Fort Wayne Area Outside The Huddle Field Countdown

https://outsidethehuddle.net/2020/04/28/oth-football-field-countdown-10-luersfield/

Enjoy this comment (rings a bell):

Northrop coach/former player Jason Doerffler: 

The playing surface has improved greatly the past few years. When I played, it always seemed to be wet and the grass was real long. But when we visited last year it was in great shape. 

• Haha 1

I do not like going to games there.     Parking is terrible, seating inadequate and restrooms and concessions are very limited.     Lighting and field surface are not the best.     The only good thing about it is that there is no track around it.   If I want to catch a Luers game, I usually grab a road game.

1 hour ago, whiteshoes said:

I do not like going to games there.     Parking is terrible, seating inadequate and restrooms and concessions are very limited.     Lighting and field surface are not the best.     The only good thing about it is that there is no track around it.   If I want to catch a Luers game, I usually grab a road game.

Hmmm? Maybe I just get there early or I know where to park.  The restrooms are not the best, but they did add some portables near to the stadium.  I've not heard a complaint about the concessions.  There's been a track there since it was built, it used to be cinder, but it's been a real track for many, many years.  When's the last time you've been there?

download-2.jpg

Edited by Robert

3 hours ago, whiteshoes said:

Never had trouble parking but then again I'm smart enough to spot the track that has been there since it opened in 1980.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, jakone said:

Never had trouble parking but then again I'm smart enough to spot the track that has been there since it opened in 1980.

I've never had trouble parking either.  There's a decent sized shopping center and a gate on the other side.  The retention pond makes it a little bit of a walk, but not that bad.  Heck, I had a much harder time parking at Chatard and Hobart.  I think I park farther at Eastside to the visitor stands than I do at Kroger Southgate. 

Parking isn't a issue. I think it's a nice place for a football game. My only qualm is seating on the visitor side. It's normally ok for most opponents. It becomes a problem in big games agaisnt Snider, Dwenger, and I'm presuming deep run playoff games. I was there for a BIG game against Dwenger. They brought in extra seating. I don't think they've done that for Snider games. When I go to a game there, I normally don't fight the crowd on the other side, I just find a good seat on the home side. Kudos to Knights Field for coming in at #10. I'm guessing they rated 30 fields or more. 

Hopefully former players like Jaylon Smith and Kevin Kiermaier can chip in a tiny amount to improve things. One is on a 64 million dollar contract the other is on a 50 million dollar contract. Yes I'm like congress I like to spend other people's money.😁

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jakone said:

Hopefully former players like Jaylon Smith and Kevin Kiermaier can chip in a tiny amount to improve things. One is on a 64 million dollar contract the other is on a 50 million dollar contract. Yes I'm like congress I like to spend other people's money.😁

Not gonna lie, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe Anthony Spencer could throw in a few 🙂 

11 hours ago, psaboy said:

How man Luers players have or are in the NFL??

Anthony Spencer played nine years for the Cowboys ending in 2015. Jaylon Smith is currently playing for the Cowboys. Austin Mack recently signed with the Giants. Kevin Kiermaier who played football at Luers is one of the best defensive players in baseball plays for Tampa Bay Rays.

• Thanks 1

There ya go Robert. Spuller isn't even on the radar. Maybe lacking the small town atmosphere? I still like Spuller during big games with Dwenger, Penn, and Homestead. Even Luers........they bring a good crowd considering the size of the school (I won't include Carmel since they really don't bring many fans). Nothing like seeing 5000-8000 fans packing the house and spilling out onto the hills and track. I can see where OTH is coming from though, it makes me want to check out some of the facilities and take in the atmosphere. 

13 hours ago, BTF said:

There ya go Robert. Spuller isn't even on the radar. Maybe lacking the small town atmosphere? I still like Spuller during big games with Dwenger, Penn, and Homestead. Even Luers........they bring a good crowd considering the size of the school (I won't include Carmel since they really don't bring many fans). Nothing like seeing 5000-8000 fans packing the house and spilling out onto the hills and track. I can see where OTH is coming from though, it makes me want to check out some of the facilities and take in the atmosphere. 

I need to reread the articles and take it all in.  Since I'm a fan and teacher at small schools, I've been to many of the smaller schools in the area.  If I'm going off of fatboy food, but my favorite is Eastbrook sausage, Woodlan donuts, and I think Goshen High School was very good.  Now that I'm on a super diet, I try to stay away from those things.  🙂

Edited by Robert
  • Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 9:51 AM, Robert said:

I need to reread the articles and take it all in.  Since I'm a fan and teacher at small schools, I've been to many of the smaller schools in the area.  If I'm going off of fatboy food, but my favorite is Eastbrook sausage, Woodlan donuts, and I think Goshen High School was very good.  Now that I'm on a super diet, I try to stay away from those things.  🙂

I've been corrected on another post...The Eastbrook is beef.  Yuccaguy.  I wonder where I had that delicious sausage!!!????

From another post..

On 11/18/2019 at 8:48 AM, whiteshoes said:

Their rib eye steak sandwich is worth the trip by itself.   However, throw in a great game as well and it makes a perfect night.

They changed from Ribeye to a Strip Steak for the sandwich this year. Excellent fare for a high school football game.

18 hours ago, BTF said:

Sounds like community support was the biggest factor. It's just one man's opinion. 

Justin Kenny???  Is that the writer?  

Edited by Robert