Head Coach Openings 2024 ×

Minnich Field, Adams Central High School

Glad we made the list. The playing field is always very well kept by the maintenance staff. It hasn't changed much, but everything around it sure has. From the first games I watched as a young boy, to being on the sideline/playing of 4 years in high school & 2 years middle school, and to being a fan post playing days the mystique changed/faded. Not a knock on the field, just changes that take place in life.

As a young elementary kid, the field was right across from the playground. Naturally 85% of the boys in each grade would play football. You'd look over there and dream what it was going to be like. That changed (during my middle school years) as the new elementary section took up most of the playground. The next change was in the middle of my high school career. The new locker room & concession building was erected. It was definitely odd not making the trek across the parking lot onto the field. I missed the click clack of the cleats and some of the pregame rituals that had been done in and around the school. The new facility was/is nice, but was just different. The big change was the PA announcer retiring. I'm glad Coach McClure stepped up and is doing it, but it is different than Mr. Larry Tom's voice. His iconic "First Down Adams Central" had a unique ring to it that others just won't be able to match (no knock on them).

Now as a fan post playing days, it is also different. The stands are changed (for the better) but the seating arrangement changed a bit. Even a few of the regulars standing along the fence have moved spots it seems. My concern is more people are going to become like me and start watching the webcasts when life gets busy or the weather isn't that great. I love the webcast service, but I just don't want it to take away from the atmosphere at the Landing Strip (in the heart of the Airstrip in Monroe). Luckily the school is a close community and family members, friends, and neighbors feel the attachment to the students/athletes and the school to come out and support them very well.  

Though all of the change has taken place around the field, the field is still the same as it has always been. The beloved Flying Jets have been doing quite well with a few down years here and there. The kids still make the tunnel for the team to run through. The Flying Jets come out with their hard nosed running game with some play action mixed in, and bring the hard hitting defense. The fans are still knowledgeable of the rules and situations of the game. I believe the nachos and popcorn are still as good as they've always been and the hot chocolate keeps you warm in the deep playoff runs. The most important constant is that fans of all ages live for the Friday Night Lights to support their beloved Adams Central Flying Jets in person, listening to the radio, watching the webcast, checking their phone/devices all over the country and world. The luckiest ones are those in attendance at Monroe those Friday nights.