Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Best helmet in Indiana

I’m looking to create a bracket to determine the best high school football helmet in Indiana, which will then be entered into the national tournament. Similar Twitter poll-rna,ents have taken place in Illinois, Missouri, Wisconsin, etc. So I figured why not get Indiana in the mix.

i was hoping you all could help get this off the ground by getting as many schools involved as possible. 

Heres the link link to my tweet. Hope to start next Friday.

https://twitter.com/sports_aaron/status/1256221838155190272?s=21

• Like 1

I have about 40 helmets as of right now. I'd love to get more and have a better representation of the state if you all wouldn't mind sharing? I put out a new callout today, too, to include a slick new graphic. There are roughly 20 states involved and several others that have expressed interest.

https://twitter.com/Sports_Aaron/status/1258046730400129025?s=20

31 minutes ago, Sports_Aaron said:

Big Michigan guy, yeah?

Guilty.

Anyone know the original reasoning for the winged helmet?

4 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Guilty.

You've heard the saying "When pigs fly"?

The original was "Michigan will be able to play football when wolverines fly". 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Guilty.

It goes back to the days of leather helmets. The seams in the leather were sewn in that pattern; and teams often did color combinations with it very much like we see now on the UM helmet. Funny story about Bo being hired. At the press conference to introduce him, he said he was excited to be there and that he could not wait to change the ugly helmets. 😄

3 minutes ago, Irishman said:

It goes back to the days of leather helmets. The seams in the leather were sewn in that pattern; and teams often did color combinations with it very much like we see now on the UM helmet. Funny story about Bo being hired. At the press conference to introduce him, he said he was excited to be there and that he could not wait to change the ugly helmets. 😄

True but the wings actually gave the Wolverines a competitive advantage...

Anyone?

8 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Didn’t Princeton have the first winged helmet?

Yes, good catch.  Eventual Michigan coaching legend Fritz Crisler ordered them while coaching at Princeton in the mid 1930’s  to spice up the helmets and after collecting some data realized they were a competitive advantage for his offense while at Michigan.

Edited by Guest

I’m personally a big fan of the Southridge helmets 

Also liked the Charlestown Pirates design...although I believe they switched to a white helmet and I was a fan of the Blue helmet they had 

white helmets are generally sleek.  I love the current GIbson Southern helmet vs what I had when I was in high school.  But for the the topic of this thread I certainly wouldn’t include it in the list. 

35 minutes ago, Irishman said:

New Haven went with a darker gold......by accident, but we like it much better than the standard gold. We went with the large bulldog 2 seasons ago. The players’ numbers are on the other side of the helmet. 

397A58A6-9BDD-49BB-ACDD-C4E727799521.jpeg

LOVE me some New Haven Bulldogs!

44 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I’m personally a big fan of the Southridge helmets 

Also liked the Charlestown Pirates design...although I believe they switched to a white helmet and I was a fan of the Blue helmet they had 

white helmets are generally sleek.  I love the current GIbson Southern helmet vs what I had when I was in high school.  But for the the topic of this thread I certainly wouldn’t include it in the list. 

I'm a fan of those Gibson Southern helmets. I particularly like the striping down the middle.

2 hours ago, Irishman said:

New Haven went with a darker gold......by accident, but we like it much better than the standard gold. We went with the large bulldog 2 seasons ago. The players’ numbers are on the other side of the helmet. 

397A58A6-9BDD-49BB-ACDD-C4E727799521.jpeg

Keeping the purple paint factory in business I see.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Bombers switched up decals this past year to the Chrome'd out R and other items, kids seemed to enjoy it!!!

Maybe you should spend less on helmets and more on T-shirts. 😀😀 (I kid, I kid.)

And somehow all my teenage son’s t-shirts have lost their sleeves in the last few months. So the same joke applies to our household. Lol

• Like 1