Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

JULY 1st HERE WE COME

IHSAA RELEASE 

IHSAA Statement on Remainder of During the School Year Out of Season Activities and the Beginning of Summer

Recently, Dr. Jennifer McCormick, State Superintendent of Public Instruction clarified the school closure order which ends on June 30, 2020. June 30th is the end of the traditionally defined school year in our state; therefore, school buildings are to remain closed through June 30, 2020. In light of this directive, the Indiana High School Athletic Association is hereby suspending any school sponsored athletic activities through June 30, 2020. School sponsored activities are any school authorized activities directed, observed or instructed by the school’s coaching staff regardless of the location. This includes any conditioning, skills development and associated activities through the end of June. Conditioning and During the School Year activities may only occur in or on school property, subsequently, these activities are hereby suspended. Question 15-56 of the IHSAA by-laws provides the following:

Q. 15-56 Can a School have a Summer Open Facility session “off-campus”, or at a location which is not owned by or officially controlled by the School?

A. No, like a Limited Contact Program, a Summer Open Facility Program must be conducted on campus or at a site where home Contests are regularly held. For example, a School cannot conduct a Summer Open Facility session at the local batting cage for its students wishing to work on their baseball skills but could hold Summer Open Facility session at a municipal field if that is where the School regularly held its home Contests.

Provided there are no adjustments to Governor Eric Holcomb’s announced plans to re-open the State of Indiana, school sponsored summer activities may resume on July 1, 2020.

Rule 15-3.4 of the IHSAA by-laws provides that a moratorium week shall be observed on the Monday through Sunday which includes July 4th. July 1, 2020 would normally fall during the prescribed moratorium week. In light of the amount of time students have been restricted from school and contact with their teammates and coaches, the Association is hereby waiving Rule 15-3.4fortheyear2020. Therefore;contactwithstudentsundertheprovisionsofRule15-3may occur beginning on Wednesday, July 1, 2020 and continue through Saturday of Week 4 of the IHSAA calendar which is August 1, 2020.

IHSAA Statement on Remainder of During the School Year Out of Season Activities and the Beginning of Summer.pdf

• Like 1

I have to admit, this doesn't make sense to me.  Kids can pay and go to a gym on 5/24 and that is OK, but cannot step foot in the free weight room at their high school for another five weeks after that.  If you have a little league field at your school kids can't step foot on the field until 7/1, but if the field is located in a city park it should be safe by 6/14.  It seems like the complete lockdown of school campuses isn't consistent with other parts of the reopening plan.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lemmy said:

I have to admit, this doesn't make sense to me.  Kids can pay and go to a gym on 5/24 and that is OK, but cannot step foot in the free weight room at their high school for another five weeks after that.  If you have a little league field at your school kids can't step foot on the field until 7/1, but if the field is located in a city park it should be safe by 6/14.  It seems like the complete lockdown of school campuses isn't consistent with other parts of the reopening plan.  

I actually think the IHSAA and department of education are acting smart...up until the other day, i thought the government in this state was too. Nothing like putting politics over people. 

Edited by Ultimate Warrior
  • Disdain 3

It will be interesting to see what happens when there is a confirmed case on a team.  Prior to the season and especially during the season.

Would a coach instruct their players to not get tested for the virus and just stay home sick so the team can continue?

32 minutes ago, HoopsCoach said:

It will be interesting to see what happens when there is a confirmed case on a team.  Prior to the season and especially during the season.

Would a coach instruct their players to not get tested for the virus and just stay home sick so the team can continue?

The smart coaches will have a social gathering of less than 250 players at an amusement park or playground on June 16. (Within current guidelines). Have all the players take turns spitting in each other’s faces, self-isolate for 2 weeks and then everyone can practice July 1st. Problem solved.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Listen , this is all going to be new to everyone.

What I like about it is the proactive approach led by the tier system the governor is putting out there, which of course is a moving target date. 

I see it as when gyms and other places allow flow of people again in a couple of weeks, that should give state of Indiana a good 5 weeks of data to see how COVID is reacting, if there is a large spike of cases as Indiana eases back into "normalcy" then you can expect the July 1st date to change.   Just my opinion

AND PLEASE:  do not make this thread political, we have an entire sub forum full of people who will love to have you share opinions in there.  have at it 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

The smart coaches will have a social gathering of less than 250 players at an amusement park or playground on June 16. (Within current guidelines). Have all the players take turns spitting in each other’s faces, self-isolate for 2 weeks and then everyone can practice July 1st. Problem solved.

Dwight was right again. 

On 5/6/2020 at 12:54 PM, Lemmy said:

As I expected, I have just seen my first advertisement for a girls travel softball tournament June 20-21st.

July 1st (which is really July 6th after moratorium) was a CYA choice by the IHSAA in my opinion.

The state did an antibody test on a control group before reopening as well as a virus test on same individuals. We have consistently been at 20 percent positive on nasal covid tests since the beginning. My guess is a LARGE majority had antibodies. Cases WILL go up with more testing.. that is a no brainer.. The highest counties have the highest amount of tests. Lake County and Marion County have tested more people by far, look at the numbers. Its consistently around 20% positive. The governor has said he will look at hospitalizations, which is the only TOTAL accurate number we have. There may be 2 million positive cases in state, but we are never going to know... All we can go off of is hospitalizations.

• Thanks 1

On 5/8/2020 at 5:58 PM, Raven67 said:

The state did an antibody test on a control group before reopening as well as a virus test on same individuals. We have consistently been at 20 percent positive on nasal covid tests since the beginning. My guess is a LARGE majority had antibodies. Cases WILL go up with more testing.. that is a no brainer.. The highest counties have the highest amount of tests. Lake County and Marion County have tested more people by far, look at the numbers. Its consistently around 20% positive. The governor has said he will look at hospitalizations, which is the only TOTAL accurate number we have. There may be 2 million positive cases in state, but we are never going to know... All we can go off of is hospitalizations.

“[A] LARGE majority” of the 20% had antibodies? Or “a LARGE majority” of the general population had antibodies? If the former, that doesn’t seem too significant. If the latter, I’d love to hear what supports that conclusion.

4 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Travel SB is starting June 13-14.

We just got word that our boys' travel baseball program has OK'd a start to return to practices for May 24 and games could commence in mid-June ... of course, still pending developments of a re-opening economy.  One roadblock though is that the county schools are still on lockdown until June 30, so the teams can't use those facilities until then ... will have to look for other places to practice.

2 hours ago, foxbat said:

We just got word that our boys' travel baseball program has OK'd a start to return to practices for May 24 and games could commence in mid-June ... of course, still pending developments of a re-opening economy.  One roadblock though is that the county schools are still on lockdown until June 30, so the teams can't use those facilities until then ... will have to look for other places to practice.

Travel baseball practices have already begun here in Evansville. Which highlights the illogical nature of the July 1 date set by the IHSAA/InDOE

Option A - Athletes can practice with their HS fall sports teams, supervised by their HS coaches at their local HS facilities 

Option B - No more than 2-3 athletes from each school, resulting in a mixture of 5-6 schools, form a team. Then this team from Evansville goes to Westfield to play teams from Ft Wayne, Lafayette, Jeffersonville, and Carmel. 

If I had to choose which would be ‘safer’ from a public health perspective, I am choosing A. It’s not just a baseball/foootball thing. I can’t wait to see those travel soccer tournament photos in June as well.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

Travel baseball practices have already begun here in Evansville. Which highlights the illogical nature of the July 1 date set by the IHSAA/InDOE

Option A - Athletes can practice with their HS fall sports teams, supervised by their HS coaches at their local HS facilities 

Option B - No more than 2-3 athletes from each school, resulting in a mixture of 5-6 schools, form a team. Then this team from Evansville goes to Westfield to play teams from Ft Wayne, Lafayette, Jeffersonville, and Carmel. 

If I had to choose which would be ‘safer’ from a public health perspective, I am choosing A. It’s not just a baseball/foootball thing. I can’t wait to see those travel soccer tournament photos in June as well.

Back in my daughter’s TB days, we never had two kids from the same school.